Possible fuel leak from 2017 CX-5

jaypdx

Contributor
:
none
I generally park outside but today I put the CX-5 in the garage. After a few hours there's a distinct smell of gasoline. I didn't run the car in the garage at all, and it hasn't been fueled recently. No sign of any leaks on the floor under the vehicle. Gas cap is on all the way, and the smell doesn't seem to be particularly strong around the cap.

I've parked in there before and never noticed this. I'm going to air out the garage and park it in there again tomorrow and see if I still smell it.

Has anyone had any similar problems with late-model CX-5s?

Leaning towards normal tank vent... Wouldn't a leak also mess with the pressurized fuel system and throw errors? The vent's charcoal canister should catch most of the gas vapor though.

One possibility is that your gas cap is faulty. I had one last year that failed inspection. Not faulty enough to throw a code, but not holding pressure as it should have.

And then finally - you don't top off your gas tank do you? If you top off with cold gas and then park in a warm garage, that gas will expand in volume and can spill into the vent and soak the charcoal canister.

Last edited:
Leaning toward faulty, maybe not sealed good enough gas cap. Gas caps aren't supposed to vent to the atmosphere.

Thanks for the replies. It's a little warmer in the garage than outside right now. How can I test the vent and/or gas cap seal?

They vent under the wheel arch just below the filler door.

Yep. I see that on the diagram, now. Labeled as the "breather hose". Wasn't aware of that. Could be why I smelled fumes from time to time on my other CX5.

Last edited:
Back