Choking feeling at idle and driving

brandonhoutz

:
2008 Mazda CX9 GT AWD
Need Help!!! I have a 2008 CX9 GT AWD approaching 140,000 miles. I am not getting any codes to help in diagnosing the issue. The issue is the car feels like its being choked at idle and driving. It gets worse with colder weather or spending a long time at idle. It has a noticeable decline in rpms while at idle not while driving though, but you can still feel it. Its not the AC Compressor kicking on. Really at a loss with the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Need Help!!! I have a 2008 CX9 GT AWD approaching 140,000 miles. I am not getting any codes to help in diagnosing the issue. The issue is the car feels like its being choked at idle and driving. It gets worse with colder weather or spending a long time at idle. It has a noticeable decline in rpms while at idle not while driving though, but you can still feel it. Its not the AC Compressor kicking on. Really at a loss with the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Check for any hose leaks (vacuum pressure) that can affect the amount of air intake that could be causing the issue. Normally you would see the check engine light go on if that was the issue but some manufacturers may have it programmed differently.

Need more info to help you:

1. Is it up to date on maintenance? Plugs, filters, etc?
2. When you say no codes, did you pull them with a scanner or is the check engine light not on?
3. What does it do at idle exactly? Does it stall out ever?

If I had to guess, it could be:
1. Deferred maintenance (worn plugs, dirty air filter, etc.) - it is not unheard of for mechanics to "forget" to replace the back 3 plugs.
2. vacuum leak somewhere
3. Bad coil pack?

Good luck.

Need more info to help you:

1. Is it up to date on maintenance? Plugs, filters, etc?
2. When you say no codes, did you pull them with a scanner or is the check engine light not on?
3. What does it do at idle exactly? Does it stall out ever?

If I had to guess, it could be:
1. Deferred maintenance (worn plugs, dirty air filter, etc.) - it is not unheard of for mechanics to "forget" to replace the back 3 plugs.
2. vacuum leak somewhere
3. Bad coil pack?

Good luck.
It is up to date on maintenance. Did not run the scanner and the CEL is not on or comes on. At idle, it drops to below 500 RPMs just like its about to stall. It has stalled before but a rare rare occurrence. As far as the vacuum leak, thats a possibility. I had a problem a while back so Im going to check on that when I get back to Texas.

Back