2017 GT - Lower Subwoofer Output With Mazda Cargo Liner

wushane

:
2017 CX-5 GT
I have the 2017 CX-5 GT with the Bose stereo, and after installing the Mazda rubber cargo liner I've noticed lower bass output from the sub. anyone else experience this or am I crazy?

Logically, I understand that covering a sound output would muffle it a bit, but I didn't really expect that much of a difference with a subwoofer and a thin layer of rubber.

Thoughts?

Don't want to say you're crazy but it's most likely your imagination. Bass waves move omnidirectionally. Placing a rubber cargo liner in the cargo area would not stifle or muffle the sub. In fact, placing anything into the cargo area would have no effect on the sub. The sub is already covered by the panel that is the floor of the cargo area. Putting something on that panel will not affect the subs output.

I have had my 2017 CX-5 GT for about 6 months, At first I thought the sound system was ok at best. Then lately I would say about a month now I notice my sound system was sounding awesome with more bass. I did install a aftermarket cargo floor liner about a month ago. Before reading this thread I thought to myself, "maybe I turned up the bass setting" but I verified and I did not. I don't know, But I'm starting to think its true....(uhm)

Adding a floor liner will neither increase or decrease the bass output from the sub.

We also need to consider recording. Some music have slightly above average low frequency recording, some don't have at all especially those recordings during the 70's where sub woofers are not yet that popular.

Don't want to say you're crazy but it's most likely your imagination. Bass waves move omnidirectionally. Placing a rubber cargo liner in the cargo area would not stifle or muffle the sub. In fact, placing anything into the cargo area would have no effect on the sub. The sub is already covered by the panel that is the floor of the cargo area. Putting something on that panel will not affect the subs output.

Directionality and penetrability are two entirely different, independent characteristics.

Adding a floor liner will neither increase or decrease the bass output from the sub.

It won't change the raw output, but it will change the sound pressure on the other side of it. It may not be much, but it will be measurable, and perceptible to some people [and not others].
Consider how many people remove the cloth grill from their home speakers in the belief that the grill changes the sound.

If the materials in a listening environment, especially located between the sound source and the listener, didn't matter, there would be no point to the science of acoustics.

Of course, if you crank it up loud enough, the whole car will vibrate, and it won't matter. (idhitit)

Directionality and penetrability are two entirely different, independent characteristics.

It won't change the raw output, but it will change the sound pressure on the other side of it. It may not be much, but it will be measurable, and perceptible to some people [and not others].
Consider how many people remove the cloth grill from their home speakers in the belief that the grill changes the sound.

If the materials in a listening environment, especially located between the sound source and the listener, didn't matter, there would be no point to the science of acoustics.

Of course, if you crank it up loud enough, the whole car will vibrate, and it won't matter. (idhitit)
Frequencies below 80hz react differently because it has longer sound waves compared to mid lows to high frequencies. Low frequencies need a very dense and thick mass to minimize or stop its propagation. Yes the effect may or may not be heard but a rubber mat would unlikely have a diminishing or observable effect. You can experiment by placing a carpet and play your sub at around 70db. Using test tones may be helpful.

Last edited:

Yes, in the belief that it will. Not because it does

I will grant you that in a standard directional speaker, placing your hand or a pillow over the cone and driver will have a muffling effect. However adding a cargo mat/liner to the cargo area of the car is not going to muffle to stifle the sound of the sub. It just won't.

Back