CX5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

:
2018 3 Sport GT MANUAL
Having a hell of a time trying to decide on my next vehicle.

I love a LOT about how Mazda designs vehicles, they truly seem to 'get' me. My wife's 2017 3 Sport GT with a manual is an absolute joy to drive and I'm highly contemplating an MX5-RF for my future midlife crisis car.

But (like most manufacturers today), they frustratingly don't make available cars (in North America anyway) with a combination of features I frankly deem necessary. I need a hatch/wagon/CUV body style (sadly bigger than the 3), preferably with closer to 200+ HP and/or torque for light towing (but with good fuel economy for commuting) and a G.D. manual transmission.

Bonus points for AWD.

Now the potential CX5 diesel, when/if it gets here, certainly crosses a lot of those boxes. But I'm just not sure I'm willing to give up my manual transmission on a daily basis. As good as Mazda's auto's are, it just does not match the driving enjoyment of rowing your own.

Honestly, if they'd just bring the 6 wagon here with a manual, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Again, bonus points if it had a diesel and/or AWD. But even the next gen 6, while reportedly to be available with AWD, you will not be able to get with a stick (or with the 2.5T). And I'd be shocked if they make the wagon available at all.

Which brings me to the Golf SportWagen 4Motion. Now available in 2018 with AWD and a 6 speed manual. It has comparable power to the 2.5 gas motor in the CX5 (or 3 and 6), which is to say less power than I'd prefer, AWD and a bloody fine manual. If the CX5 diesel doesn't materialize, the Golf might be my next car. If it does....man have I got hard decisions to make.

But bloody hell is it frustrating how limited we are here on cars. It feels like hunting unicorns. If I lived in Germany I'd have 5-10 solid cars to choose from including a diesel, AWD, manual transmission 6 wagon.

Last edited:
^I hear you brother..and while I certainly see the allure of the 6MT AWD Golf Wagon largely for its existence alone (I hate VW clutches personally- shift action never wowed me either save the gen1 R32 I almost bought but that's another story).. Personally I would A) hold on maybe 6-9 months to see if diesel comes through (and my $ is that it will) but if not B) light used Gen1 or leftover 17 CX-5- as I'm not at all convinced this cylinder deact move is a good idea. I'm honestly still amazed at how fun the car can be when its asked to hustle particularly on some twisty roads as I did today- very placeable and precise for something 8.5 inches off the ground, great steering, handling and transmission- that I utilize semi-manual mode on way more than I would've imagined. I think dynamically the Mazda out-souls the capable but less playful (even with the manual imho) vw and will likely hold up better over time and offers much better (than terrible) support if things don't go as planned.

Just went on vw and at least for us for now you can only get the base model S w/AWD and a manual and while it is pretty budget friendly (which the CX5 diesel likely won't be) I'd easily go with the lightly used/leftover 16.5 or 17 CX-5 and get at least some modern creature comforts...the S highlights rearview camera system..so I'm guessing its pretty spartan inside, and zero options other than an auto trans were available.

Last edited:
And do you trust VW these days??? (spank)

^I hear you brother..and while I certainly see the allure of the 6MT AWD Golf Wagon (I hate VW clutches personally- shift action never wowed me either save the gen1 R32 I almost bought but that's another story).. Personally I would A) hold on maybe 6-9 months to see if diesel comes through (and my $ is that it will) but if not B) light used Gen1 or leftover 17 CX-5- as I'm not at all convinced this cylinder deact move is a good idea. I'm honestly still amazed at how fun the car can be when its asked to hustle particularly on some twisty roads as I did today- very placeable and precise for something 8.5 inches off the ground, great steering and transmission. I think dynamically the Mazda out-souls the capable but less playful (even with the manual imho) vw and will likely hold up better over time and offers much better (than terrible) support if things don't go as planned.

Just went on vw and at least for us for now you can only get the base model S w/AWD and a manual and while it is pretty budget friendly (which the CX5 diesel likely won't be) I'd easily go with the lightly used/leftover 16.5 or 17 CX-5 and get at least some modern creature comforts...the S highlights rearview camera system..really? and options other than an auto trans were available.

2018 GSW 4Motion, manual can be had in all trim levels in Canada FWIW ;)

Pretty much diesel or bust for me and Mazda short of them announcing a 2.5T, AWD, 6 wagon (with stick) as an alternative.

Maybe a 2019 3 if they announce a 2.5 'X' motor with more power (220+HP/lb-ft), the AWD they've been talking about AND still let us get a manual with it. But it's really smaller than I'd prefer. And that's really a longer wait than I was hoping for (if it comes at all).

That is pretty cool- all trim levels avail w/AWD & 6MT. VW used to give me pause now (post scandal) it would take a near miracle for me to financially or otherwise support anything they roll out but that's just me.

2.5T AWD 6MT 6 wagon- that would be sweet tits just take the $:)

I really hope that Mazda (let's be honest gov't regulators) gives us the chance to buy the CX-5 diesel- I think it would be at or very close to my perfect commute/everyday vehicle I really do. Having said that why are you taking CX5 gas options off the table?

Last edited:
Down here, the only SportWagen with AWD is the base model. If you want AWD with higher trim features, you need to go with the Alltrack instead. I prefer manual transmissions too, but they are becoming too rare for me to consider it a requirement.

I checked out the Alltrack and it's OK. It handles better than a CX-5, and has more low end torque. But I was hoping for a bit more power and rear seat space. And the fuel economy isn't all that great. And it's kind of expensive for what you get. Plus I'm a little weary of VW, because of the scandal and because our last VW was a shop queen.

Another option you might want to look at is the new Buick Regal TourX. It's a rebadge of the new Open Insignia wagon. It has AWD, 250 hp, and looks nice. No manual transmission though.

That is pretty cool- all trim levels avail w/AWD & 6MT. VW used to give me pause now (post scandal) it would take a near miracle for me to financially or otherwise support anything they roll out but that's just me.

2.5T AWD 6MT 6 wagon- that would be sweet tits just take the $:)

I really hope that Mazda (let's be honest gov't regulators) gives us the chance to buy the CX-5 diesel- I think it would be at or very close to my perfect commute/everyday vehicle I really do. Having said that why are you taking CX5 gas options off the table?

Not enough grunt for towing or a manual transmission. I'd be better off with the lighter (better power to weight) 3 Sport and still have my manual.

Down here, the only SportWagen with AWD is the base model. If you want AWD with higher trim features, you need to go with the Alltrack instead. I prefer manual transmissions too, but they are becoming too rare for me to consider it a requirement.

I checked out the Alltrack and it's OK. It handles better than a CX-5, and has more low end torque. But I was hoping for a bit more power and rear seat space. And the fuel economy isn't all that great. And it's kind of expensive for what you get. Plus I'm a little weary of VW, because of the scandal and because our last VW was a shop queen.

Another option you might want to look at is the new Buick Regal TourX. It's a rebadge of the new Open Insignia wagon. It has AWD, 250 hp, and looks nice. No manual transmission though.

Yeah no desire for the Alltrack. Worse handling AND more expensive! Where do I sign up?! ...lol

Don't know if I could bring myself to buy a GM product haha. They're even lower in my books than VW!

2009 / 2010 SAAB 9-3 Sportcombi Aero... OR 9-5 Sportcombi Aero

2011 / 2012 AUDI A4 Avant... OR A6 Avant

oh, wait, are you talking new? my bad... (drive2)

I am the current driver of a 2004 GTI w/the (AWP) 1.8t (think 180hp Audi TT FWD) and I have/am seriously considering replacing it w/a Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and a 6spd....why...because it is one of the few, if not ONLY wagon (like there are a lot out there) w/a manual.

I don't need the tarted up All Track and its .5" greater ground clearance over the regular Sportwagen. Granted VW screwed the pooch royally w/their diesel thing, but that doesn't mean they make bad cars; just bad decisions at the highest management levels. I am happy w/mine and know there is a healthy aftermarket to help me enjoy it more.

My goal for my next car is simple...
1)Manual
2)Hatch or Wagon, but willing to compromise for manual transmission
3)Cloth seats
4) Profit
5)Try to keep it under $30k

Candidates are:
- Golf Sportwagen S w/ and w/o 4 motion
- GTI S 4-door
- Mazda6 Touring (yes a sedan)
- Mazda3 Touring Hatch
- Honda Accord Sport 1.5t (yes a sedan)
- Honda Si 4-door (another sedan)
- Honda Fit EX

[see my sig]

Just to rub it in my last cx-5 was a manual awd diesel, but I much prefer my auto awd diesel, which I can use (and do) in manual if I want, and its a dam sight easier to change gear in manual with the auto than with the manual box .

Don't know if I could bring myself to buy a GM product haha. They're even lower in my books than VW!

It's built in Germany by Opel, who is part of Groupe PSA now, and then rebadged as a Buick.
So it's technically not a GM product. I don't know whether that makes you feel any better.
Still doesn't come with a manual though.

Eh pass on rav4..rated for 30 hwy..cx5 a million times over that. Chevy is a long shot as i might puke myself during ingress but if i don't and it gives me over 40 on the road I will consider it..as i will consider a v6 camaro over a twin.

Only 30? Wow. Not worth it for the hybrid unless you do all your driving in the city.

Only 30? Wow. Not worth it for the hybrid unless you do all your driving in the city.

My friend has a Hybrid Rav 4. Living in OR with 65 mph limit, he averages 34-36 on highway drives. Anything faster than that and the extra weight of the batteries/electric... drags down the mpg. Not bad, but my 2.0L manual does 40 mpg at 65.
I too am not very happy with our limited options in the states. I really did not want a suv/cuv. I wanted a wagon! but nobody makes a decent one. I'm seeing some great luxury wagons coming out, but I'm not buying an Audi/MB/BMW... And the VW's mpg/hp is very inefficient.
Good luck in your quest, if you can hold off bit longer, maybe the diesels will finally arrive.

2009 / 2010 SAAB 9-3 Sportcombi Aero... OR 9-5 Sportcombi Aero

2011 / 2012 AUDI A4 Avant... OR A6 Avant

oh, wait, are you talking new? my bad... (drive2)

I am the current driver of a 2004 GTI w/the (AWP) 1.8t (think 180hp Audi TT FWD) and I have/am seriously considering replacing it w/a Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and a 6spd....why...because it is one of the few, if not ONLY wagon (like there are a lot out there) w/a manual.

I don't need the tarted up All Track and its .5" greater ground clearance over the regular Sportwagen. Granted VW screwed the pooch royally w/their diesel thing, but that doesn't mean they make bad cars; just bad decisions at the highest management levels. I am happy w/mine and know there is a healthy aftermarket to help me enjoy it more.

My goal for my next car is simple...
1)Manual
2)Hatch or Wagon, but willing to compromise for manual transmission
3)Cloth seats
4) Profit
5)Try to keep it under $30k

Candidates are:
- Golf Sportwagen S w/ and w/o 4 motion
- GTI S 4-door
- Mazda6 Touring (yes a sedan)
- Mazda3 Touring Hatch
- Honda Accord Sport 1.5t (yes a sedan)
- Honda Si 4-door (another sedan)
- Honda Fit EX

[see my sig]

s5gv1.jpg

Just to rub it in my last cx-5 was a manual awd diesel, but I much prefer my auto awd diesel, which I can use (and do) in manual if I want, and its a dam sight easier to change gear in manual with the auto than with the manual box .

To the first part:

1950s-Middle-Finger.jpg

...and the second part:

x230x4jv7m201.png

It's built in Germany by Opel, who is part of Groupe PSA now, and then rebadged as a Buick.
So it's technically not a GM product. I don't know whether that makes you feel any better.
Still doesn't come with a manual though.

Fair enough. Won't hurt to have another option to cross-shop/haggle with but I'd wager the CX5 diesel will get better mileage, have more torque, be cheaper to buy and drive better. If I HAVE to buy an auto... it's probably going to be the CX5 diesel.

Maybe though, if Mazda sees Buick, VW, Subaru et al selling wagons and filling a niche, they'll see fit to make the 6 wagon available here too next generation. They are attempting to move up market to that entry level luxury segment after all (the same Buick thinks it can fill with it's AWD wagon) and it's FULL of wagons from the European companies... Exactly the cars that market demands.

I honestly think Mazda would do better to embrace their niche-ness in that regard. Be THE company frugal enthusiasts can turn to. By all means have models and equipment options to interest the more mainstream as well (automatic, gas CX5's for all!) but any combination of diesel, manual and wagon-ed vehicles would give them a market almost of their own.

I did (after the post) see that fuelly reports were 32-33 on Rav hybrid w/more than 50% hwy (so meeting/beating epa) vg but not enough to sway me, ditto anything with a CVT- no thanks. 0-60 is actually not bad but braking, handling appear compromised, also heavy:

CURB WEIGHT: 4003 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 8.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 23.7 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 31.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 8.3 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.1 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 5.3 sec
Standing -mile: 16.4 sec @ 86 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 114 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 181 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.76 g

Chevy is pretty damn slow, brakes suck too but that range is dead sexy. s*** guess I'm just getting old:)

CURB WEIGHT: 3769 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 9.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 30.8 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 44.5 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 9.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.7 sec
Standing -mile: 17.2 sec @ 80 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 121 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 182 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.77 g
*stability-control-inhibited

C/D FUEL ECONOMY:
Observed: 34 mpg
75-mph highway driving: 43 mpg
Highway range: 670 mi

Last edited:
My friend has a Hybrid Rav 4. Living in OR with 65 mph limit, he averages 34-36 on highway drives. Anything faster than that and the extra weight of the batteries/electric... drags down the mpg. Not bad, but my 2.0L manual does 40 mpg at 65.
I too am not very happy with our limited options in the states. I really did not want a suv/cuv. I wanted a wagon! but nobody makes a decent one. I'm seeing some great luxury wagons coming out, but I'm not buying an Audi/MB/BMW... And the VW's mpg/hp is very inefficient.
Good luck in your quest, if you can hold off bit longer, maybe the diesels will finally arrive.

Really - seeing all the quotes about 2.0L mpg - It might be a great buy in a few years to come. My 2nd car is a Camry and in city mixed driving, my CX5 beats it on FE. I wont hesitate to replace it with a 2.0L Touring. It has great space - will be slowish in city but that mpg and range of 350+ miles per tank woot !!

It is my impression that VW is a much "better" brand than Mazda, sharing the bed with Porsche, Audi, and others, rather than "Ford's sloppy seconds". It's going to retain value better, seem more up-class, have better features, etc.

I know everyone gonna jump up and defend Mazda, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Back