Front & Rear Chrome Bumper Installation | DIY Project #1 w/ Pics

G

Guest2017

Took it to the local DIY shop for first of several DIY projects. This one purely cosmetic. Front and Rear bumper trim accessory package installation. Since I had it on a lift, I decided to do an intermittent tire rotation as well. I always clean the internals of the wheels when I rotate, inspect brakes, rotors, pads, lines, CV boots and basically all front/rear suspension components. I like to maximize my lift time as much as possible.

Before (Front & Rear):
9b5dd0567d64e1feecba7dc5ddf3cbb2.jpg

d5fe8c32525ca8db1adb26d67667091d.jpg

Kit Prep:
1010198c17336e263d27dcbf4b7ac0db.jpg

c27998b05efdd1c09ef040506a759dd1.jpg

After On Lift (Front & Rear):
3965b23091f4a59f8eded8baf74add9b.jpg

128974745940f5b8229d2f978a366c45.jpg

8a3a7143fd39caac2ecb72a69789659e.jpg

53176454e3e6afe1b906308fb74ad414.jpg

After Off Lift (Front & Rear):
8dd1ab7f180298649a0895381db171d5.jpg

97507fb40194513d9a7a697e37d219e1.jpg

b964d78674f86cdeb0aaeb9eee6a33aa.jpg

Wheel Cleaning Before Rotation (just because):
2469f7e1a8c05d2936e0ec9b6745ecd8.jpg

54d7d4ab92d43b6c1ece39e05d5385ec.jpg

- Install time 35 minutes
- Basic tools required (Drill and Screwdriver)
- Minimal skills require (common sense)
- Dealer install not necessary
- Having access to a lift makes life easier, but not necessary for this DIY

2 Warnings: (1) The written instructions call for installing center screws prior to removal of red tape from adhesive. This is incorrect as doing so will guarantee that you will not be able to remove red backing tape from inside of newly positioned trim piece, as the tape will be blocked by the screws.

My suggestion is to completely remove red backing tape first from center section of trim piece, then carefully center and position front edge of new trim piece to come in contact with existing bumper trim piece. Slowly close the gap between bumper and the adhesive tape on the inside of the new trim piece until they barely make contact with each other. Check alignment one final time (it will be perfectly aligned at this point if you did the dry fit step correctly earlier according to the written instructions) and then firmly press center front edge of new trim piece into bumper - working your pressing action outward to the left and right simultaneously until you reach the left and right ends of the new trim piece. By this time, the entire trim piece should be set into position on the bumper in the correct position. You can then install both center screws at that point along with the remainder of the installation attachments. Read the written instructions first and then read this again - it will make more sense.

(2) Also note that before drilling holes for the expansion pins, check that your drill bit has the correct diameter (width). It is best to error on the side of caution, if you are unsure about the diameter (width) of your drill bit, by using a drill bit smaller than specification. You are drilling into the plastic underside of the bumper (front and rear require the same size hole) and it is easier to widen that hole to accommodate the expansion pins than it is to source a larger expansion pin because you blew a hole to wide.

If I had used the drill bit size acclaimed by the specs (written instructions), the hole would have been too large and the expansion pin would have been too loose, causing poor fitment of the trim piece. I instinctively used a drill bit slightly smaller with the intention of customizing the fit for the hole, as I knew these plastic expansion pins don't always fit precisely right in other areas of the under-car unrelated to the bumper (Mazda uses these plastic expansion pins in the panels everywhere under the CX-9). I widened each hole until the fit was tight and the trim piece was tightly secured flush to the bottom side of the bumper.

Have fun doing your own bumper trim DIY.

where did you get that and how much? please post for the rest of us. I think I'd like to do that.

where did you get that and how much? please post for the rest of us. I think I'd like to do that.

Mine came with the vehicle at POS. However, it is a Mazda Accessory and runs about $450USD retail. However, I have seen the package for $382USD on ebay. I just won't buy such things from eBay, unless I can physically qualify and verify the Source/Supplier.

Very nice. I would love to have those, unfortunately I lack common sense (smash)

I'm 100% positive you can handle it.

i'm sorry but that is hideous. that chrome diffuser looks so out of place. the front chrome looks a bit better, but still horrendous. I never understood what it is with all this chrome on a car.

i'm sorry but that is hideous. that chrome diffuser looks so out of place. the front chrome looks a bit better, but still horrendous. I never understood what it is with all this chrome on a car.

I've seen chrome embellishments on other vehicles that do look hideous in my personal opinion. And, then I've seen some that are spot on and look very OEM:

Hideous:

ICCLsJDE6fsO362XAYbAAw6fx4eVMe.png

Spot on:

pfhmwgE7kSj24VNgO1M43z3QgkUEIe.png

Hideous:

iW3im1DLvmV2bzY1WMFuM9AxnsK3Ov.png

Spot on:

FSupEmXGRs9zvk6tBNx2RseOpZwIpX.png

Hideous:

kLjRLTea4RWlnxtTxl1qYeVO07MraP.png

Spot on:

cache.php

I've seen hideous and I've seen spot on. I think if installed correctly, the 2018 accessory package for the CX-9 fits in the spot on category without question.

I'm surprised that I like the amount of chrome that comes standard on my GT. I usually prefer the look of no chrome at all so don't take this the wrong way. I don't really like that addition in the front but it's no horrible. The rear chrome diffuser, just wow! Not my cup of tea at all.

I'm surprised that I like the amount of chrome that comes standard on my GT. I usually prefer the look of no chrome at all so don't take this the wrong way. I don't really like that addition in the front but it's no horrible. The rear chrome diffuser, just wow! Not my cup of tea at all.

I wasn't completely stoked about either the front or the back in some of the first pics I saw from Mazda. But, I thought it was one thing that could help to make it stand out just a little from the others. It was not until after I installed it personally and then detailed the car by hand that I realized how much better it looks in-person. This was one of those mods that grew on me. Now, I can't imagine the CX-9 without it. Just looks to plain down there with all that black plastic trim with nowhere to go to my eye. To each his own, however. What's one man's treasure is another man's trash.

Back