CX-9 Oil Change

The different guy said that CX-9 uses synthetic oil.
False. Read your owner's manual. Syn is not required. Won't hurt, might help, not required.
5w30 (Castrol, Shell and others) is not a fully synthetic oil. Here in Europe....
The term "synthetic" is a marketing term, not a technical term. In the U.S. and Canada very highly refined petroleum oil, refined to the standards of Group III base oil, have the legal right to be marketed as synthetic. Group IV base oil, polyalphaolefin (PAO) and Group V (other base oils) might be called "true synthetics."
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29113/base-oil-groups

Group III base oils have a sulfur content less than 0.03%. Saturates (hydrogen molecules vs. oxygen molecules) greater than 90%, and viscosity index greater than 120 (relative change in viscosity between 40C and 100C). The very top Group III base oils are very good. So are PAO and Group V synthetics. It is very difficult to find the type of base oil in the synthetic oils on the shelf. Base oil makes up most of the motor oil. Added to the base oil is the essential additive package...anti wear agents, anti oxidants, anti foamants, viscosity index improvers, pour point depressants, detergents, dispersants, friction modifiers. These are not like the over the counter additives (if you want better oil, buy better oil--don't try to home-brew; we cannot create better oil than the oil company organic chemists). These additive packages are essential parts of the engine oils approved by the engine makers. They come from companies like Lubrizol, Afton Chemical, Chevron Oronite, and Infineum (Exxon/Mobil & Royal Dutch Shell).

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the actual engine oil capacity is when doing oil changes? I've read on manual 4.8L with oil filter replaced, 4.5L without but I got my CX9 oil-changed yesterday (providing my own 5L jug of 5W30 full synthetic) and the local mazda svc dept said they had to top it up with 0.5L as the engine requires a total of 5.5L...I didn't check the oil dipstick afterwards as I trust the svc dept but in hindsight it might have been over-filled? Anyone has done their actual oil changes?

I just changed ours last week and it took 6 full quarts. Manual states 5 quarts, definitely a discrepancy somewhere.

I just changed ours last week and it took 6 full quarts. Manual states 5 quarts, definitely a discrepancy somewhere.

That's about 5.6L then...ok so it's close then. What I found in my last oil change (6mos ago) was the 5L jug I provided while they used entire jug but after going home and letting it sit for awhile I did notice the level in dipstick wasn't at full line so I had to top it up by 0.2-0.3L...

Does anyone know what the actual engine oil capacity is when doing oil changes? I've read on manual 4.8L with oil filter replaced, 4.5L without but I got my CX9 oil-changed yesterday (providing my own 5L jug of 5W30 full synthetic) and the local mazda svc dept said they had to top it up with 0.5L as the engine requires a total of 5.5L...I didn't check the oil dipstick afterwards as I trust the svc dept but in hindsight it might have been over-filled? Anyone has done their actual oil changes?

Dont sweat it. You probably didny overfill but adding a little extra wont hurt these motors.

9-5 of your owner's manual will tell you with oil filter replacement (4.5L or 5.1 US qt) or without oil filter replacement (4.6L or 4.9 US qt)
I would suggest you drain out a bit if you have 6 full quarts in your block as that's 20% over the recommended amount.

According to the dipstick the engine is not overfilled. In fact at 5 quarts it was showing below the lowest add mark.

I checked the dipstick today (car was idle overnight) and the oil level was way over the top fill level therfore the 5.5L that my Mazda dealer put in was way more than the 4.8L that was stated on the manual. I believe anywhere bet 5.0-5.2L should be more than sufficient for an oil change and nothing more...

i'm sorry, but 5w30 (Castrol, shell an othres) is not a fully synthetic oil. Here in Europe there is a polemic with this matter and now, is not fully synthetic oil

doesnt matter, shell or castrol oils are still higher quality than mobil. not all oils are created equal - there are good dino oils out there just like there are lots of bad and overrated synthetic oils out there. if you want the best for your car, look into Motul.

for those of you who live in hot climates or have warm summers, use 5w40.

I always read that you should use conventional oil for a certain amount of miles because of break in and then switch to synthetic afterwards. Thoughts?

What are thoughts on changing oil early (like 1000 miles) to get all the break in crude out?

What are thoughts on changing oil early (like 1000 miles) to get all the break in crude out?

The engine does not fully finish breaking in until 3000 Miles so no use changing it before then.

The oil that Mazda ships the vehicles with is full synthetic

Can you document this? I don't think our turbocharged engines with 5W-30 oil had syn from the factory. The other Mazdas that call for 0W-20 do have syn; that's how 0W-20 must be made.

The engine does not fully finish breaking in until 3000 Miles so no use changing it before then.

Can you document this? Modern engines with modern machining techniques have very little break-in.

My 2013 CX-9, that I just purchased from the original owner, in California, has always had 0W-20 in every dealer oil change. I'm getting ready for an oil change and I planned to continue with 0W-20 fully-synthetic Castrol. I live in Oregon, which has a mild climate 99% of the time. Any reason to reconsider?

No problem at all if that's the viscosity recommended by Mazda for your V6.

At the first oil change for my 2016 CX-9 I had to educate the service writer about the viscosity needed for these engines. He gave me the story that all Mazda engines used 0W-20. I told him he was wrong. He said that my owner's manual specified 0W-20. I told him again that he was wrong. He said that my oil filler cap would list 0W-20. Wrong again. He finally learned that these turbocharged engines need 5W-30. That's the same dealership that had the car for an hour for the scheduled oil change, and touched nothing. There's a pattern here....

Conventional, or synthetic blend, or full synthetic 5W-30?...owner's option.

I had a similar situation with a different outcome. I took mine in for it's first oil change and told them I wanted to switch to synthetic and would pay the difference. When I got home I took a closer look at the paperwork and noticed the oil was 0W-20. I called and asked why they put the wrong oil in. The service writer told me to bring the car back and they would change it again.

Repeat trip and time. You would think the dealer would know the correct viscosity to add to their brand of vehicles.

I don't know why I took the car in for a simple oil change to begin with. I've always done my own basic maintenance when not provided by the manufacturer. I guess I got confused because my other cars all get free basic maintenance for the first few years.

Not according to the dealer. They also recommend conventional

Question is, why would a dealer recommend conventional, especially on a turbo? Dealer should just say the truth. Conventional is standard, synthetic is an optional upgrade.

Last edited:
Back