CX-5 2017 fender broke

I'd say something has happened at the factory or at the dealer to that fender and it was never fixed properly/quality control on your vehicle during production was for some reason poor

Thanks for posting that video. I would have called that "wheel well trim" rather than fender, but whatever.

What's hard to understand is how the thing broke. It's one piece of plastic. To break something like that usually takes repetitive bending. So maybe it was flapping in the slipstream for quite awhile before it broke off. ??

Thanks for posting that video. I would have called that "wheel well trim" rather than fender, but whatever.

What's hard to understand is how the thing broke. It's one piece of plastic. To break something like that usually takes repetitive bending. So maybe it was flapping in the slipstream for quite awhile before it broke off. ??

Could have been damaged before hand as in whilst in transportation from factory or at dealer and then it finally came off

I didnt notice anything loose or odd at that time when I did a pre check before a long trip. I was only cruising at 50mph when I heard something snap/ break. No dents or anything it just seemed like somebody ripped it off

I didnt notice anything loose or odd at that time when I did a pre check before a long trip. I was only cruising at 50mph when I heard something snap/ break. No dents or anything it just seemed like somebody ripped it off
Could have been a non visable issue

I took all four off mine for waxing under the arches. I had a hell of a job getting them off.

A7_FA16_F1-_BB0_C-4854-_A035-_A481818_B70_BE.jpg

Dropped the car at the dealership and they are fixing it under warranty. I will be able to get it back on Wednesday. For the mean time I was given a loaner CX5 2017 Touring AWD........ now being driven Manual on Sports mode........zoom zoom baby, lol....... I would never drive my car this way.

Ah, it's the trim piece. I thought it was in the wheel well (mazda calls this the inner fender). Good bet at some point it took an impact from something and the bitter cold + wind fatigue snapped a clip or two and it unzippered. Curbing or snow dam can do that. May have even happened before you owned it.

Another wild thought. Some water got in there, froze and the ice pressure helped pop a clip. Not sure if this is possible.

Last edited:
The roads here get covered in salt every winter. It wouldnt end up with it falling apart but a good layer of spray on wax stops the surface rust and protects the untreated metal parts.
That, sir, is true dedication to your ride. I've never heard of anyone going to such lengths to protect their car, but I'm impressed.

Dropped the car at the dealership and they are fixing it under warranty. I will be able to get it back on Wednesday. For the mean time I was given a loaner CX5 2017 Touring AWD........ now being driven Manual on Sports mode........zoom zoom baby, lol....... I would never drive my car this way.

Good to hear it's getting fixed so promptly and a nice loaner vehicle to boot!

If I may be so bold to ask, what dealership is this?

Back