Engine oil has strong smell of gasoline.

:
21CX5 Signature
Hey guys, I really need your help with diagnosing an issue.

I pulled out engine oil dipstick on my 2017 CX-GT to check engine oil level. Engine oil had strong smell of gasoline. It only has 4700 miles on it, the car is new, had a first oil change about a month ago at the dealer. The car runs fine and there are no error codes from the computer whatsoever so I am a little baffled at all this. Can someone let me know if it is normal for Mazda?

Very normal, if you don't drive it 30 minutes+ on the highway every time you start it. Welcome to direct injection wonderland... Read up on these forums, lots of info.

Also low rpm driving and a heavier oil. Catch can helps and using a heavier weight (5w30) oil helps

I myself provided the analysis here, and have few more. All they prove in this case that there's indeed fuel in oil. There are many other valuable points, but not that soon in the engine life. At that mileage any and all analysis will prove that it still breaks in...
By the way, Blackstone is not the only UOA provider, nor is 100% accurate or least expensive. There are more options, particularly for Canadian owners.

I myself provided the analysis here, and have few more. All they prove in this case that there's indeed fuel in oil. There are many other valuable points, but not that soon in the engine life. At that mileage any and all analysis will prove that it still breaks in...
By the way, Blackstone is not the only UOA provider, nor is 100% accurate or least expensive. There are more options, particularly for Canadian owners.

I'm not sure if I understated you correctly so please correct me if I am wrong, you saying that in DIE fuel in oil is normal and I should not worry about it?

Last edited:
I have seen many UOAs here on Mazda DI engines showing some fuel dilution but, nothing to be concerned about when viewing the wear values.

I'm not sure if I understated you correctly so please correct me if I am wrong, you saying that in DIE fuel in oil is normal and I should not worry about it?
Correct, nothing to worry about, this is the nature of the beast. Make sure you take a car for a nice long drive every weekend or so.

Yes but for peace of mind you can send a sample of your engine oil for analysis, it will set you back about $30 bucks though...

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Correct, nothing to worry about, this is the nature of the beast. Make sure you take a car for a nice long drive every weekend or so.

Thank you, I relay appreciate your help.

Normal, especially in a new engine, cold weather, short trips. As mentioned, many threads on this. My gas smell and minor oil consumption went away after the first oil change at 6k miles. But every engine is a bit different.

Oil dilution issue happens more on older Mazda SkyActiv-D diesels. But it does happen on some SkyActiv-G gasoline engines as well under colder environment. My CX-5 did use a half quart of oil during the first 5,000 miles without too much fuel smell from oil. And our CX-5 is strictly used for city driving only, very seldom been driven on the highway. Basically if your oil level is not rising, I wouldnt worry too much about it. See this 8 pages of discussion:

2.5L Oil level fluctuation

This post said the best:
Here's my 2 bits since I'm the one who started this thread.
This issue is only present if you live in a cold climate. Starting and idling the vehicle, longer warm up times, all add to the problem.
I've done a few oil samples and the winter months are terrible (as high as 11% fuel contamination). During the spring/summer the oil does not move up or down and the sample has been tested fine.
During the winter, my oil level definitely rises, I have tried blocking part of the rad off. Tried running premium fuel. So far anything I try does not help the problem.

The only fix I found is to NOT check the oil.

Also low rpm driving and a heavier oil. Catch can helps and using a heavier weight (5w30) oil helps

I agree. city driving will increase the amount of gasoline in your oil vs highway driving.

an exessive amount of fuel in your oil hints at a leaking/defective fuel injector. some fuel dilution is normal, but not this much.

Hello

I agree. city driving will increase the amount of gasoline in your oil vs highway driving.

an exessive amount of fuel in your oil hints at a leaking/defective fuel injector. some fuel dilution is normal, but not this much.

I have Mazda CX 9 2016 2.5 Turbo engine 6k miles on it . And i have same problem with petrol in Oil. We drive the car most in city. For 2k mile range the oil is with 1/2 up.
Some advice. Sorry for bad english , im from Bulgaria.

Thank You,

Back