Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CX5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
    Volkswagen a better "brand" than Mazda? That's a new one.

Right now, Volkswagen's brand image sucks. They went through a streak of build quality problems and poor reliability in the 2000s, and most people I know who had VWs in that decade said "never again". They seemed to be rebuilding their popularity with the TDI, and then dieselgate happened.

If you go back in time to circa 2000, their offerings were more up-class. My wife owned a Jetta GLX that was near Audi-like. But now they are more below class than above it. They have bland, dated looking design and their interiors feel cheap relative to their selling price.

Regarding resale price, certain models like the GTI may hold up better than Mazdas because they still have a following.
    I mean VW as a whole. That includes Porsche, et al. VW has a real budget. Mazda hasn't figured out how to do live-traffic NAV yet. I love their SkyActiv drivelines, and they have done a bang-up job on suspensions (always have), but that's where my praise stops. The rest is pure first-gen Kia.
    http://mazda.custhelp.com/app/answer...ve-traffic)%3F

'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited

I'm with you on the nav. Offering a nav system without live traffic is inexplicable these days. Beyond that, there's pretty much nothing I like about the infotainment system.

Although VW may have a large budget, their offerings seem stale and overpriced to me.

Registered Member

2004 Toyota Sienna LE AWD

I remember reading this thread earlier this year when I was still trying to talk my wife into buying a Mazda...where the closest dealer was 12 miles and a crappy 30-40 minute (during the week) drive to get to. For me, the decision came down to simple economics...the VW dealer is 2 miles (less than 10 minutes) away, the car*s warranty will last until my 8th grade daughter is a sophomore in college, and I got a 2018 Sportwagen with 4MOTION and the DSG transmission that is in the GTI for $18,200 ($20,100 OTD). I was tempted to buy a stick, but it will be said daughter*s car to drive in HS, and she gets distracted by a fly. Car drives like WAY more than an $18K car.

It sounds like the Golf mk8 is dropping the wagon in the US, so anyone who wants a manual transmission and AWD for cheap should jump on these cars while they are still on lots.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by bebopdeluxe View Post
    I remember reading this thread earlier this year when I was still trying to talk my wife into buying a Mazda...where the closest dealer was 12 miles and a crappy 30-40 minute (during the week) drive to get to. For me, the decision came down to simple economics...the VW dealer is 2 miles (less than 10 minutes) away, the car*s warranty will last until my 8th grade daughter is a sophomore in college, and I got a 2018 Sportwagen with 4MOTION and the DSG transmission that is in the GTI for $18,200 ($20,100 OTD). I was tempted to buy a stick, but it will be said daughter*s car to drive in HS, and she gets distracted by a fly. Car drives like WAY more than an $18K car.

It sounds like the Golf mk8 is dropping the wagon in the US, so anyone who wants a manual transmission and AWD for cheap should jump on these cars while they are still on lots.
    Wow that sounds like a steal tbh.. would make a good tuner platform.. hmm

edit just looked these things are fugly
    Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 11-03-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Curious why you didn't get an Alltrack if AWD was a priority? BTW, my understanding is that VW is not dropping the Golf wagon, but the 2019 will have the smaller 1.4 ltr turbo they currently use in the Jetta. I'll be in the market next year for a replacement for my 2013 CX-5 and the FWD Sportwagen is on my short list. However it would have to be a 2018 with the larger engine and I'm afraid they'll be out of them by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. That leaves me with either the next-gen Mazda 3, the Civic Sport hatch or the Hyundai Elantra GT Sport. Unless something else appears on the horizon. Still slim pickings for us 5 door hatch/small wagon fans!

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

For me, the decision came down to simple economics...the VW dealer is 2 miles (less than 10 minutes) away, the car's warranty will last until my 8th grade daughter is a sophomore in college, and I got a 2018 Sportwagen with 4MOTION and the DSG transmission that is in the GTI for $18,200 ($20,100 OTD). I was tempted to buy a stick, but it will be said daughter's car to drive in HS, and she gets distracted by a fly. Car drives like WAY more than an $18K car.
    What do you mean your VW Golf SportWagen is in the GTI? The MSRP for base model Golf SportWagen S with 4MOTION® is $25,930. Your final price is at least $7,730 / ~30% off the MSRP?! Very nice!

And 6-year / 72,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is very nice too!

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

He means the DSG used in the 4Motion is the same as used in the GTI.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Wow that sounds like a steal tbh.. would make a good tuner platform.. hmm

edit just looked these things are fugly
    I don*t disagree about the exterior styling - although the interior in pretty nice for the price.

For me, it was simply the case that the price/value was too ridiculous to ignore. Purchasing a car at $7,000 under INVOICE gets your attention. The 1.8T/DSG/4MOTION drivetrain in a car that - out the door - was $20K offset the bland styling. For those who want a more arresting exterior, I would understand someone preferring the CX-3, for example - which looks awesome and drives great. But, from a value perspective, the GSW is hard to beat.

And as a tuner platform, the EA888 engines (both the 1.8 and 2.0) are well-liked by the tuner crowd...although it drives fine as-is for my wife!
    Last edited by bebopdeluxe; 11-03-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Curious why you didn't get an Alltrack if AWD was a priority? BTW, my understanding is that VW is not dropping the Golf wagon, but the 2019 will have the smaller 1.4 ltr turbo they currently use in the Jetta. I'll be in the market next year for a replacement for my 2013 CX-5 and the FWD Sportwagen is on my short list. However it would have to be a 2018 with the larger engine and I'm afraid they'll be out of them by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. That leaves me with either the next-gen Mazda 3, the Civic Sport hatch or the Hyundai Elantra GT Sport. Unless something else appears on the horizon. Still slim pickings for us 5 door hatch/small wagon fans!
    I did look at the Alltrack S - but the best deal I could find (based on less dealer inventory for Alltracks than GSW’s) was $23,800 OTD - and I couldn’t justify the extra $ for what was basically the same car from a structural perspective. The SE was significantly more - and I also did not want the sunroof (which seems to be an issue with the GSW/Alltrack).

The Golf mk7 is the last Golf being built at the Puebla plant - German workers are forcing VAG to bring Golf production back to Wolfsburg for the mk8...which will not only drive up the cost of the car, but will probably force VAG to be more selective about how many Golf variants will be sold in the US. Given the sluggish sales of the GSW, they may focus only on the Alltrack moving forward - if they continue to make a wagon for the US market.

Arrow

He means the DSG used in the 4Motion is the same as used in the GTI.
    OK, thanks. I thought VW uses DSG for all of its vehicles in the US. Didn't know there's different version of DSG in a GTI.

Arrow CX-5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

* For me, it was simply the case that the price/value was simply too ridiculous to ignore. Purchasing a car at $7,000 under INVOICE gets your attention. The 1.8T/DSG/4MOTION drivetrain in a car that - out the door - was $20K offset the bland styling.
    Nothing wrong with that. I'll do the same even if I've given up the VW after getting 3 VW's before.

Arrow CX-5 vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

⋯ BTW, my understanding is that VW is not dropping the Golf wagon, but the 2019 will have the smaller 1.4 ltr turbo they currently use in the Jetta. I'll be in the market next year for a replacement for my 2013 CX-5 and the FWD Sportwagen is on my short list. However it would have to be a 2018 with the larger engine and I'm afraid they'll be out of them by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. That leaves me with either the next-gen Mazda 3, the Civic Sport hatch or the Hyundai Elantra GT Sport. Unless something else appears on the horizon. Still slim pickings for us 5 door hatch/small wagon fans!
    If VW is going to drop old 1.8T and use 1.4T instead, I definitely would try to stay with 1.8T which has been on the market for 15 years from Audi. I may consider to get one right now if I can find a deal like OP did!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    OK, thanks. I thought VW uses DSG for all of its vehicles in the US. Didn't know there's different version of DSG in a GTI.
    The 4MOTION GSW and Alltracks have a 6-speed DSG - similar to the GTI. The Golf R has a 7-speed DSG.

The front-wheel drive GSW with automatic has a traditional 6 speed setup.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If VW is going to drop old 1.8T and use 1.4T instead, I definitely would try to stay with 1.8T which has been on the market for 15 years from Audi. I may consider to get one right now if I can find a deal like OP did!
    I live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia - virtually no 2018 GSW*s in stock...and what they had weren*t being given away. On the other hand, there were a TON of GSW*s in the Maryland/Virginia area (perhaps because VAG*s North American HQ is in Virginia)...which is why I bought there. PM me if you want to know the dealer I used - they were great.

Arrow CX-5 vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

I live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia - virtually no 2018 GSW*s in stock...and what they had weren*t being given away. On the other hand, there were a TON of GSW*s in the Maryland/Virginia area (perhaps because VAG*s North American HQ is in Virginia)...which is why I bought there. PM me if you want to know the dealer I used - they were great.
    Thanks for the explanation on VW’s DSGs. I don’t pay too much attention anymore to VW after a very disappointing purchase of my 2001.5 Passat GLX V6 with severe oil consumption problem. I still have a 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro which is the early version of the VW’s 4Motion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast