Fixing the steering column

xDanielSenpai

:
Mazda, Protege5
So all I need to know is how to fix this issue, just recently bought the car and for some odd reason the steering column has dislodged from what I’m guessing is the rack and pinion. So if I can get help on how to place it back I would really appreciate it.
8cfe2f946db5e070aad167ad9cb4ccff.jpg

I think it's broken.
It looks longer in the diagram and it doesn't look like it's supposed to come apart where yours did.

I'm pretty sure the part inside the rubber boot is a two inch piece that broke off the end of your steering column.

Screenshot_20171224-054116.png

I think it's broken.
It looks longer in the diagram and it doesn't look like it's supposed to come apart where yours did.

I'm pretty sure the part inside the rubber boot is a two inch piece that broke off the end of your steering column.

Screenshot_20171224-054116.png
That's what I thought at first but it actually looks like it's slide right in. Doesn't look broken to me.

Yea... It doesn't look broken.
It may be an intentional weak spot or shear point designed to break in an accident ??

If you pull that rubber boot in the floor up you should be able to unbolt and slide the remainder of the shaft and U-joint off of the steering rack and see what the deal is.

If it moved around enough to slide off, you have bigger problems, either the column mounts are broken and moving around or the rack mounts are completely destroyed.

I was curious so I went out and looked at my steering column.

Screenshot_2017-12-25-12-21-38.png

Those parts are splined and did pull apart, so you've got huge slack somewhere.

What He Said ↓↓↓

If it moved around enough to slide off, you have bigger problems, either the column mounts are broken and moving around or the rack mounts are completely destroyed.

If you pull that rubber boot in the floor up you should be able to unbolt and slide the remainder of the shaft and U-joint off of the steering rack and see what the deal is.

Yea... It doesn't look broken.
It may be an intentional weak spot or shear point designed to break in an accident ??
Thank you for all your replies, turns out the k member was lowered in order to replace the engine mount. While that happened column slid out. I'll do what MrGiggles said and try to unbolt and slide back in :) Thanks!! [emoji108]

It's probably not going to slide in easily.
Be careful if you need to pound on it or you could collapse the column.

Screenshot_20171225-144547.png

You may want to remove the column and pivot the u-joint to 90 to pound it in so the force doesn't travel up the column. (just guessing ...)

It's probably not going to slide in easily.
Be careful if you need to pound on it or you could collapse the column.

Screenshot_20171225-144547.png

You may want to remove the column and pivot the u-joint to 90 to pound it in so the force doesn't travel up the column. (just guessing ...)
I'll take into consideration and be careful doing so, thanks :)

Back