Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CX5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Registered Member

2004 Toyota Sienna LE AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation on VW*s DSGs. I don*t pay too much attention anymore to VW after a very disappointing purchase of my 2001.5 Passat GLX V6 with severe oil consumption problem. I still have a 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro which is the early version of the VW*s 4Motion.
    The GSW is replacing a 2004 Passat GLS 4Motion 1.8T Wagon that we have gotten 85,000 mostly trouble-free miles out of. The old 1.8T really struggled with the weight of that 3,700 pound wagon, and it was the engine that had the sludge problem that forced VW to extend the powertrain to 10 years - although we had no problems with it. Other than that, it was an awesome car - with, in essence, an Audi engine, transmission, Torsen AWD, brakes...on a platform with a longer wheelbase than the A4 Avant they were selling at the time.

This new GSW - which is almost 400 pounds lighter and with almost 200 ft/lbs of torque - feels like a completely different animal...and the QC of these Puebla Golfs are pretty good.

(still hoping I can talk my wife into replacing our 2004 Sienna AWD with a CX-9)
    Last edited by bebopdeluxe; 11-04-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by bebopdeluxe View Post
    I did look at the Alltrack S - but the best deal I could find (based on less dealer inventory for Alltracks than GSW’s) was $23,800 OTD - and I couldn’t justify the extra $ for what was basically the same car from a structural perspective. The SE was significantly more - and I also did not want the sunroof (which seems to be an issue with the GSW/Alltrack).
    What is the issue with the sunroof on these cars? Do they leak? I've kinda' picked up on a little of that, but haven't really spent any time on VW forums.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    What is the issue with the sunroof on these cars? Do they leak? I've kinda' picked up on a little of that, but haven't really spent any time on VW forums.
    It should be the same old problem like my 2001.5 VW Passat. The interior of my Passat has got flooded at least 2 times until some owners on the Passat forum found the cause of the issue. I was lucky as my V6 Passat has a 5-speed manual, hence there's no transmission control module sitting on the floor under the front passenger seat, hence didn't need to spend money to replace the burn-out TCM due to flooding. VW dealer couldn't fix the problem at first, but later VWoA issued a TSB to cut the nipple at the end of each sunroof drain. Basically the problem is those 4 sunroof drains are too easy to get clogged.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    It should be the same old problem like my 2001.5 VW Passat. The interior of my Passat has got flooded at least 2 times until some owners on the Passat forum found the cause of the issue. I was lucky as my V6 Passat has a 5-speed manual, hence there's no transmission control module sitting on the floor under the front passenger seat, hence didn't need to spend money to replace the burn-out TCM due to flooding. VW dealer couldn't fix the problem at first, but later VWoA issued a TSB to cut the nipple at the end of each sunroof drain. Basically the problem is those 4 sunroof drains are too easy to get clogged.
    That's all well and good, but that was 16.5 years ago. I may or may not be in the market soon for a 2018 Sportswagen SE which comes with a panoramic sunroof (which I really don't want, but stepping down to the S would lose too much content) and I'd like some info on current issues with that component.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow CX-5 vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

That's all well and good, but that was 16.5 years ago. I may or may not be in the market soon for a 2018 Sportswagen SE which comes with a panoramic sunroof (which I really don't want, but stepping down to the S would lose too much content) and I'd like some info on current issues with that component.
    I believe the sunroof leak issue is still been complained on VW and several others from time to time. My brother's pano sunroof on his 2012 5 Series stationwagen is also suffering the leak issue and would find its battery sitting in the spare tire well surrounded by plenty of water!

I'm not interested panoramic sunroof either. But finding a 2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4MOTION with a 1.8T for $18,200 like bebopdeluxe did or a higher trim with similar deal seems to be a no brainer to you if you're considering a VW as one of your potential candidates for your next vehicle purchase. And 6-year / 72,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is excellent which is better than those European luxury brands such as BMW、Mercedes Benz、and Audi.

Registered Member

2004 Toyota Sienna LE AWD

To be honest, I did not dig a great deal into it - as I was focused on getting a GSW with 4MOTION, which is only offered on the S trim. From what I read, posters are postulating that it might have something to do with gaps left during the welding process. My sense is it is not an issue with all panos - there are people who post on the Golf VII Sportwagen forum at VW Vortex that have panos that are fine....but it could potentially be an issue.

Again, I did not care, because the cheapest version with AWD and a pano is the Alltrack SE - which was probably going to be at least $6,000-7,000 more than what I paid for my GSW.

Registered Member

14 Liquid GT awd / 09 Liquid NC2

I bought my son this and turned it into a fake R:

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Quote Originally Posted by bebopdeluxe View Post
    I got a 2018 Sportwagen with 4MOTION and the DSG transmission that is in the GTI for $18,200 ($20,100 OTD). I was tempted to buy a stick, but it will be said daughter*s car to drive in HS, and she gets distracted by a fly.
    Man! If I could have got anything resembling that deal on the manual GSW 4Motion I was looking at, I'd have been driving that right now instead of my Mazda 3. The GSW was coming in at $7k over the 3...just too much difference to justify.

Should have bought her the manual. If she gets distracted easy, a stick shift would have kept her attention on driving. Auto's just going to encourage her to do makeup, and play on her phone

Curious why you didn't get an Alltrack if AWD was a priority?
    Not enough content for what they're charging in my case. And frankly I'd rather due without the ground clearance and body cladding, especially when it saves me money to do so! lol

Especially in Canada where we get far all the options/packages available on GSW's. IMO, they should at the very least be offering the 2.0L version of the motor on the Alltrack's to justify that price. At least then there'd be sufficient motivation to move up.
    Last edited by J.R.; 11-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
    I bought my son this and turned it into a fake R
    Nice wheels! Needs a tint though.

Registered Member

14 Liquid GT awd / 09 Liquid NC2

Rare 18s

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, E84 valencia x1 sdrive msport

Mom (unfortunately)has an 06 jsw w/o sunroof and has been experiencing interior flooding of late..its not a bug its a feature! F vw and I will say that as many times as possible and probably do it subconsciously in my sleep for good measure. Lying cheating whorebags and they should all rot in hell! Bitter? Yep but they deserve all of it and more.
    Last edited by Monterra; 11-11-2018 at 01:22 AM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTMFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +nice house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Its got 4drs, I like it, fast enough and it still does donuts, e-steering won't let me love it

Registered Member

Well that's helpful.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234