Issues/Annoyances on 2017 CX-9

My $.02:

I have had heated washer nozzles on all four of my last four vehicles. I never noticed it working and am not sure it made any practical difference at all. I don't miss it.

Janelf regrets the lack of a seat that automatically moves out of the way when you switch off the ignition. I had that on one car but since I normally have the seat almost fully back, it wasn't anything I missed when I didn't have it. However, I am astounded that the seat memory in the CX9 doesn't include the outside mirrors. After my wife has driven the car I have to rest the seat (button 1), adjust the steering wheel both vertically and horizontally (manually), adjust the interior mirror (manually), and adjust the outside mirrors. In my last car all I had to adjust manually was the interior mirror. Bah.

I would be happier if the driver's seat were half an inch wider. I'm not fat, just large.

There aren't enough interior lights, and the ones that there are aren't powerful enough.

The HVAC controls are unintuitive and poorly placed. The AC shouldn't turn on automatically when you select defrost (the designers obviously didn't spend much time in Canada in winter); if I want it on, I can turn it on. And why can't I select just defrost for air direction? I can if I push the max defrost button, but then all hell lets loose which is far more than I want.

The third row seats should either be an option or easily removed. I doubt mine will ever be opened up again until the day I sell the car.

The backup camera gets dirty.

A nit, but if the likes of Ford and Kia can do it, why can't Mazda include an easy way of opening the rear hatch when your arms are full of shopping?

OK, not perfect but despite these flaws I really like the car. It compares very favourably with the likes of the Mercedes GLC300 at a significantly lower price.

Yes, my last few cars have all been BMWs and Mercedes. And yes, it is to Mazda's credit that they can compete with those brands at a lower price point. However, power mirrors and power steering wheel adjustments are hardly big-dollar investments. And if the seat is already powered, what would it cost to program it to move backwards when you open a door? (Not that, as I said, I want that feature.)

No, all cars do NOT automatically switch on the AC with defrost. None of my last three BMWs did, nor did my Mercedes. I had a beater PT Cruiser that had that feature and it annoyed me just as much as it does in the CX9. If I need to dehumidify the interior, I don't regard touching a little button labelled "A/C" to be particularly challenging. But I would prefer it were my decision, not Mazda's!

The interior lights aren't bright enough? Mine has LEDs everywhere and lights up like the sun when I hit the button. I mean, seriously, is there something missing in your car?

I'm not sure how much colder you are in Canada, but it was 6 below (F) in Massachusetts the other morning and the A/C powered defroster cleared everything up quick quick.

One annoyance I've discovered - and I wholly admit it's a truly nitpicky thing - is that the interior light on the hatch is not LED like, I believe, every other interior light is. Seriously, Mazda?

One annoyance I've discovered - and I wholly admit it's a truly nitpicky thing - is that the interior light on the hatch is not LED like, I believe, every other interior light is. Seriously, Mazda?

No light in my cargo area, hatch or otherwise. I remember others having to do a mod because of the nonexistent cargo light.

What are you driving?

No light in my cargo area, hatch or otherwise. I remember others having to do a mod because of the nonexistent cargo light.

What are you driving?

A 2017 Grand Touring. My light is on the hatch door, driver's side, close to the bottom of the hatch if it were closed.

Last edited:
First Mazda (previous had a 04 Santa Fe). I have a 2017 Signature and a few of my annoyances since getting it in Aug 17 are:

-Can't open the hatch while in park unless I unlock the doors first
-Doors don't auto unlock when in park
-Proximity sensor to unlock doors (since you auto lock when you walk away) when you approach would be nice vs. having to press the key fob or the little black rubber button each time
-The glitches of Mazda Connect (still need to update firmware but have had the random crashes)
-Little design things like the low powered USB ports in the armrest and the power port way in the passenger foot well
-The power hatch motors are noisier than some competitors
-Perhaps sky view sunroof? Although I know that would hinder rear headroom
-Heated steering wheel on the 18 is a nice touch and something I wish I had

Check to the piano black plastic trim!

First Mazda (previous had a 04 Santa Fe). I have a 2017 Signature and a few of my annoyances since getting it in Aug 17 are:

<snip>

You can change the lock settings via the infotainment system. I have it set so my CX-9 automatically unlocks when I put it into park (vs. when I turn off the ignition, which is the default setting). I believe it's in Settings -> Vehicle -> Locks (see P. 9-13 of the Owner's Manual).</snip>

You can change the lock settings via the infotainment system. I have it set so my CX-9 automatically unlocks when I put it into park (vs. when I turn off the ignition, which is the default setting). I believe it's in Settings -> Vehicle -> Locks (see P. 9-13 of the Owner's Manual).</snip>

Cool! Thanks for the tip (and sorry for the false annoyance)!

My complaint is with wind noise on the driver's side window and the lack of standard remote start option (with feedback) that doesn't shut off when you open the door. Other than that, the car's been solid in the intense Mid-west winter weather we've had this year.

I've had a lot more remorse than I thought I'd have regarding the (lack of) heated steering, front parking sensors and Stop-n-go cruise control on my 2017. Enough that I would seriously consider swapping cars if the opportunity arose.

My complaint is with wind noise on the driver's side window and the lack of standard remote start option (with feedback) that doesn't shut off when you open the door. Other than that, the car's been solid in the intense Mid-west winter weather we've had this year.

I've had a lot more remorse than I thought I'd have regarding the (lack of) heated steering, front parking sensors and Stop-n-go cruise control on my 2017. Enough that I would seriously consider swapping cars if the opportunity arose.

Not sure if it was addressed in the '18, but mine has no wind noise.

That's what always hurts most about buying a new car. The fact that in 1-2 years, there's always a better car or the same model improved with more features/updated styling.

I was happy to end up in the situation where the timing of me wanting to buy aligned with the '18's release. However, I also know that the '19 could very well get ventilated seats that I wanted as the '19 Mazda6 gets them (1st Mazda to get them). And who knows whatever else. Possibly even a facelift although I think they'll go to 2020 for that since the design is still so fresh looking.

That's what always hurts most about buying a new car. The fact that in 1-2 years, there's always a better car or the same model improved with more features/updated styling.

Try getting a car that doesn't do model years. My wife's car has rolling changes throughout the year. Her's is a late 2016 Telsa Model S, so she got the newer front end, 6 cup holders, center console, and 2nd generation Auto-pilot. Before that you only got 2 cupholders, no center console and either no autopilot or the 1st gen. She just missed out on the option of an all glass roof and now there is no solid roof option, improved seats and a couple of other items. At some point you have to stop paying attention or it will drive you nuts.

Not sure if it was addressed in the '18, but mine has no wind noise.

I was happy to end up in the situation where the timing of me wanting to buy aligned with the '18's release. However, I also know that the '19 could very well get ventilated seats that I wanted as the '19 Mazda6 gets them (1st Mazda to get them). And who knows whatever else. Possibly even a facelift although I think they'll go to 2020 for that since the design is still so fresh looking.

2019s or 2020s CX9 might also get the digital cluster just like what's coming in the 6...

Try getting a car that doesn't do model years. My wife's car has rolling changes throughout the year. Her's is a late 2016 Telsa Model S, so she got the newer front end, 6 cup holders, center console, and 2nd generation Auto-pilot. Before that you only got 2 cupholders, no center console and either no autopilot or the 1st gen. She just missed out on the option of an all glass roof and now there is no solid roof option, improved seats and a couple of other items. At some point you have to stop paying attention or it will drive you nuts.

So, other than your Tesla example (which, by the way, you referred to with a model year), name a car that "doesn't do model years".

So, other than your Tesla example (which, by the way, you referred to with a model year), name a car that "doesn't do model years".

I never claimed there were other cars that did it that way but I would imagine there are. It makes sense for smaller automakers to make improvements throughout the year vs waiting for a calendar year. I was responding to the quote about how frequent model year changes can be frustrating to buyers who worry about such things. Trust me there are plenty of them on Tesla forums.
I was referring to the delivery date not a model year. Different than mid 2016 which is different than early 2016.

Indeed. At some point you just have to pull the trigger and drive what you buy. I thought we timed our purchase of the newly designed CX-9 by waiting until 2017. We thought that Mazda would include suggestions or things it new were missing from the 2016, as well as flush out some bugs - which it did, but not until 2018. 4 Months later we returned the 17 Sig and upgraded to the 18 Sig. Not looking back and we're very happy with the decision thus far.

The changes made to the 18 were things we really wanted for the most part except stuff like Heated Steering Wheels. However, once winter hit and we tried the heated wheel for the very first time, we actually found that we really like it.

All is good in the land of 9 at my home.

I never claimed there were other cars that did it that way but I would imagine there are. It makes sense for smaller automakers to make improvements throughout the year vs waiting for a calendar year. I was responding to the quote about how frequent model year changes can be frustrating to buyers who worry about such things. Trust me there are plenty of them on Tesla forums.
I was referring to the delivery date not a model year. Different than mid 2016 which is different than early 2016.

I have never heard of any automaker that doesn't have model years. Making continual changes throughout the year isn't done because it would cost way more to do that. That's why cars have a 4, 5, 6+ year life cycle; changes cost money. The 1st gen CX-9 debuted in '06 as an '07 MY, and continued until '16.

Frequent Tesla changes mid year are over the air software updates, right? That's a much less significant cost structure.

-Proximity sensor to unlock doors (since you auto lock when you walk away) when you approach would be nice vs. having to press the key fob or the little black rubber button each time
-The glitches of Mazda Connect (still need to update firmware but have had the random crashes)
-Little design things like the low powered USB ports in the armrest and the power port way in the passenger foot well
-The power hatch motors are noisier than some competitors
-Perhaps sky view sunroof? Although I know that would hinder rear headroom
-Heated steering wheel on the 18 is a nice touch and something I wish I had

Check to the piano black plastic trim!

I bash the dealerships that I've dealt with in the past who are anti-customer and foolish. They deserved it. However, I've always spoken my mind about Mazda Corporate, where thus far I have had nothing but high praise after dealing with them twice already. And, I have routinely spoken positively about both of my CX-9 Signatures. But, you do raise some interesting points:

- The lift gate issue should be called Liftgate. Much like Watergate or Nannygate or any other blundergate. I agree with you here. The logic on the lift gate should be changed. I instinctively hit the button while puling in to park at home and boom nothing - it just beeps at me. Now, understanding that Mazda is also a safety conscious nearly boutique automobile manufacturer as far as output in the US is concerned, they probably waxed towards making certain the lift gate could not be opened while the vehicle was either being driven, in gear or in a state close to being driven as Mazda defines it.

- The doors will auto unlock when you want them too. You'll have to walk through the menu options under vehicle settings through the CMU. Not hard to do and the manual helps in this regard as well. It has a pretty broad list of Lock/Unlock options available.

- Proximity sensor to unlock on approach more than likely fits into Mazda's security conscious framework again. I'm speaking about these things from the standpoint of having been a design engineer. There are certain philosophical approaches to designing things were potential safety risks are involved. So, you approach your vehicle and the door unlocks - somebody intercepts your approach and now has access to your vehicle. It is not perfect, but at least you physically have to make contact with the vehicle, placing you in position first and making the intercept more difficult for the intruder. I'm not with Mazda. I don't know for certain this is their philosophy. I'm just given one example of how some of these decisions might be made at design time. However, Mazda does provide an option that unlocks all doors when the driver's side door is unlocked. So, one could argue that to be an equally trimmed safety concern as the intruder could intercept from the opposite side! Anyway, you get my point.

- The Head Unit issue is something that I think most manufacturers have or will have with brand new designs. One of the worst is Cadillac's CUE. That CMU has been reported as not just logically flawed but extremely slow by many Caddy owners and some have even reported that it was so bad, that it negatively impacted their desire to own a Cadillac. That's pretty bad. Expect more CMU issues as a matter of fact. Automobile Companies are not Enterprise Technology Companies. They don't have the same resources (intellectual) or the same hard core focus as a dedicated Software Company or Tech Company. So, they are outsourcing and buying wholesale components while hoping for good integration in the final analysis and that's just a recipe for problems and bug fixes along the way. Even dedicated software companies get it wrong and have to issue new releases to fix bugs. So, we can expect the same from non-tech companies integrating software and hardware into their product as well.

Having said that, I've seen definite improvements going from the 2017 Sig to the 2018 Sig. I've had zero issues thus far - fingers cross, though.

- I think the USB ports could be upgraded. I sort of like the cigarette style output port where it is. However, I would have liked to have seen an electrical outlet (standard 110/120) somewhere in the rear behind the third-row - maybe with some kind of built-in inverter design. Would have been nice - especially when I'm at the range and need to power some light equipment for a few minutes. They can make some improvements in the On-Board Power Outlets category of features for sure. After all, its an SUV, right.

- A Full Pano Roof sounds nice and it even looks awesome. However, keep in mind that this will add a very significant weight penalty to an already heavy vehicle for its class. That will impact fuel econ and road handling performance as it will surely lift the CG envelope. That change in CG will need to be compensated for in several different areas of the design and that will impact overall cost - not because of the Pano necessary (though that will increase cost) - but because of all the work that will need to be done in tuning the vehicle around new CG limits. These are the joys (or the woes) of design engineering. Make a significant change in "A" and now you must change B, C, D, et-al in return for a compensating balance in the overall design. At least, this is what any good engineer would do.

- Yes. We really like the heated steering wheel now that we've started actually using it! It's a small thing, but it does add a layer of luxurious texture to the CX-9 experience - not to mention warming your hands up on a cold start.

Oh, I 100% agree. That Black Piano Plastic idea... Uh, no Mazda. Just say no next time around. Replace that with several Carbon Fiber color options and suddenly the interior becomes unmistakably head and shoulders above the rest in category (though its pretty darn head and shoulders above right now!). Carbon Fiber replacing all Piano Black Plastic would just cap off an already outstanding interior design.

Last edited:
Tesla does it because all of their cars are made to order. They don't build an inventory. There are major changes throughout the year. Front ends, Auto Pilot hardware, battery sizes, roofs, size of the front trunk, and option packages. We happened to order the day AP2 was announced. A major change in hardware from two cameras to eight and also when they stopped using Mobile Eye and started doing it in-house for the AP software. This has actually been a step down in functionality. AP2 is just now surpassing AP1 after a little over a year of updates. The over the air software updates are very interesting. We just got auto sensing windshield wipers (AP1 already had it) but there was a problem in that it activated when the door was opened and would spash the drives as he entered. People complained and the next update is supposed to delay the first swipe until after the door is closed. When we first got the car the fobs were not linked to the seat preset memories. I was shocked because this was a feature on many mid level cars. A few weeks later it was added. My wife's car is a 75D (smallest battery currently) and jut recently got free update to drop 0-60 times from 5.2 to 4.2 seconds. Big difference.

As you can imagine this leads to a lot of complaints on the forums. Whenever a substantial hard change is made (they are never announced before hand and the "salesmen" are just as clueless as everybody else) there are some that always complain that their resale value just took a hit. Most realize that you got the car you paid for and to just be happy with what you have. If it's that big of a deal, sell and buy a newer one and take the financial hit.

Back