P0455

GiddyKong

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I got a CEL, as title says P0455. I already grabbed a new gas cap, and still have the light after 40mi. Where else do you guys suggest I start?

Try rubbing the code first. It may not reset itself or may takes bunch of drive cycles and conditions to be met to reset itself. (with a code reader or just disconnect your battery for ten minutes)

If the code comes back, then it's a PITA.
The best way to find it is with a smoke tester but you have to close a couple valves first in some sort of test mode.

You could check your purge control solenoid valve if it comes back... It's easy enough to do.
But there is a separate code for that.

Screenshot_20171219-190715.png

I just had this. Replaced the cap didn't solve it. So I took off the hoses for the Solenoid under the hood for the gas pressure (forgot what it's called) if no leaks replace it. I bought this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
I haven't had it come back on in a couple of months. Cheap but fixed my problem. Better than paying $90 for oem.

That's the purge control solenoid valve.
There's a good chance that it's the cause of your leak.
The CEL associated with it covers the circuit for it but may not detect the part not sealing properly.

It's easy to test and replace.

Screenshot_20171220-081300.png

Screenshot_20171220-081144.png

i also had that same problem. replaced that dumb solenoid and code went away.

i also had that same problem. replaced that dumb solenoid and code went away.

You guys were lucky.
If it were leaking somewhere else, it can be really hard to find and a huge pain to fix... Like replacing your gas tank.

Based on my lack of free time I’d make someone else do it for me lol

Or just throw a ten dollar solenoid at it and see if it fixes it.
He probably spent more on the gas cap.

The purge control solenoid valve sounds likes very likely suspect.

Back