How to reset tire monitoring system on 2018 cx9

Mazdabear

:
2018 mazda cx9
Hi guys, the TPMS light turned on in my 18 cx9. I inflated the tires to the correct pressure and drove it for about 22 miles at freeway speed thinking it would turn off by itself. But it didn't, the light is still on. I took a quick look over the manual but couldn't find any instruction to reset it. Does anyone know how I can reset it? Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, the TPMS light turned on in my 18 cx9. I inflated the tires to the correct pressure and drove it for about 22 miles at freeway speed thinking it would turn off by itself. But it didn't, the light is still on. I took a quick look over the manual but couldn't find any instruction to reset it. Does anyone know how I can reset it? Thanks in advance.
According to the owners manual, the vehicle has to be in park and the electronic parking brake needs to be engaged. Press the button on the left side of the dash for several seconds until you hear a couple of beeps. You should be good to go.

Btw... The Mazda system for tire pressure monitoring doesn't contain a tire pressure monitor for each tire but calculates tire revolution and speed and throws warnings as the predefined algorithm falls outside of the defined range. It saves money but IMHO it isn't as good as other systems.

Good to know. I was not aware of that. Thanks. I suppose I should reset mine too now that I am at the correct tire pressure. Mine was delivered to me with the overinflated shipping pressure. I was hoping to have individual tire pressure readings vs just the generic low pressure warning since it's fairly loaded with new tech. Gotten spoiled with my wife's car.

I just checked and yes that is the case. How do I reset the pressure? On previous cars you would just air the tires up to a desired pressure then press a button somewhere to set it.

The manual also states that there are individual TPMS devices in each wheel.

I just checked and yes that is the case. How do I reset the pressure? On previous cars you would just air the tires up to a desired pressure then press a button somewhere to set it.

The manual also states that there are individual TPMS devices in each wheel.
Sounds like there is a change from my 2016 edition. Sorry if I presented incorrect information. I assumed the systems we're the same.

From the owner's manual:

Each tire pressure sensor has a unique ID signal code. The signal code must be registered with the TPMS before it can work. The easiest way to do it is to have an Authorized Mazda Dealer change your tire and complete ID signal code registration.

Close Note
When having tires changed at an Authorized Mazda Dealer

When an Authorized Mazda Dealer changes your vehicle's tires, they will complete the tire pressure sensor ID signal code registration.

When changing tires yourself

If you or someone else changes tires, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration.

After tires have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF.

Wait for about 15 minutes.

After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tire pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

I saw that but I think it relates to new devices or installs. Does the TPMS look for an exact tire pressure (ex.-below 30psi) or does it measure the loss of pressure once set (ex.-loss of 4 psi)? Does it set the first time you do the above steps or can it be set at any time?

Since it was delivered at over 50psi and I lowered it to 36 psi and there was no low tire pressure warnings I guess it will go off a a true low pressure and not a loss of a percentage. If it resets with those steps then it could be reset by accident at a low tire pressure and not go off until a very low pressure. I guess I'll test it by lowering the pressure in one tire until I see the warning.

On my wife's last couple of cars you could set it at any pressure you preferred and if it got a percentage lower you got the warning. Her current car gives you exact pressure of each tire in real time.

I saw that but I think it relates to new devices or installs. Does the TPMS look for an exact tire pressure (ex.-below 30psi) or does it measure the loss of pressure once set (ex.-loss of 4 psi)? Does it set the first time you do the above steps or can it be set at any time?

Since it was delivered at over 50psi and I lowered it to 36 psi and there was no low tire pressure warnings I guess it will go off a a true low pressure and not a loss of a percentage. If it resets with those steps then it could be reset by accident at a low tire pressure and not go off until a very low pressure. I guess I'll test it by lowering the pressure in one tire until I see the warning.

On my wife's last couple of cars you could set it at any pressure you preferred and if it got a percentage lower you got the warning. Her current car gives you exact pressure of each tire in real time.

Yes, the TPMS in Mazda cars is very basic, and leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, the TPMS in Mazda cars is very basic, and leaves a lot to be desired.

The fact it saves spending over 50 bucks per tire for a new TPMS sensor when buying winter tires makes any problems negligible. I have had no problems with the fact it's "basic" at all. I for one am very glad they went back to the simpler yet just as effective system.

Mazda Canada says they switched to individual sensors in the wheels for TPMS in the 2018 CX-9 for a more reliable system than the previous indirect system that used the ABS sensors. So now you need to buy another set of sensors if you want TPMS with your winter tires.

Mazda Canada says they switched to individual sensors in the wheels for TPMS in the 2018 CX-9 for a more reliable system than the previous indirect system that used the ABS sensors. So now you need to buy another set of sensors if you want TPMS with your winter tires.

And if you don't install sensors, the tire warning light will stay on all the time.

I paid Cdn$50 each for mine, including all taxes. That's about as cheap as they get; some manufacturers charge upwards of $90 each. Mazda's price is competitive with KalTire's generic sensors -- and theirs don't yet have settings for the 2018 CX9.

BTW, Mazda Canada's reasons are rubbish. I have had ABS-based systems on my last four vehicles and they all worked just fine.

Back