CX-5 2017 fender broke

:
CX-5 2017 GT AWD
My CX-5 2017 GT AWD is just 2 months old. We were cruising at 55mph when we heard something snapped and heard something like broke and got run over. There was nothing on the road that we could have run over. On our first PEE break at a service stop i noticed my LEFT REAR FENDER MISSING HALF OF IT. Yup half it missing and the other half is intact. Two clips holding the missing half of the fender is gone while the rest of the clip is still attached to the metal part of the car. The only explanation I can think of is that the 2 missing clipped loosened, fell of and making the plastic fender flap or got bend by the wind as we travel and eventually snapped and broke.
Do you guys think this should be covered by warranty. That plastic fender is so darn thin.

38293823105_8669b9d502_b.jpg

Last edited:
Bizarre. Absolutely should be warranty.
There are a few little plastic pieces on the exterior that detract from the solidity or integrity of the body, as well.

But if it just fell off, you wouldn't expect to hear it sound like it got run over, because it's the piece behind the wheel, right?

No.

It didn’t leave the factory like that so either you did it without knowing , some lovely third party did it in a parking lot did it or the dealer did it before you got it. There is no way it came apart on its own.

Yes it is the rear fender but it is the half part that is in front of the rear wheel. I will take a picture in the morning, just too cold last night. Part (2/2)

1K00U71.jpg

Last edited:
I will post a pic later. I did some checking before we started our long trip. I didn't notice anything loose or unusual in the fender as I was checking the tires. It did came apart.

Same thing happened to my 2013 about a year ago driving late at night on interstate 5 in Calif. Front clips weakened and broke, dragging trim behind car for a mile or so before I could pull off to investigate. Helluva racket , but no other damage. Yes, it will be covered by warranty on your 2017. I found the part online for about $55 and replaced it myself.

So it really does happen. Somebody posted no way it was going apart on its own.

Me. A lot can happen in 4 years and if the 2013 fell apart, it will have been interfered with or damaged in some way over that period of time. I’ve seen many examples where cars have been pulled apart and not put back as well as they should have been. Has yours had any accessories fitted since new?

How cold was it? Sounds like something busted a clip. Rare but not unheard of - most cars the inner fender is only held on with a few clips. It's interesting to me... almost like the part is sort of expected to be sacrificial.

Also I bet it took some damage at some point prior and finally gave way.

Me. A lot can happen in 4 years and if the 2013 fell apart, it will have been interfered with or damaged in some way over that period of time. I’ve seen many examples where cars have been pulled apart and not put back as well as they should have been. Has yours had any accessories fitted since new?

No accessories fitted they have not touched it since I got it from dealership. I did some checks before the long trip,,,, tire area, belts, waterlevel the basic checks before a long trip.

In my case, there was no plausible explanation other than fatigue of the retaining clips combined with 75 mph vehicle speed. I've owned the car since new and nothing has ever been done to that area. I had plenty of time to think about the incident after as I was on my way home from SoCal and the only thing that could possibly have occurred is that I ran over something on the freeway which kicked up and hit the leading edge (seems highly unlikely!) of the trim piece, causing the clips to break. However it was dead quiet that time of night, I didn't have the radio on and I would have heard/felt something if I had rolled over an obstacle.

No accessories fitted they have not touched it since I got it from dealership. I did some checks before the long trip,,,, tire area, belts, waterlevel the basic checks before a long trip.

I’m on your side. I hope they sort it out for you.

Wow, maybe some plastic clips got brittle with the cold and broke off in the wind. We got some snow here too, possibly an ice chunk in the wheel flew out and hit something.. at least everyone is safe.

Back