215/50 on stock rim (comfy ride)

:
2010 Mazda5 Touring
Running bigger tires on stocks for winter. The move from 205/50 to 215/50 on the stock wheels is incredible! So smooth. Like a Buick. If you're running stock wheels, do this simple upgrade. The handling won't be as tight but it will be so much more comfrtable to you. I got some cheap Velozza's M&S for $57 each. They seem pretty good so far, but we haven't had any snow yet. The RX-8 wheels are off and I'll probably send them to get powdercoated again before i put them up for sale. New shoes for the spring. I'm keeping my 5 a few more years so I want a different look. Ive had it 5+ years and over 100,000 miles. No major issues and its holding up pretty well so It'll still have a home in my driveway!

At my next tire change I'm going to move to 205/60/16 from 205/55/16, a similar idea. Wider is better in the dry but I have enough trouble gaining traction in the snow that I don't want to go wider than 205. My next winter tires, if I still have the 5, will actually be 195/60/16.

I switched from the stock 17's right after I got my M5 back in 2013 cause I hated the ride so much. Went to 205/60/16 right away and haven't looked back. Right quality easily doubled.

Did this with mine a while ago- 215/50-17 corrects the factory speedometer calibration to be pretty much dead on with GPS speed too.

Back