Maybe new CX-5 owner

Just one picture so far, and a short drive back to work from picking it up. But I'm already liking it a lot. Got Sirius/XM transferred, plunked in all my old favorites one at a time (I sure wish there was a way to transfer all your preferences from one vehicle to another like when you buy a new IPhone), and now I'm just looking forward to taking a long way home when I get out of this place.

Can't post a picture because Flickr that piece of crap won't give me a usable url. God I hate these image hosting sites.
Let's see if Smugmug does any better....

IMG_0002-M.jpg

Very nice and congratulations! What color interior did you get?

First dumb question -- does the CX-5 not come with a rear cargo cover?

It definitely does not.
But the tint on the windows on all but the Sport models makes the cover less necessary for many owners.

We wanted a cargo cover but realized it wasn’t standard with the GT. If you really have to have one, mazdaparts.org has them much cheaper. They are a sponsor here I believe. As stated above the privacy glass makes it hard to see back there anyway.

It does in certain markets such as here in Australia

Congratulations on the purchase (thumb)

I will agree that we here in the US miss out on some nice options that I’ve heard are on the top trims in other countries like Australia. Your adaptive headlight system is different from what I’ve heard plus don’t you get power folding mirrors and other niceties?

We have friends in Hobart. We hope to visit down under someday.

I will agree that we here in the US miss out on some nice options that I’ve heard are on the top trims in other countries like Australia. Your adaptive headlight system is different from what I’ve heard plus don’t you get power folding mirrors and other niceties?

Correct

Very nice and congratulations! What color interior did you get?
Black leather. It's wicked cold here right now, so it's a little slippery!

I thought the GT now did. I would ask the dealer.
Yeah, I see online that it's an option, even on the GT. The more I think about it, the more I'm ok without it. I frequently had to remove the hard shelf from my 3 to carry stuff, so that's one less thing I need to worry about now. I don't usually leave anything of value back there anyway that it needs to be covered up.

So after a slightly longer trip home this afternoon, I'm pretty pleased with how it drives. It doesn't feel all that much more top-heavy than the 3 going around corners, and while it's no quarter-mile monster, it's not a total sled, either. And Mazda seems to have caught just the right balance between compliant and firmly connected to the road. And it's quiet!

I do wish I had gotten the Premium package, but that would have driven it above my price ceiling. Maybe next time -- I have no doubt they'll be calling me again in a couple of years to do this all over again. And maybe by then they'll have figured out how to stuff a turbo in there.

Hi all,

I currently have a '15 Mazda 3s GT that the dealer has been bugging me to trade for about 6 months. I guess they've got some year-end and loyalty incentives going, because they finally quoted me a payment on a red 2017 CX-5 GT that I can live with. This dealer is itching to move cars this week. Going to there tomorrow to check out paperwork and leave a deposit if it all looks good. Kinda torn because I'm very happy with the 3, and I don't really want to give up any more performance; but I sorta need AWD here in the snowy northeast, and I've read nothing but good things about the '17 CX-5. I've been considering other options for a compact SUV, but it's kinda hard to top the Mazda for the money,and it seems like a decent step up all around from what I've got now. Merry Christmas to all!

If the dealer is that desperate and they REALLY want to move out of your current car into one of their newer cars, then when it comes time to trade your older car that you are COMPLETELY happy with; you tell the dealer that you want DOUBLE BOOK value of your current car...otherwise, deal is OFF.

YOU are doing the dealer a favor buy entertaining their offer. YOU are completely satisfied with your current car and there is absolutely no reason for you to change or "upgrade". If the dealer is willing to play, then they (the dealer) will pay. yes, the pay to play door can swing BOTH ways.

How do you "sorta need AWD"? Your '3 should be perfectly capable with and without dedicated snow tires. AWD helps you get going, but really doesn't do much for stopping and or turning even though Mazda's literature will tell you otherwise and use technical mumbo-jumbo to say their iActive AWD is smart. It is, but only to a certain degree.

I like getting a new car like the next guy, but not prematurely based on the dealer hassling me for my current car. Backstory: in '05/'06, each time I brought my '04 VW GTI into the dealer for service, one or more of the salesmen would ask if I was interesting in trading in my car because there WAS A DEMAND for my particular car. And each time they would tell me this, I would ask them to give me DOUBLE BOOK for my car and their smiles/happy faces quickly turned to puzzled/confused sad faces. They wanted to deal, but they didn't want to pay that much for a car that was literally a dime a dozen. Now, if it was an '04 .:R32, it would have been a different story, but I only have the lowly 1.8t 5spd.

Now, back to you...YOU must be firm and not be a pushover when it comes to DEMANDING top dollar for your car and for the dealer to do everything in their power to get you the most money for the '3. Again, you are doing them a favor by taking one of their CX-5s off the lot. Your '3 might end up as a CPO or it could go straight to auction - they really don't care.

If your '3 is clean and has popular options and is a good color, AND they have to give top dollar, it might end up on their lot as a CPO car so they can get some of their money back. If the car goes to auction, they won't get all of their money back.

Best of luck in your transaction. Don't forget, you have the power to WALK away if things start to stink or go south.

Cheers. (bolt)

If the dealer is that desperate and they REALLY want to move out of your current car into one of their newer cars, then when it comes time to trade your older car that you are COMPLETELY happy with; you tell the dealer that you want DOUBLE BOOK value of your current car...otherwise, deal is OFF.

YOU are doing the dealer a favor buy entertaining their offer. YOU are completely satisfied with your current car and there is absolutely no reason for you to change or "upgrade". If the dealer is willing to play, then they (the dealer) will pay. yes, the pay to play door can swing BOTH ways.

How do you "sorta need AWD"? Your '3 should be perfectly capable with and without dedicated snow tires. AWD helps you get going, but really doesn't do much for stopping and or turning even though Mazda's literature will tell you otherwise and use technical mumbo-jumbo to say their iActive AWD is smart. It is, but only to a certain degree.

I like getting a new car like the next guy, but not prematurely based on the dealer hassling me for my current car. Backstory: in '05/'06, each time I brought my '04 VW GTI into the dealer for service, one or more of the salesmen would ask if I was interesting in trading in my car because there WAS A DEMAND for my particular car. And each time they would tell me this, I would ask them to give me DOUBLE BOOK for my car and their smiles/happy faces quickly turned to puzzled/confused sad faces. They wanted to deal, but they didn't want to pay that much for a car that was literally a dime a dozen. Now, if it was an '04 .:R32, it would have been a different story, but I only have the lowly 1.8t 5spd.

Now, back to you...YOU must be firm and not be a pushover when it comes to DEMANDING top dollar for your car and for the dealer to do everything in their power to get you the most money for the '3. Again, you are doing them a favor by taking one of their CX-5s off the lot. Your '3 might end up as a CPO or it could go straight to auction - they really don't care.

If your '3 is clean and has popular options and is a good color, AND they have to give top dollar, it might end up on their lot as a CPO car so they can get some of their money back. If the car goes to auction, they won't get all of their money back.

Best of luck in your transaction. Don't forget, you have the power to WALK away if things start to stink or go south.

Cheers. (bolt)

Hasn't he already got the new CX5? Good thoughts though on squeezing the best deal that you can.

Maybe next time -- I have no doubt they'll be calling me again in a couple of years to do this all over again. And maybe by then they'll have figured out how to stuff a turbo in there.
Yesterday, I wanted to leave a comment that is something similar to what GoFrogs said, but seeing as you already traded in and got the new car I thought I'll just keep quiet. This statement though troubles me. Unless you have already paid off your car before trading it in for a new car in 2-3 years, the dealer is just simply making money off of you. Your new car loses much of its value to depreciation in the first 1-3 years of ownership. Trading it in when it's not paid off yet, after owning it for 2-3 years is just throwing money away. This is great for the people looking for CPO car, but not great for your wallet. If you intend to trade in your car every 2-3 years, consider just leasing it.

Edit: The exception here is if you got very very very good trade in value for your current car. That would be a rare occurrence though.

Yesterday, I wanted to leave a comment that is something similar to what GoFrogs said, but seeing as you already traded in and got the new car I thought I'll just keep quiet. This statement though troubles me. Unless you have already paid off your car before trading it in for a new car in 2-3 years, the dealer is just simply making money off of you. Your new car loses much of its value to depreciation in the first 1-3 years of ownership. Trading it in when it's not paid off yet, after owning it for 2-3 years is just throwing money away. This is great for the people looking for CPO car, but not great for your wallet. If you intend to trade in your car every 2-3 years, consider just leasing it.

Edit: The exception here is if you got very very very good trade in value for your current car. That would be a rare occurrence though.

Yup, I am going to piggyback on finch204 and say that if you want to trade in every 2-3 years it is actually better for you financially to lease assuming you can stay within the mileage allowance. Because by trading in every 2-3 years you are essentially agreeing to pay/finance the entire initial cost of the vehicle (usually spread out in equal monthly installments over say 5 years) and assuming (and paying for) all the biggest depreciation period (which is why the dealer will be calling and saying how "in demand" your vehicle is 2-3 years in...it is a win-win for them to get your car back after you ate the depreciation, so they can resale it, and get you signing a new financing deal and starting the process all over again). You may still even be "underwater" at time you trade it in which ends up being built into the new financing with the new vehicle. With leasing yes the vehicle still depreciates as soon as it leaves lot and in those 2-3 years but at least you aren't agreeing up front to pay for what becomes the contracted residual value and also not paying taxes, etc, on that amount. You are instead ONLY paying for the depreciation during the period of time you lease the vehicle.

Last edited:

Maybe I didn't mention my 3 was a lease, and I rolled into a new lease.

This started back around June when they offered me a new 3 s GT for the same payment I was currently making. I said gimme a CX-5 GT for the same payment and we'll talk. They couldn't, not even on a leftover '16. They tried twice more as recently as October and they still couldn't. They reached out again last week, and I restated my preference, thinking they'd miss again. But they didn't miss -- they came in within $4 a month of my old payment. Since I'd already walked away 3 times previously, I'm pretty sure this was the best they could do, and it was within my terms. Same money, shorter lease period, nicer car, I couldn't think of a good reason to turn it down other than I might have been able to get it a little cheaper in 6 months when the old lease was up. But by then I'd probably be into a 2018, which will likely cost more and bring me back up around the same payment anyway. I really was planning to wait after their last failed attempt at a sale, but everything about this felt right.

I gotta say, every time I post somewhere that I made a new purchase, it wears kinda thin all the people coming out of the woodwork trying to school me (and others) on how I (they) could have gotten it cheaper. Every time, never fails, somebody can always get a better deal that makes more financial sense. I registered here to learn and share info about this car, not for a lesson in finances. When people buy crap, they pay what they're willing to pay for it, because it's worth it to them at that point in time; otherwise they wouldn't have bought it. Why can't people just let it go at that.

Just one picture so far, and a short drive back to work from picking it up. But I'm already liking it a lot. Got Sirius/XM transferred, plunked in all my old favorites one at a time (I sure wish there was a way to transfer all your preferences from one vehicle to another like when you buy a new IPhone), and now I'm just looking forward to taking a long way home when I get out of this place.

Can't post a picture because Flickr that piece of crap won't give me a usable url. God I hate these image hosting sites.
Let's see if Smugmug does any better....

IMG_0002-M.jpg

Congrats! Red is the best color in the new CX-5 IMO...

Maybe I didn't mention my 3 was a lease, and I rolled into a new lease.

This started back around June when they offered me a new 3 s GT for the same payment I was currently making. I said gimme a CX-5 GT for the same payment and we'll talk. They couldn't, not even on a leftover '16. They tried twice more as recently as October and they still couldn't. They reached out again last week, and I restated my preference, thinking they'd miss again. But they didn't miss -- they came in within $4 a month of my old payment. Since I'd already walked away 3 times previously, I'm pretty sure this was the best they could do, and it was within my terms. Same money, shorter lease period, nicer car, I couldn't think of a good reason to turn it down other than I might have been able to get it a little cheaper in 6 months when the old lease was up. But by then I'd probably be into a 2018, which will likely cost more and bring me back up around the same payment anyway. I really was planning to wait after their last failed attempt at a sale, but everything about this felt right.

I gotta say, every time I post somewhere that I made a new purchase, it wears kinda thin all the people coming out of the woodwork trying to school me (and others) on how I (they) could have gotten it cheaper. Every time, never fails, somebody can always get a better deal that makes more financial sense. I registered here to learn and share info about this car, not for a lesson in finances. When people buy crap, they pay what they're willing to pay for it, because it's worth it to them at that point in time; otherwise they wouldn't have bought it. Why can't people just let it go at that.

No I wasn't aware you were leasing. Since you are, what I've said doesn't apply to you, though it should still be good info to new buyers.

I understand that this is a car forum first and foremost, but what kind of community would we be if we didn't try to help out other people if we see them making a "costly" mistake. I'm all for people buying new Mazdas, but not if it is sinking them into more debt.

Back