Subwoofer placement question.

Holiday

:
Protege 5
My car was already wired up for a sub (sub was taken out as well as amp pre purchase) so I've been thinking about putting one in. Issue is I want my trunk space and my spare tire. Only option I think that would work is what another user here posted in an old for sale item, an enclosure in the rear trunk left hand side empty space:
IMG_20140413_185434_996.jpg

Not sure where I'd put the amp, also I have no idea how to build an enclosure. Want to avoid rattling the car. I don't need crazy bass, just enough to give me a decent bottom end. Not sure where else I can put a sub(s). Any ideas?

Those enclosures are made of fiberglass. Not really expensive but it requires a lot of patience and time. You need to line the area with plastic or tin foil, apply resin, then mat, then more resin, then cut out an MDF ring where you want to place the sub, glue the ring in place with dowels, stretch cloth around the ring to the backing that you glassed earlier to create the enclosure, apply resin, then mat, rinse and repeat. And when that's all done, sand, trim, and finally paint or carpet. If you search around there are a lot of DIY articles on the process.

There are a lot of small footprint amps that you can stick practically anywhere, under the front seats, behind the cargo panels, etc.

Thanks. Guess I'll look up how to do fiberglass molding. I wonder if I can somehow fit an amp in the same area. Will check out other spots I can place speakers.

Yeah I was thinking perhaps I just want to use something like the KICKER 11HS8.

Last edited:
The Basslink is an option too though it rolls off at 50hz and I'd prefer something a lil lower like 35hz. I'm now wondering about getting one of those slim powered subs and either placing it under driver's seat or rear passenger seat or if I can wedge it in that concave space in the rear trunk area, as well as if it would sound much different in any these locals.

If you wanna bump the neighborhood, that custom box ain't gonna do it, from my experience. I had a box that looked a lot like the OP but it rattled and never sounded quite right. I put in a box with a couple 10" subs for awhile, just to piss off the neighbors. It took up too much room though and the Basslink sounded great.

SQ is something to think about.

Currently looking at the Kicker 11HS8 under a seat or maybe a bazooka sub that I can move out of the way if I need the rear cargo space. Don't need crazy bass, just some nice low end, I dislike rattling bass.

If you do the under seat one, please let us know how you like it. Ive been thinking of getting one of those, but wonder if itd be uncomfortable

Yeah, gonna pick one up in the Spring. Not sure where I'll place it. Don't know if I want it under my driver seat though, as much as having my cajones vibrating while listening to Drum & Bass might be tempting. Wondering about perhaps under rear seat middle or merely strapping it to that side concave space in the rear cargo area.

I just have an oooold school MTX amp under the driver's seat and a boston acoustics 10" sub in a shallow truck box screwed to the back of the drivers rear seat in the cargo area, firing straight backwards. No rattles, sounds great, and doesn't take up any real usable space since the box is only about 5 inches deep. seats still fold down like normal and if i need to remove it to move something big remove the 1 screw and pull it out.

I know once I get the speaker I'm gonna play around for best placement. Good thing about subs is that the frequencies are omni directional. Basically something that sounds good and doesn't interfere with cargo.

Well an update of sorts. Still looking at options. One is the PIONEER TSSWX2502 and an amp in the cargo area which wouldn't take up too much room. Also looking at the Cerwin Vega VPAS10.

Back