Closeup photo of the factory installed roof rails cx-9 2016-18

ronkayes

:
CX-9
Can someone post a closeup image of the factory installed roof rails? Just wanted to see if there is a rubber molding under the railing.

Thanks
Ron

Can someone post a closeup image of the factory installed roof rails? Just wanted to see if there is a rubber molding under the railing.

Thanks
Ron

I'm up there all the time when detailing. I've never seen a rubber molding protruding from underneath the rails. This also depicts no rubber molding as part of the roof rail kit (left or right): https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/auto-parts/2017/mazda/cx-9/signature-trim/2-5l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/roof-and-components-scat/?part_number=tk487105y

I'm up there all the time when detailing. I've never seen a rubber molding protruding from underneath the rails. This also depicts no rubber molding as part of the roof rail kit (left or right): https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/auto-parts/2017/mazda/cx-9/signature-trim/2-5l-l4-gas-engine/body-cat/roof-and-components-scat/?part_number=tk487105y

Thanks for checking. Interesting !! I surprised that Mazda chose not to use any molding under the railing. But without some sort of molding, the gap between the rails and the roof looks unfinished and water can collect under the rails.

I bought the OEM roof rails and there is no molding of any sort in the box nor are there instructions to modify the existing roof molding to close the gaps between the railings and the roof. The instructions simply tell you to remove the existing roof molding and discard.

Here is the picture of the roof molding that came with my Touring. Unlike the diagram, there are no cutouts on the molding for the bolts.
https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/...4-gas-engine/body-cat/exterior-trim-roof-scat

Thanks for checking. Interesting !! I surprised that Mazda chose not to use any molding under the railing. But without some sort of molding, the gap between the rails and the roof looks unfinished and water can collect under the rails.

Honestly, I think its designed to drain externally. I don't have any leakage issues and like I said, I'm constantly detailing it.

I bought the OEM roof rails and there is no molding of any sort in the box nor are there instructions to modify the existing roof molding to close the gaps between the railings and the roof. The instructions simply tell you to remove the existing roof molding and discard.

The gap you see on both sides of the railing probably acts like a duct, channeling water off the roof and down through an exterior pathway from above. Notice that when you wash the new CX-9, it will take several opening and closing cycles of the rear hatch before all the water drains out. That water must be coming from somewhere and even though I can visually see that the roof itself is dry, I cannot account for where the water went that made its way through the gaps in the roof rails. I estimate that it must be channeling someway down the rear and front of the roof area. I notice too, that my side view mirrors will continue to drain water for a long period of time after washing, no matter how many times I fold them forwards and backwards. The water just keeps coming.

I think Mazda is draining water from the roof down through the rear and front areas of the roof rails and then further downward through some other portion of the vehicle. I would not close those OEM gaps, personally.

Here is the picture of the roof molding that came with my Touring. Unlike the diagram, there are no cutouts on the molding for the bolts.

Ah, ok. You are looking at the Roof Molding. However, that's not a rubber part. So, you threw me off. All Trims should have Roof Molding Clips seen here, however: https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/oem-parts/mazda-roof-molding-clip-d3y050629a/?c=bT0xJmc9Ym9keSZzPWV4dGVyaW9yLXRyaW0tcm9vZiZpPTU0NzAzOTU1JnI9NSZhPW1hemRhJm89Y3gtOSZ5PTIwMTcmdD1zaWduYXR1cmUmZT0yLTVsLWw0LWdhcw%3D%3D

My first pic showed the internal part as the Roof Molding (your last pic) has to connect to something structural. Roof Rail: https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/oem-parts/mazda-roof-rail-tk487105y/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9cm9vZi1hbmQtY29tcG9uZW50cyZpPTUzMzE1MjA1JnI9MTImYT1tYXpkYSZvPWN4LTkmeT0yMDE3JnQ9c2lnbmF0dXJlJmU9Mi01bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

Last edited:
Honestly, I think its designed to drain externally. I don't have any leakage issues and like I said, I'm constantly detailing it.

The gap you see on both sides of the railing probably acts like a duct, channeling water off the roof and down through an exterior pathway from above. Notice that when you wash the new CX-9, it will take several opening and closing cycles of the rear hatch before all the water drains out. That water must be coming from somewhere and even though I can visually see that the roof itself is dry, I cannot account for where the water went that made its way through the gaps in the roof rails. I estimate that it must be channeling someway down the rear and front of the roof area. I notice too, that my side view mirrors will continue to drain water for a long period of time after washing, no matter how many times I fold them forwards and backwards. The water just keeps coming.

I think Mazda is draining water from the roof down through the rear and front areas of the roof rails and then further downward through some other portion of the vehicle. I would not close those OEM gaps, personally.

Ah, ok. You are looking at the Roof Molding. However, that's not a rubber part. So, you threw me off. All Trims should have Roof Molding Clips seen here, however: https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/oem-parts/mazda-roof-molding-clip-d3y050629a/?c=bT0xJmc9Ym9keSZzPWV4dGVyaW9yLXRyaW0tcm9vZiZpPTU0NzAzOTU1JnI9NSZhPW1hemRhJm89Y3gtOSZ5PTIwMTcmdD1zaWduYXR1cmUmZT0yLTVsLWw0LWdhcw%3D%3D

My first pic showed the internal part as the Roof Molding (your last pic) has to connect to something structural. Roof Rail: https://www.oemautopartz.com/mazda/oem-parts/mazda-roof-rail-tk487105y/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9cm9vZi1hbmQtY29tcG9uZW50cyZpPTUzMzE1MjA1JnI9MTImYT1tYXpkYSZvPWN4LTkmeT0yMDE3JnQ9c2lnbmF0dXJlJmU9Mi01bC1sNC1nYXM%3D

Thanks CJ4 for your detailed response!

Well I guess as along as my install is same as the factory install, I'm OK.

That's a good price. I paid Cdn$832 -- about US$665 -- for racks and crossbars, installed, when I bought the car.

FWIW, the roof rack is a poor design. Installing/removing the crossbars requires a short T20 screwdriver or angle driver (like an allen key) and great care not to damage the roof of the car. When removed, the crossbars leave holes in the racks; you can fill them with the bolts used by the crossbars, but they stick out and are ugly. I bought eight stainless round-headed bolts, which look a lot better but still not great. Very strange for a vehicle that is so well thought out otherwise.

Where did you buy roof rails from? I just purchased the 2018 cx-9 touring and realized there are no rails on the roof !

Its an accessory package at the Touring trim level. About $450 USD and could have come with the vehicle already installed.

Last edited:
Its an accessory package at the Touring trim level. About $450 USD and could have come with the vehicle already installed.

I wonder if I call my dealer, if they'll install them for that. :-/

Doubtful, but doesn't hurt to try and ask though!

I wonder if I call my dealer, if they'll install them for that. :-/

Doubtful, but doesn't hurt to try and ask though!

If your dealer is anything like mine, not a snowballs chance. As far as not hurting by simply asking - be careful. I truly hope your experience as a new car buyer has been much different than my own, but I've rarely had a dealer that I felt comfortable touching my vehicle after the initial sale (GM, Hyundai, Dodge, Mazda, etc.). Mitsubishi, was the only dealer that took care of my ride when I put it into their care - a 3000 GT SL - many years ago. After that, its been all down hill. I take it in for one thing and get it back with several things - all bad things, of course.

Be aware that the roof panel of the CX-9 is rather flimsy. It does not like being pressed on with any amount of force. To install those roof railings, a technician will have no choice but to lean into your roof to some degree. Thus, you have to ask yourself: Is it worth the risk. For me personally, the answer would be an unbridled, no. I like the look of the CX-9 with or without roof railings, personally. I would not risk having a devil may care technician leaning into it and causing more damage than its worth - only to have that same dealer call in their "paintless dent repair guy" to fix what they just screwed up. Sorry, that's too risk for me, personally.

I'd rather spend the time, energy and effort learning how to install them myself - if I really wanted it that much. Else, I'd ride comfortably without them. To prove this to yourself, just go up there the next time you wash and detail it. Use a small step ladder or shop step and start washing the top side of the roof. You will quickly see what other people talk about when they say, flimsy.

So, no. It does not hurt to ask, but it could hurt to have your dealer touch it! Just, FYI. Be careful.

I highly doubt my dealer would do the install and parts for that price which is why I'm going to order them online, as well as silver accents for the front/rear bumpers and sides.

Luckily, a friend of mine has a shop he uses for all his body work on his car and they're great at installing aftermarket parts, custom stuff, etc. so I'd most likely bring it there and have them install them.

Back