Installed paddle shifters in my CX-9

:
2016 cx9
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG

and LED upgrade
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Nice! I did the same for my CX-5 a few years back and was wondering if the wiring was there to do the same with the CX-9. Looks like i've got a new project!

Nice! I did the same for my CX-5 a few years back and was wondering if the wiring was there to do the same with the CX-9. Looks like i've got a new project!

No kidding, a new project. I did not know these were available for the CX-9. Had I known, it would have been one of my first project mods.

Just wanted to check-in and see if anyone's given this a go with the 2017 CX-9? Not sure if the part numbers for the '17 Mazda6 paddles are the same as for the '16. (shrug)

Hey guys, so I'm trying to find the correct part numbers to do this retrofit on a 2017 CX-9. My simple logic was to try and find the parts for 2017 Mazda6 since the parts for a 2016 Mazda6 seem to work for a 2016 CX-9.

Wire Harness: ?? (for 2016 Mazda 6, the following part seems to work: BNK8-66-4M2 (link) )
Rear cover: GRT7-32-049D-02 (Link)
Paddle Switch/Paddles: BHT1-66-3P0 (Link)
Paddle Switch Screw/Bolt: GJS2-32-750 (Link)

I based this parts list from the following DIY guide for a 2016 Mazda6 retrofit: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861198-HOW-TO-Install-paddle-shifters-2016-Touring

Anyone have any idea on the correct part number for the Wiring Harness? It's only a ~$20 part so I might just get the one used in the above DIY guide and see if it works on a '17 CX-9 since I doubt there were any serious upgrades to the steering parts between a '16 and '17 CX-9.

Just mainly checking to see if anyone's been successful with this retrofit (aside from the OP who hasn't provided parts numbers used for his install)?

Hey guys, so I'm trying to find the correct part numbers to do this retrofit on a 2017 CX-9. My simple logic was to try and find the parts for 2017 Mazda6 since the parts for a 2016 Mazda6 seem to work for a 2016 CX-9.

Comparing your part numbers to the fische, two items worry me. The rear cover and the paddle harness. There seem to be three options for the rear cover:
1)W/o Heat, W/o Paddles - TK4832049A02, this appears to be discontinued?
2)W/ heat, W/o Paddles - TK48-32-049D-02
3)w/o heat, w/ paddles - GRT7-32-049D-02

I happen to have the heated steering wheel, so this makes me believe that I cannot have that and paddles at the same time. Has anyone seen a 6 with both heated steering wheel and paddles?

Regarding the harness, The 6 fische call out a "harness" with a part number: TK50-57-KHX, but looking at the drawing it sure does not appear to be an electrical harness? The part number you called out (BNK8-66-4M2) looks like the correct harness, but of course, it's not for a 6.

You'll likely also need the wire adapter from Japanparts to plug into the cars main harness inside the steering column, like linxiabing shows in his photos. Most likely the same one used on the cx-5 will work.

For the most part, all the numbers are there, there's just a few small grey areas that need to be worked out.

Thanks Srad for looking into this!

Regarding your question about the heated steering wheel WITH paddle shifters, looking at Mazda6 specs on the MazdaUSA website it appears the 2017/2017.5 Mazda6 does not offer this combination.... BUT, the 2018 Mazda6 (in GT Reserve and Signature trims) does indeed offer this combination. Unfortunately, as yet it does not seem like you can buy parts for the 2018 Mazda6.
https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/mazda6/specs#

As for the Harness, yeah that's where I'm a little stuck. The part number I listed (BNK8-66-4M2) even though on all the Mazda parts site is not listed as a fit for a Mazda6, the guy who created the DIY tutorial I linked to used that exact part on his '16 Mazda6 retrofit. Knowing Mazda, it's probably going to work on the CX-9 if it works on the 6, and also it's a $25 part so not a big waste if it doesn't work out.

I completely forgot about the wire adapter for the steering column! In looking at the Mazda6 DIY that step isn't necessary, so I was somewhat hoping it wouldn't be need for the CX-9 either...but it makes sense that it would since the CX-9 wouldn't be pre-wired for paddles shifter compatibility like the 6. Bummer, but we had to do it for the CX-5 paddles so nothing new (hopefully).

I guess since they don't have the 2018 Mazda6 rear covers available yet, I'll be the guinea pig and try this first. Seems like it'll be an identical DIY to the CX-5 retrofit. I might start order parts soon and then find a quiet weekend to give it a go.

BUT, the 2018 Mazda6 (in GT Reserve and Signature trims) does indeed offer this combination. Unfortunately, as yet it does not seem like you can buy parts for the 2018 Mazda6.
Yep, looks like I'll have to wait a bit.

it's probably going to work on the CX-9 if it works on the 6, and also it's a $25 part so not a big waste if it doesn't work out.
True, I'd bet that it will work as well. Sounds like it's worth a try.

I completely forgot about the wire adapter for the steering column! In looking at the Mazda6 DIY that step isn't necessary, so I was somewhat hoping it wouldn't be need for the CX-9 either...but it makes sense that it would since the CX-9 wouldn't be pre-wired for paddles shifter compatibility like the 6.
My thoughts as well, as I recall this part was pretty inexpensive as well. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

I guess since they don't have the 2018 Mazda6 rear covers available yet, I'll be the guinea pig and try this first. Seems like it'll be an identical DIY to the CX-5 retrofit. I might start order parts soon and then find a quiet weekend to give it a go.
Keep us in the loop, It'd be nice to put together a nice how-to similar to what was done for the CX-5. (drive2)

Hi, my name satrio from indonesia. Just install paddle shift on my 2018 Mazda cx9. I installed it at Mazda dealer here. I think they did some custom change on the wiring harnes things and everything else were installed perfectly ( i used mazda cx5 parts and for the plastic cover behind the steering wheel i used mazda 6). what happen now.. none of the paddle shift works. Nothing. what is wrong and what should to do? Need some coding works?
Please advise...

Back