loud heat/air from windshield vent

lgnd4u2nv

:
2016 CX-5 GT AWD
Hello everyone, I'm brand new here, and brand new to the CX-5. I bought a CPO 2016 CX-5 CT AWD a couple of days ago. So far, I really like the car. One thing I have noticed is when I have the heat on the feet setting, air still gets blown out of the windshield vents and it is very loud. It sounds about the same as when you have the heat on full blast and on the windshield only setting. Is this normal? Or maybe the damper that is supposed to shut off the windshield vents isn't closing all the way when set to feet mode?

I understand how defrost works. My question is for when defrost is OFF and you have manually selected to have the heat come out at your feet only. In this scenario, should any air be coming out of the defrost vents? For me, some air does come out of the defrost vents, and it is very noisy.

I have my fan settings at 2 usually so I don’t hear the noise. There is air coming from the defrost but I like it as fresh air to mix with the heated. My setting is on windshield and feet. Maybe this is a default setup but I appreciate it.

yeah when I have it on fan speed 2 it isn't loud, but when I turn it up to 3 or more on the feet only setting, the air coming out of the defrost vents is really loud. Just trying to find out if it is normal or not.

Lgnd4u2nv,

Yes if you have the Auto presses left dial illuminated it will start off with air being pushed to the front windshield and at your feet. As it heats up the air is directed less to the windshield and more to the feet (as heat raises it keeps the cabin warm). It keep a small amount flowing to the windshield to help keep it clear without having to run the front defrost.. when I first got my 2016.5 it fought my attention too. Now I find it very useful and I dont notice it but I do like the way it keeps us warm and the front clear.

Lgnd4u2nv,

Yes if you have the Auto presses left dial illuminated it will start off with air being pushed to the front windshield and at your feet. As it heats up the air is directed less to the windshield and more to the feet (as heat raises it keeps the cabin warm). It keep a small amount flowing to the windshield to help keep it clear without having to run the front defrost.. when I first got my 2016.5 it fought my attention too. Now I find it very useful and I don’t “notice” it but I do like the way it keeps us warm and the front clear.

Thanks for that info. I also like how it is set up. The incoming fresh air also keeps me alert.

Nice explanation from ddtigger1.

In the 2017 CX-5's owner's manual, it tells you what to expect from each climate mode, using pictures with arrows. If you look carefully at the Floor mode picture, you will large arrows at the floor vents, and tiny arrows representing the air still coming out of the defroster vents.

I've switched to Floor/Center mode to cut down the defroster noise, but I'll be more forgiving if the Floor mode reduces the defrost flow as the car warms up. By that time, I can also just switch to a lower fan speed.

I came to the forum today to post a very similar question.
Scenario: Cold morning, pull out of the garage, no frost, condensation or dirt on the car, climate control set to "auto", temp set to 68F.
What happens: The display shows "Windshield and Feet", the fan cranks up to 4 and cold air come screeching out of the defroster vents. Cold air. Like, the car just started at 28F cold air. I pull it into manual and smooth the tempest, but if I turn auto back on...away she goes...gale force winds. I don't think it should really do that.

Thoughts?

doesn't sound normal. i leave my hvac on auto all the time and just use the knob to adjust, when the car is cold it doesn't blow out the air until the engine warms up

Scenario: Cold morning, pull out of the garage, no frost, condensation or dirt on the car, climate control set to "auto", temp set to 68F.
What happens: The display shows "Windshield and Feet", the fan cranks up to 4 and cold air come screeching out of the defroster vents. Cold air. Like, the car just started at 28F cold air. I pull it into manual and smooth the tempest, but if I turn auto back on...away she goes...gale force winds. I don't think it should really do that.

Thoughts?

Mine works similar... late 2017 GT Premium. Others have said fan starts slower, but mine doesn't. Maybe there is a TSB - i haven't heard of one. But for me, Auto is only worth it after the car is warmed up. It may be better in the summer.

It could also be that my car is stored in the insulated garage, and maybe that causes the computer to misinterpret true outside temps? I don't know. If I was programming it, I would put it on windshield only until car came up to operating temp, and even that at lower speed.

Mine works similar... late 2017 GT Premium. Others have said fan starts slower, but mine doesn't. Maybe there is a TSB - i haven't heard of one. But for me, Auto is only worth it after the car is warmed up. It may be better in the summer.

It could also be that my car is stored in the insulated garage, and maybe that causes the computer to misinterpret true outside temps? I don't know. If I was programming it, I would put it on windshield only until car came up to operating temp, and even that at lower speed.

Thoughts?

Mine is exactly the same. Seems to be "normal". Some poor decisions may have been made when they decided how to program the beast. They may have been more worried about condensation on the windshield than need be. Regardless, it should not blow cold air when it's cold, unless the operator chooses to.

I only use auto when the car is up to operating temperature. Until then, I rely on those glorious heated seats.

Back