Topping up coolant question.

Holiday

:
Protege 5
My coolant level is getting low and so I thought I'd top it up. Purchased some Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant which also says concentrate on it, so not mixed with water. The reservoir says coolant only so I assume that means just add the coolant, not mixed with water, and the system will measure it out as needed. However as there is coolant that is mixed 50/50 I am wondering whether or not what I put in the coolant reservoir is suppose to be the concentrate that I have or if I should mix it 50/50 with water first then add it.

Your coolant is supposed to be premixed...
You can premix your antifreeze as much as 70/30 antifreeze but straight water can freeze and so can straight antifreeze ...
(weird eh... You have to blend them to go to -40)

Add some distilled water to your overflow...
30% should do it .

Screenshot_20171223-212142.png

Yeah, when I saw "coolant only" on the reservoir it made me think that meant no mixing, just straight coolant.

I think the reason it says Coolant Only" on the cap is because there was once this guy who was topping up his windscreen washer fluid bottle, but was putting it into the coolant reservoir instead. At least he didn't top it up with oil! (lol2)

Reminds me of the 'Part no:710' story.

Your blinker fluid too !!!

Everyone seems to forget to check their blinker fluid !!

Screenshot_20171224-182028.png

Your blinker fluid too !!!

Everyone seems to forget to check their blinker fluid !!

That's the cheap and nasty stuff. Your blinkers/headlights won't last as long with that stuff.

I always use this from Valvoline. Best stuff on the market.

ymZg7JM.jpg

On a related tangent...

I had a 1985 Mazda 626 with headlight sprayers.

The nozzles were lower than the height of the windshield washer reservoir and they'd always screw up and siphon all your fluid to the ground (washer, blinker or otherwise) so you had no damn fluid to spray on your windshield when a truck passed you and blinded you.
The hose feeding the nozzles were plugged before I even bought the car.

Back