Grinding Sound When Shifting out of Park

chriscc64

:
2006 Mazda 6 Sport
My automatic transmission will not engage and there is a high pitched grinding sound when I shift out of park into reverse or drive. The grinding sound continues for a few seconds after returning it to park. This symptom started while my wife was driving the car after I had driven it with no issues. She said that when she left, the steering felt loose and the steering wheel was going left to right as she drove forward. She got out to see if the wheels were loose but she could not see anything out of place. When she tried to return to the house after a 4 mile drive, she could not get it into gear.

The only thing in the car's recent history that could be related is that I bent the front passenger side rim hitting a pothole. I may have caused damage to the drive axle on that side. I could not find any online stories of anyone with these particular symptoms. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

It was the outer CV joint spinning free and clattering against itself. Thanks to everyone who tried to help or offer advice, **** everyone else.

Back