Thoughts on Replacing Brake Fluid every 24K per Maint Schedule??

(scratch)

There are too many other variables to use a distance like you are suggesting.

In addition, it is more of a TIME element and ENVIRONMENTAL factors rather than the distance. Replacing at 60k like you are suggesting would be just fine if you have gone 60k miles in 24-36 months. There are those who may have only driven just 10k miles in 24-36 months, and it would STILL be recommended to change the 10k mile brake fluid.

+1

Changing your fluid is important, but every 24k is super excessive. Every 60k sounds good to me.

If you have 60k or more, changing your brake fluid and flushing to remove air will make the pedal more firm.

In conjunction with what Anchorman, MD and GJ said - check please post #33.

There is a noticeable improvement in pedal feel, braking distance now. This was indeed a darn good decision. I also lubricated all the pads, etc. but the pedal feel - feels like mushy, reacting quicker and is tighter.

Interesting discussion and a good read.
Unfortunately, I would get kicked out of your car club for admitting this, but I have never replaced brake fluid in any vehicle I have ever owned.
I keep my cars a long time, as I've mentioned before, and I have never had brake issues with any vehicle I've owned, beyond normal maintenance (pads, shoes, drums, rotors, whatever).
I'm still using my 2002 Pathfinder as a daily driver, with just over 313,000 Kms on it, and not only have I never flushed the brake fluid, but I am still on the original rear brake shoes and drums.
They've never been replaced in 16 years. I check them annually, and there is still about 30-40% left on the shoes. I use my hand/emergency brake every day as well, and that still works perfectly too.
I guess with my new Mazda 6, I'll have to rethink the brake fluid strategy, but I sure as heck won't be changing it out at 24K miles (about 40K Kms.).
Oh well, happy motoring everyone.

Interesting discussion and a good read.
Unfortunately, I would get kicked out of your car club for admitting this, but I have never replaced brake fluid in any vehicle I have ever owned.
I keep my cars a long time, as I've mentioned before, and I have never had brake issues with any vehicle I've owned, beyond normal maintenance (pads, shoes, drums, rotors, whatever).
I'm still using my 2002 Pathfinder as a daily driver, with just over 313,000 Kms on it, and not only have I never flushed the brake fluid, but I am still on the original rear brake shoes and drums.
They've never been replaced in 16 years. I check them annually, and there is still about 30-40% left on the shoes. I use my hand/emergency brake every day as well, and that still works perfectly too.
I guess with my new Mazda 6, I'll have to rethink the brake fluid strategy, but I sure as heck won't be changing it out at 24K miles (about 40K Kms.).
Oh well, happy motoring everyone.

Just change it along with your brakes whenever it's time to replace them. You will notice improved braking performance on any car thats a few years old or more, or has 100k plus km

In the past I've ran cars well over 200,000 miles and don't replace the brake fluid, unless there's an apparent reason.

My CX-5 Maint Schedule recommends replacing brake fluid every 24K, that seems a bit too often.

I know these new cars use brakes for much more than earlier models, so, maybe it is that important to keep fresher fluid??

Thoughts??

2015 CX-5 Touring FWD(early model, not 2015-1/2)

NE Ohio is not Mexico. You have lower humidity, a lot lower. Follow the US maintenance schedule for the driving you do. Mexico says use 5W-30 oil, do you?

Though a poor indicator, I change the brake/clutch fluid in all my cars and bikes based on color and after about 5 years or more. Since none of their maintenance schedules call for changes, I roll my own. It *IS* important to change it, the question becomes, when?

Changing your fluid is important, but every 24k is super excessive. Every 60k sounds good to me.

If you have 60k or more, changing your brake fluid and flushing to remove air will make the pedal more firm.
If the pedal feels better after changing the fluid, you waited so long to change it.

@Coltx5: you've obviously never been in Ohio in July or August! [emoji16]

Back