'17 CX-5 GT Trailer Wiring Harness

MikeyPilot

:
2017 Mazda CX5
Just got my CX-5 a couple weeks ago and its pretty awesome. When I went to pick up the CX-5 the dealer told me that the OEM Trailer Wiring Harness was recalled. Wish they would have told me ahead of time....

- Has anyone purchased an aftermarket wiring harness for a '17 CX-5?
- Did you or the dealer install it?

I am wondering when they will have a new harness out - the OEM kind - if it is plug and play, I want to wait for it.

I am wondering when they will have a new harness out - the OEM kind - if it is plug and play, I want to wait for it.

I just bought the Curt wiring harness. It's supposed to be custom for the CX-5, plug and play into the existing tail lights. I'll be taking it to Mazda to install, its too cold to be outside and install it myself.

US OEM kind was not plug and play. It required wire taps on all connections. I believe it was recalled due to possible improper cable routing at the muffler. Not sure if resolved, but this could be contributing to your dealer's supply issues. I do not have source info, just read it somewhere.

Canada OEM part (no idea why they were different) is plug and play at the tail lights, but you still have to modify / tap into an existing harness at the rear for the power supply. But it sure was nice using an OEM cable in the vehicle's harness and not having to run a new cable / fuse it. It looked very much like it was supplied by Reese / curt / etc. It looked just like the universal one I had in my last car, just with specific tail light harnesses and the pin to tap into the harness.

I installed my own. It wasn't terribly difficult by you need to be comfortable and careful of the interior plastics as pretty much the whole trunk needs torn apart for access to the harnesses at the rear of the car.

It looks like Mazda now has a wiring harness out. For the 2018/17 they list part # with an A suffix now

TRAILER LIGHT ADAPTER (WIRING HARNESS) 0000-8E-R07A $66.95

Back