Anyone try Bar's Leaks Power Steering Repair?

Holiday

:
Protege 5
Car started making that whining sound you hear in a lot of older cars like when doing slow speed short turns. Seems I may have to do a power steering fluid change but I can't get that done at the moment. Wondering if in the meantime something like Bar's Leaks Power Steering Repair would do the trick? Also wanting to ask if Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF works as well or better than the recommended ATF M-111?

Oh, and I might as well ask an unrelated question here. I understand why reverse gear is difficult to get into but mine is like annoyingly difficult requiring multiple tries. Which leads me to believe perhaps something is worn in the shifter. Am I right or is it just the way it is?

Thanks.

Don't pin your steering wheel. Turn it till the noise starts then back off the steering wheel a bit.

Don't turn your steering wheel if your tires aren't rolling,.. Its Really hard on all the steering components... You're scrubbing your tires on the ground.

If it's always making noise then you've got bigger problems.

Last edited:
I understand why reverse gear is difficult to get into but mine is like annoyingly difficult requiring multiple tries. Which leads me to believe perhaps something is worn in the shifter. Am I right or is it just the way it is?

No,... That's just the way it is.

When it happens to me I put the gearshift into third then try again if that doesn't work, I go third then fifth then try reverse again.
If that doesn't work then I let out the clutch and start over.

Try to get your gearshift into R before your car comes to an absolute stop.... It won't let you put it in R if you're "moving" but I'm talking 1/2 a m/hr.

Either a bit of roll or going through some gears helps to realign the gear teeth.

No Bar Leaks but did do the BG Services flush on my ps long long time ago. Still no issues with original steering rack/pump. (knocks on wood)

https://www.bgprod.com/services/power-steering/

Have used the Lucas ps stuff on my truck to stop seeps on rack ends and seems to be dry for quite some time now( again with the knocking on wood)

Car started making that whining sound you hear in a lot of older cars like when doing slow speed short turns. Seems I may have to do a power steering fluid change...

My car will make that noise too if I'm not rolling fast enough. I'm pretty sure it would have done it when the car was brand new.

The power steering system is quite reliable and I don't recall anyone posting about problems with it.

The manual says that periodic power steering fluid changes are not necessary.

Hearing that noise means you're stressing the system.

Changing your fluid wouldn't hurt or if you're losing fluid stop leak may help but not necessary otherwise.

Screenshot_20171226-073021.png

Back