2016-2018 model rear lift-gate button on vehicle dash

mifanning

:
2017 Mazda CX9 Signature in machine gray
I recently purchased a 2017 Signature edition and find that the button on the dash that permits opening/closing of the rear lift-gate works intermittently. I've tried it with the vehicle power on and off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I checked the manual and it doesn't provide any clarifying information. Anyone else having this issue?

I recently purchased a 2017 Signature edition and find that the button on the dash that permits opening/closing of the rear lift-gate works intermittently. I've tried it with the vehicle power on and off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I checked the manual and it doesn't provide any clarifying information. Anyone else having this issue?
I think you should fulfill these parameters:
1. Handbrake should be activated
2. Door locks are unlocked
3. Transmission should be at park.

Never experienced that issue so far with mine almost a year now. I do however have the vehicle trans in Park and doors unlocked but handbrake or electronic parking brake not engaged (and tailgate opening/closing works)

Never experienced that issue so far with mine almost a year now. I do however have the vehicle trans in Park and doors unlocked but handbrake or electronic parking brake not engaged (and tailgate opening/closing works)

I'll try it with vehicle in park and doors unlocked and see what happens. Thanks!

Also make sure that you aren't parked on an incline. I've had the same issue and I think that is the reason for the intermittent nature.

I have had this issue, but only once. I couldn't get the dash button to open the tailgate at all that day. I was able to use the key fob with no issue, and the button on the tailgate itself worked to close it, but the dash button did nothing. Next day it started working again and has since then? A bit strange, but I'm not worrying about it unless it happens again.

The e-brake doesn't have to be engaged.

Also make sure you press and HOLD. Doesn't open with a simple push.

Yep, press and hold for a moment. Mazda doesn't want the liftgate to open if you inadvertently brush the button.

Solved!

I think you should fulfill these parameters:
1. Handbrake should be activated
2. Door locks are unlocked
3. Transmission should be at park.

Thanks to all who helped. The only two requirements are for the transmission to be in park and the doors unlocked. Works fine now!(yes)

Back