CX-9 Oil Change

Question is, why would a dealer recommend conventional, especially on a turbo? Dealer should just say the truth. Conventional is standard, synthetic is an optional upgrade.

Sadly, you can't trust dealers for almost anything. :( It's all about making money for them, after they sell you the car. I am not talking Mazda specific. It happens across the board.
The very few times i've taken my cars to local dealers for some type of work, i have caught them lying or exaggerating more than once. :(

One should do their own research, as much as possible. It could be time consuming and often frustrating, but it's worth it at the end of the day.
>> At the very minimum, READ your user manual that came with the car. All the basics are spelled out there, and the info came from the company that made the car, Not a profit hungry dealer service department.

If at all possible, do your own basic maintenance. It is a lot easier than many people think. Modern cars are easy to maintain when it comes to stuff like oil changes, filters, coolant and even brake pads.
You save a TON of money, and most importantly, you know exactly what parts/fluids go in your own car.
Next best option will be to find a trusted, highly rated independent mechanic. For routine maintenance tasks, you don't need a fancy, expensive repair shop. There are some good people out there who are honest and educated, who can keep your car in top shape for decent cost.

Last edited:
Recently, I did first my oil change and tire rotation for my CX9, at the 5th month, 6000 miles. The dealer was recommending oil change and tire rotation every 4 months or 5000 miles. Oil changing every 4 months seems too frequent, when the manual says 12 months or 7,500 miles or when the low oil indicator lights up. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
12 months or 7500 Miles is what I do. The dealer tried to convince me that was too long, so I went to a different dealer who has no problems sticking to what Mazda engineers say.

12 months or 7500 Miles is what I do. The dealer tried to convince me that was too long, so I went to a different dealer who has no problems sticking to what Mazda engineers say.

On a turbo engine, i would go 7500 miles ONLY if good Synthetic oil is used. Conventional oil, i would recommend changing at 5k miles.
In the CX-9, you have a small, high compression, turbo boosted, fast revving engine. It needs good oil, every day, every time. It is totally worth putting synthetic in it. My 2 cents.

I'll stick to my usual routine. Change oil as per manual, Viscosity per manual, and use Mobile 1 Full Syn. Especially since Walmart carries the 5 Qt for cheap.
We bought Friday so I have not yet looked at oil capacity. Hope its 5 like my 6, 1 jug and done. Then poured back in the jug and on the sidewalk for recycle.

On a turbo engine, i would go 7500 miles ONLY if good Synthetic oil is used. Conventional oil, i would recommend changing at 5k miles.
In the CX-9, you have a small, high compression, turbo boosted, fast revving engine. It needs good oil, every day, every time. It is totally worth putting synthetic in it. My 2 cents.

As long as the oil meets SAE 5W-30 specs, Mazda says you can do 7500 mi intervals in normal driving conditions

As long as the oil meets SAE 5W-30 specs, Mazda says you can do 7500 mi intervals in normal driving conditions

Mazda can say many things but as soon as that powertrain warranty is out - they will tell you that you're on your own. ;) It's your car, your money, your oil choice - your risk.
There is a HUGE difference between SAE 5W-30 conventional oil and SAE 5W-30 Synthetic oil. That difference becomes more obvious in high stress engines and as the miles start to rack up. It's amazing what happens to crappy, cheap oil when continuously exposed to the high heat in a turbocharged engine.

Lately, all car manufacturers are competing on who offers the lowest cost of maintenance for their vehicles. These are the same people who came up with "lifetime" fluids in the Auto transmission. ...or 10yr/150k coolants. ...or 10-15k miles oil changes.
Do you really believe there is such thing as "lifetime" fluid in an Auto transmission? Or 150k miles antifreeze?

Funny how all these transmissions and other systems depending on "lifetime" fluids start to all fail around the 100k miles mark.

Back