CX-9 Oil Change

:
2017 CX-9 Touring
Hello,

I am due for the first oil change in my new CX-9. The dealer says to use conventional oil.. I'd like to ask if anyone use full synthetic oil for the CX-9? The dealer told me that since I purchased the CX-9, the first oil change is free. So I'd like to ask any CX-9 owners what oil they use?

Thanks!

Full synthetic 5w30 5.1Q Castrol. I would ask your dealership to see if you can pay the difference and get full synthetic

Any conventional oil that meets the specs (SAE viscosity grade 5W-30, API Service Category SN or newer, ILSAC GF-5 or newer) will work fine and be adequate to maintain the warranty. If you choose, you may upgrade to a syn blend or full syn that meets the same requirements. If you plan on owning this car for many years and many hundreds of thousands of miles, consider the full syn. If you'll be driving in frigid arctic temperatures, get the full syn. If you'll own it long and drive in Death Valley heat, I'd go syn. (I'd probably also go to gasoline-engine 5W-40 for more high heat protection, but that's not in the book.) Synthetics' benefits are that it oxidizes more slowly so it stays good for longer, it thins less when very hot, and thickens less when very cold.

Oil changes are easy on this car. There is an access plate under the engine that is easy to get off. The oil drain plug and filter are right there. We took ours to the dealership for the first free oil change. They forgot to change the oil and filter. Sent the Mrs. home after doing nothing but put the little sticker on the windshield. I use OE filters just as one step of warranty assurance--don't want a argument on that account in case I have a claim. I can always get the oil lab analyzed if I do plan on bringing it in for an engine warranty claim, proving that it has good oil in it at the time of the failure.

Last edited:
I only use full syn Castrol edge 5w30...I live in an extremely cold climate so always use full syn oil

Hello,

I am due for the first oil change in my new CX-9. The dealer says to use conventional oil.. I'd like to ask if anyone use full synthetic oil for the CX-9? The dealer told me that since I purchased the CX-9, the first oil change is free. So I'd like to ask any CX-9 owners what oil they use?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am highly biased when it comes to engine oil.

There is only one choice as far as I am concerned for the Mazda CX-9 post 2016 designs: Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 Synthetic. Two primary reasons: Thermal Performance and Oxidation Performance. These are the two (2) giants that limit or reduce engine wear over time. Amsoil also produced the first API approved Synthetic Engine Oil back in 1972 and has been pioneering the field ever since.

I used to use nothing but Red Line Synthetic years ago and it was a very good lubricant. I switched to Amsoil after educating myself about its history in the field and learning how it stacks up against all others in the areas of Thermal and Oxidation Performance. I am not an Amsoil Distributor and I do not profit from the sale of Amsoil. However, the difference between Amsoil running in my CX-9 can be both felt and heard. The engine runs smoother, starts easier, shuts down quieter and lifter noise is reduced at idle. Both compression and power remain constant on hot weather days and I suspect that my turbo benefits from the reduction in temperatures as well. Finally, Amsoil comes with a Limited Warranty.

Personally I like Mobil but Mazda recommends Castrol. Since I do my own oil changes, I'll use the recommended until my warranty expires to avoid any potential issues.

Thank you all for the info... I like Mobil too, and I've heard about Amsoil as well. I will ask the dealer about using synthetic for the oil change, it'd make sense to use recommended until warranty expires. Would using Mobil one or Amsoil hurt warranty for the CX-9?

Thanks again!

As long as the oil you use meets the specifications stated in the manual it does not matter what brand it is.

Oil manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers make deals which leads to a recommended oil. These deals sometimes change from year to year when a more favorable deal comes along, which leads to a switch in the recommended brand. Brand is not required to keep the warranty in place, only specifications.

As long as the oil you use meets the specifications stated in the manual it does not matter what brand it is.

Oil manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers make deals which leads to a recommended oil. These deals sometimes change from year to year when a more favorable deal comes along, which leads to a switch in the recommended brand. Brand is not required to keep the warranty in place, only specifications.
Exactly.

As for warranty requirements, Mazda recommends you use "brand X" as per their marketing agreement with that oil company, currently Castrol. "Recommends" doesn't mean "required" to use.

As long as you stick with a reputable brand, I would buy whatever's on sale along with a good quality filter.

Brand loyalty is only necessary when that company is paying you to run their product.

Since being impressed with it in my VW GTi, I've started using Liqui Moly in the CX-9. I use and recommend: Liqui Moly Molygen Full Synthetic 5W-30.

All the top brands are about equally excellent. Your engine will like you if you give it a diet of Mobil/Castrol/Pennz/Chevron/...many others. Do avoid the cheapo brands. I'd rather have a top name conventional oil than a cheapo synthetic. There is much more in the oil, the additive package, than if we just thing about whether the base oil is conventional or syn.

Amsoil...excellent products, but of the four 5W-30 oils they make, only two have the approvals required by the engine maker. I'm not saying the others are bad, just that they don't have the paperwork. In case of an engine warranty claim, I want to make everything as easy on myself as possible.

Went to the dealer today for the first oil change. The different guy said that CX-9 uses synthetic oil. Once completed, the invoice states "Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil 5w30". Seems like dealer supplies Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil.

Thanks everyone for the info and help! :)

i'm sorry, but 5w30 (Castrol, shell an othres) is not a fully synthetic oil. Here in Europe there is a polemic with this matter and now, is not fully synthetic oil

Hello,

I am due for the first oil change in my new CX-9. The dealer says to use conventional oil.
To be honest, I'm more than a little surprised/concerned that your dealer would recommend or tell you to use conventional/dinosaur oil in your CX-9.
I'd like to know his logic behind that recommendation.

To be honest, I'm more than a little surprised/concerned that your dealer would recommend or tell you to use conventional/dinosaur oil in your CX-9.
I'd like to know his logic behind that recommendation.

Does the owner's manual state that fully synthetic oil is required or not? Some manufacturers require it (Subaru on their turbo'ed cars, for instance). I'd use the viscosity Mazda recommends, and synthetic certainly can't hurt. Turbos tend to stress the oil more than normally aspirated cars.

You can spend hours researching oil - there are differences in synthetic formulations that some would argue make one brand better than others. Even within the same brand, some viscosities are "true" synthetics while others are formulated from highly refined conventional base stocks.

Personally, I use synthetic and change it every 7k-10k. I suspect that something else on the car will send it to the junkyard before something oil-related in the engine does.

i'm sorry, but 5w30 (Castrol, shell an othres) is not a fully synthetic oil. Here in Europe there is a polemic with this matter and now, is not fully synthetic oil

Probably in your region but most of us are here in NA and the 5W30 is the spec/grade but there is a diff bet the conventional and synthetic oil. While synthetic is not required by the manufacturer, use of fully synthetic does help esp in extreme climate temp regions (like where I am located and currently is minus 30deg C w/o windchill!) and for high compression engines and turbo charged engines. Like I mentioned in my prev post I only use Castrol Edge full syn 5W30 and have good experience with it in my prev vehicle (Volvo XC60 with 3.0L T6 engine). I believe BP has formulated the Castrol Edge specifically for the NA market same and they formulate their oils for use in specific/diff regions. Not sure what your basis is for specifying that the 5W30 is not fully synthetic but again the 5W30 is the spec/grade and not whether it is synthetic or conventional. There is indeed a diff bet conventional (uses crude/base oil) and synthetic (modified petroleum oil) and not that I am an expert or anything but how I knew the diff was working for Shell in the past (studied lubricants and their properties) and in researching as well.

Last edited:
Back