CX5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

CX-5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

* For me, it was simply the case that the price/value was simply too ridiculous to ignore. Purchasing a car at $7,000 under INVOICE gets your attention. The 1.8T/DSG/4MOTION drivetrain in a car that - out the door - was $20K offset the bland styling.
Nothing wrong with that. I'll do the same even if I've given up the VW after getting 3 VW's before.

CX-5 vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

⋯ BTW, my understanding is that VW is not dropping the Golf wagon, but the 2019 will have the smaller 1.4 ltr turbo they currently use in the Jetta. I'll be in the market next year for a replacement for my 2013 CX-5 and the FWD Sportwagen is on my short list. However it would have to be a 2018 with the larger engine and I'm afraid they'll be out of them by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. That leaves me with either the next-gen Mazda 3, the Civic Sport hatch or the Hyundai Elantra GT Sport. Unless something else appears on the horizon. Still slim pickings for us 5 door hatch/small wagon fans!
If VW is going to drop old 1.8T and use 1.4T instead, I definitely would try to stay with 1.8T which has been on the market for 15 years from Audi. I may consider to get one right now if I can find a deal like OP did! :)

OK, thanks. I thought VW uses DSG for all of its vehicles in the US. Didn't know there's different version of DSG in a GTI.

The 4MOTION GSW and Alltracks have a 6-speed DSG - similar to the GTI. The Golf R has a 7-speed DSG.

The front-wheel drive GSW with automatic has a traditional 6 speed setup.

If VW is going to drop old 1.8T and use 1.4T instead, I definitely would try to stay with 1.8T which has been on the market for 15 years from Audi. I may consider to get one right now if I can find a deal like OP did! :)

I live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia - virtually no 2018 GSW*s in stock...and what they had weren*t being given away. On the other hand, there were a TON of GSW*s in the Maryland/Virginia area (perhaps because VAG*s North American HQ is in Virginia)...which is why I bought there. PM me if you want to know the dealer I used - they were great.

I live in the western suburbs of Philadelphia - virtually no 2018 GSW*s in stock...and what they had weren*t being given away. On the other hand, there were a TON of GSW*s in the Maryland/Virginia area (perhaps because VAG*s North American HQ is in Virginia)...which is why I bought there. PM me if you want to know the dealer I used - they were great.
Thanks for the explanation on VWs DSGs. I dont pay too much attention anymore to VW after a very disappointing purchase of my 2001.5 Passat GLX V6 with severe oil consumption problem. I still have a 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro which is the early version of the VWs 4Motion. :)

Thanks for the explanation on VW*s DSGs. I don*t pay too much attention anymore to VW after a very disappointing purchase of my 2001.5 Passat GLX V6 with severe oil consumption problem. I still have a 1987 VW Vanagon Syncro which is the early version of the VW*s 4Motion. :)

The GSW is replacing a 2004 Passat GLS 4Motion 1.8T Wagon that we have gotten 85,000 mostly trouble-free miles out of. The old 1.8T really struggled with the weight of that 3,700 pound wagon, and it was the engine that had the sludge problem that forced VW to extend the powertrain to 10 years - although we had no problems with it. Other than that, it was an awesome car - with, in essence, an Audi engine, transmission, Torsen AWD, brakes...on a platform with a longer wheelbase than the A4 Avant they were selling at the time.

This new GSW - which is almost 400 pounds lighter and with almost 200 ft/lbs of torque - feels like a completely different animal...and the QC of these Puebla Golfs are pretty good.

(still hoping I can talk my wife into replacing our 2004 Sienna AWD with a CX-9)

Last edited:
I did look at the Alltrack S - but the best deal I could find (based on less dealer inventory for Alltracks than GSWs) was $23,800 OTD - and I couldnt justify the extra $ for what was basically the same car from a structural perspective. The SE was significantly more - and I also did not want the sunroof (which seems to be an issue with the GSW/Alltrack).
What is the issue with the sunroof on these cars? Do they leak? I've kinda' picked up on a little of that, but haven't really spent any time on VW forums.

What is the issue with the sunroof on these cars? Do they leak? I've kinda' picked up on a little of that, but haven't really spent any time on VW forums.
It should be the same old problem like my 2001.5 VW Passat. The interior of my Passat has got flooded at least 2 times until some owners on the Passat forum found the cause of the issue. I was lucky as my V6 Passat has a 5-speed manual, hence there's no transmission control module sitting on the floor under the front passenger seat, hence didn't need to spend money to replace the burn-out TCM due to flooding. VW dealer couldn't fix the problem at first, but later VWoA issued a TSB to cut the nipple at the end of each sunroof drain. Basically the problem is those 4 sunroof drains are too easy to get clogged.

It should be the same old problem like my 2001.5 VW Passat. The interior of my Passat has got flooded at least 2 times until some owners on the Passat forum found the cause of the issue. I was lucky as my V6 Passat has a 5-speed manual, hence there's no transmission control module sitting on the floor under the front passenger seat, hence didn't need to spend money to replace the burn-out TCM due to flooding. VW dealer couldn't fix the problem at first, but later VWoA issued a TSB to cut the nipple at the end of each sunroof drain. Basically the problem is those 4 sunroof drains are too easy to get clogged.

That's all well and good, but that was 16.5 years ago. I may or may not be in the market soon for a 2018 Sportswagen SE which comes with a panoramic sunroof (which I really don't want, but stepping down to the S would lose too much content) and I'd like some info on current issues with that component.

That's all well and good, but that was 16.5 years ago. I may or may not be in the market soon for a 2018 Sportswagen SE which comes with a panoramic sunroof (which I really don't want, but stepping down to the S would lose too much content) and I'd like some info on current issues with that component.
I believe the sunroof leak issue is still been complained on VW and several others from time to time. My brother's pano sunroof on his 2012 5 Series stationwagen is also suffering the leak issue and would find its battery sitting in the spare tire well surrounded by plenty of water!

I'm not interested panoramic sunroof either. But finding a 2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4MOTION with a 1.8T for $18,200 like bebopdeluxe did or a higher trim with similar deal seems to be a no brainer to you if you're considering a VW as one of your potential candidates for your next vehicle purchase. And 6-year / 72,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty is excellent which is better than those European luxury brands such as BMW、Mercedes Benz、and Audi.

To be honest, I did not dig a great deal into it - as I was focused on getting a GSW with 4MOTION, which is only offered on the S trim. From what I read, posters are postulating that it might have something to do with gaps left during the welding process. My sense is it is not an issue with all panos - there are people who post on the Golf VII Sportwagen forum at VW Vortex that have panos that are fine....but it could potentially be an issue.

Again, I did not care, because the cheapest version with AWD and a pano is the Alltrack SE - which was probably going to be at least $6,000-7,000 more than what I paid for my GSW.

I bought my son this and turned it into a fake R:
Yy8zQ5q.jpg

I got a 2018 Sportwagen with 4MOTION and the DSG transmission that is in the GTI for $18,200 ($20,100 OTD). I was tempted to buy a stick, but it will be said daughter*s car to drive in HS, and she gets distracted by a fly.

Man! If I could have got anything resembling that deal on the manual GSW 4Motion I was looking at, I'd have been driving that right now instead of my Mazda 3. The GSW was coming in at $7k over the 3...just too much difference to justify.

Should have bought her the manual. If she gets distracted easy, a stick shift would have kept her attention on driving. Auto's just going to encourage her to do makeup, and play on her phone :p

Curious why you didn't get an Alltrack if AWD was a priority?

Not enough content for what they're charging in my case. And frankly I'd rather due without the ground clearance and body cladding, especially when it saves me money to do so! lol

Especially in Canada where we get far all the options/packages available on GSW's. IMO, they should at the very least be offering the 2.0L version of the motor on the Alltrack's to justify that price. At least then there'd be sufficient motivation to move up.

Last edited:
Mom (unfortunately)has an 06 jsw w/o sunroof and has been experiencing interior flooding of late..its not a bug its a feature! F vw and I will say that as many times as possible and probably do it subconsciously in my sleep for good measure. Lying cheating whorebags and they should all rot in hell! Bitter? Yep but they deserve all of it and more.

Last edited:
Back