2001 Mazda Tribute still won't start after new starter. Single click only

GaryB106

:
Tribute
I bought a 2001 Mazda Tribute with 195K miles on it. After a couple of hundred miles, I had to replace the fuel pump, and all was well for a while. Over a few days, it had 2 episodes of running rough and stalling after starting up, then it would be ok. My daughter drove it about 1/2 mile for an errand, and it wouldnt start after and was towed home. I made sure the battery was solid. The ground cable isnt in great shape at connector, but the lights, etc do work. I swapped out the starter relay for another one in the block to no avail. I put in a new Bosch starter, and after, the engine weakly threatened to turn over, then nothing. All it gets now is a single click coming from the starter (or solenoid?). I bench tested the old starter for laughs and it seems to kick out and spins fine.

Incidentally, I did find a disconnected vacuum line that I cant find where it goes for the life of me.

Im grasping at YouTube videos after that. Any help would obviously be much appreciated.

You said the battery is "solid", has it been load tested or did you just check voltage? How old is the battery? Sometimes battery can show good voltage but not have enough amps which is just as important as voltage.

Sorry for the delay and thanks for responding. The battery is about 18 mos old and came from my sons Jeep after he mistakenly bought a new one. I had it on a trickle charge for a few days before i put it in. I havent load tested it though. Ill do that next and re-post.

Sorry for the delay and thanks for responding. The battery is about 18 mos old and came from my son’s Jeep after he mistakenly bought a new one. I had it on a trickle charge for a few days before i put it in. I haven’t load tested it though. I’ll do that next and re-post.

Did you try to jump-start it? if you haven't it might be worth a shot

Did you try to jump-start it? if you haven't it might be worth a shot

yes try to jump start the car and see if that helps. sounds like a dead alternator or battery to me. it can also possibly be a faulty new starter or possibly not installed correctly... try to start the car while someone taps the starter with a wooden stick at the same time and see if that helps if it still doesnt start after a boost.

a rough idle and stalling out sounds like a clogged idle air control valve. perhaps the MAF needs cleaning, and the car could definetely use a throttle body clean at your mileage.

When I first finished the installation, I jumped it with my 6.1 L Hemi at high idle. Thats when it briefly but slowly started to turn over. I thought I was in good shape for an instant. From then on, single clicks only. I broke a PCV type valve in the front of the valve cover during the process but thats been fixed. Im in the blizzard zone so Ill be pushing it into the garage to resume in a couple of days.

I wiped the throttle body clean when I did the fuel pump. Ill clean or replace the IACV/MAF while Im there.

I do have a vacuum line hanging down that I have no idea where it goes. The lines are so old, some of them broke in my hand when I touched them.

I mistake during installation is possible. Its in a brutally tight spot and the worst part was threading the nuts back on the terminals. I have an inspection camera - maybe I can get a decent picture. Does anyone think engine seizure is a possibility here?

Thank you all again

Back