Rear caliper

hpmaxim

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Looks like my left rear caliper has sprung a leak. I haven't gotten a good look at it, but I'm losing brake fluid and there appeared to be some fluid dripping from the brake cable spring, so I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Ordinarily, I'd just replace it and not worry. But reading reviews of rebuilt brake calipers gives me a lot of room to worry. I see many complaints that leaks from the parking brake cable area are common and often rebuilds don't seem to last for more than a few months without springing a leak.

Does anyone know if one brand is better than others? In particular, Advance Auto's Wearever brand (which I think is A-1 Cardone) seems to have awful reviews. Raysbestos reviews I've seen are somewhat better, but not a lot. RockAuto says that AC Delco is a popular choice.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

148 views and no responses? No one has replaced a rear caliper and has a favorite or least favorite brand?

I've replaced both of my rear calipers and I do not have a "favorite." However, on the barake pad adjuster on both calipers backs itself out, leaving me with no parking brake. I probably got rebuilt calipers from O'Reilly.

All the bad reports I remember about the rear calipers are about how the adjusters don't work.
One guy had to get three calipers bought up from the back of the store before he got on that worked. (he brought a wrench and Allen key with him)

@marshmallow... You may not be using your hand brake enough to keep up with your pad wear.

Try holding your foot on the brake and pump the handbrake about 50 times to see if they self adjust. It's supposed to click 7 to 9 times.

As far as what brand is best, I think it's a bit of a crap shoot.
Some companies may be only replacing the piston, seal and boot and not inspecting the adjuster mechanisms or seals where the cable attaches ??

Our rear caliper is a bit of an oddball and I don't think it's used on any other car.

Screenshot_2017-09-23-21-15-56.png

My rear passenger side was said to leak and I have noticed some fluid loss in the master cylinder but I have yet to really have a good look at it. Taking it to get checked for an oil leak as I can't keep buying qts every time I have to drive a decent length. I got a new oil pan just in case but haven't actually installed it yet. It seems to seep out of the sides. Not enough gasket or...?

pcb, I wish that was the case. I can adjust the brake and pull the parking brake a few times and it will just back itself out completely. If I wanted to, I could adjust the pads daily. Based on your picture, could I back the adjustment screw out completely and put some loctite on the threads to hold it in place? Or is there a c-clip preventing removal?

That's a picture I got off this forum years ago and I've never actually had one apart. (although I'm kinda curious now and might take one off my parts car and dissect it.)

I remember some guys talking about how the adjusters just fall out and they lost one so they had to use the one for both sides.
From what I remember, their parking brakes worked,.. and they had no adjuster at all ???

Those ratcheting gizmos inside the calipers look like they have many ways to fail yours is the first I've heard of to fail that way.
Apparently you can put a magnet in to pull the adjuster screw out. I'm pretty sure it's just a little splined rod that mates with the end of that screw to turn it's head.
Loctite might work but I'm just guessing.

.... Based on your picture, could I back the adjustment screw out completely and put some loctite on the threads to hold it in place? Or is there a c-clip preventing removal?

No C-clip,... You just need a magnet.

The gear was wet with brake fluid so I don't think loctite would work.
If it were me, I'd try jamming something like a little piece of wood or plastic under the bolt to try to hold it still.

Just figured I'd follow up... I ended up getting the Wearever calipers from Advance Autoparts which are refurbed by Cardone. I spoke with someone at tech support (for shops) at Advance Auto. He said that they had changed suppliers 2 years ago, so the negative reviews were based on the old supplier. He said there was no record of complaints/warranty claims from shops on the new part. So I paid my money and took my chances. I have yet to try to install it, given that it is freaking cold out, and I don't think I'd have the manual dexterity to do anything. Unfortunately, the leak seems to be getting worse. I don't know if the caliper is getting worse or if its the temperature. Hopefully the temperature will start coming up on Sunday.

I have had a long history of problems with reman calipers, but mostly with them seizing. I have had to purchase so many, and many right after the labor warranty expired.

Over past few years, I have tried not to go to mechanics anymore, and been doing everything myself.

At the end of the summer, I purchased ACDelco loaded rear calipers, and I think they are okay. I bought them from Rock Auto, and they were pretty cheap. I had to adjust the caliper parking brake twice, but it has hold since then.

I'm actually in the same boat, in need of a rear left brake caliper. I suppose you just buy the one portion of the caliper that's prone to fail. For me it's a missing hex adjuster for the piston and one of the mounting screws has lost most of its threading. So the ACDelco is the one I should get? It's the same as OEM, same adjustment for the piston?

I bought mine and finally installed them like 3-4 days ago and I haven't tested them out yet. I was sick when I started and then I also decided to slap on some SS brake lines I nabbed for free from the forum so that took some time. Flu kept me in bed for two days and then the rain started yesterday so, my poor car is still outside. I purchased the beck and arnley. Could've gone with raybestos, centric, or acdelco but opted for these.

Hey guys I know this thread is ancient, but I have a leaking rear caliper (fluid on the parking brake spring). It's from O'reilly, has about 9 thousand miles on it. Car is an 03 Protege5 with manual transmission. Before the oreilly, I had installed an autozone one and it leaked within a week. I'm considering forking out the cash for the new OE mazda one, but it's $400 for one side. Would appreciate any recent opinions on what rebuild brands have held up (or not held up) over time.

I have only replaced front calipers.
I have used
Wearever - Advance auto
Raybestos - Rock Auto

I have not had issues with either brand.

Hey guys I know this thread is ancient, but I have a leaking rear caliper (fluid on the parking brake spring). It's from O'reilly, has about 9 thousand miles on it. Car is an 03 Protege5 with manual transmission. Before the oreilly, I had installed an autozone one and it leaked within a week. I'm considering forking out the cash for the new OE mazda one, but it's $400 for one side. Would appreciate any recent opinions on what rebuild brands have held up (or not held up) over time.
$400 a side is absurd. I replaced both my rears about a year ago to fix the parking brake, and I did consider that, but not for long.

I ended up getting a good condition non-seized junkyard caliper for $20 for one side, because It had obviously been installed properly and was not leaking or seized. I bought the other one reconditioned on eBay for like $50 (not sure what brand). They both worked out fine and did not leak. I went eBay vs RockAuto for the $50 one because I have more experience dealing with returns on eBay and they usually make it pretty easy if you have trouble with the seller taking the return.

Junkyard parts are often hit or miss, but in this case my searching for a good condition one at the junkyard payed off and I got a good deal because I pulled it myself. Just a bit of food for thought.

If you end up at a wrecker, check for a sloppy connection where the P-brake attaches to the caliper.

That's the part that wasn't being reconditioned at the rebuild shops and putting new seals on this part isn't going to work.
That bore needs to be rebored and an oversized pin installed to properly rebuild it.

This is that point on my caliper from my parts car.
There's no way new seals are going to seal up a pin that is that sloppy in the bore.

Screenshot_20220120-182006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the rear caliper in this thread...

Back