Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CX5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

CX5 Vs Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Having a hell of a time trying to decide on my next vehicle.

I love a LOT about how Mazda designs vehicles, they truly seem to 'get' me. My wife's 2017 3 Sport GT with a manual is an absolute joy to drive and I'm highly contemplating an MX5-RF for my future midlife crisis car.

But (like most manufacturers today), they frustratingly don't make available cars (in North America anyway) with a combination of features I frankly deem necessary. I need a hatch/wagon/CUV body style (sadly bigger than the 3), preferably with closer to 200+ HP and/or torque for light towing (but with good fuel economy for commuting) and a G.D. manual transmission.

Bonus points for AWD.

Now the potential CX5 diesel, when/if it gets here, certainly crosses a lot of those boxes. But I'm just not sure I'm willing to give up my manual transmission on a daily basis. As good as Mazda's auto's are, it just does not match the driving enjoyment of rowing your own.

Honestly, if they'd just bring the 6 wagon here with a manual, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Again, bonus points if it had a diesel and/or AWD. But even the next gen 6, while reportedly to be available with AWD, you will not be able to get with a stick (or with the 2.5T). And I'd be shocked if they make the wagon available at all.

Which brings me to the Golf SportWagen 4Motion. Now available in 2018 with AWD and a 6 speed manual. It has comparable power to the 2.5 gas motor in the CX5 (or 3 and 6), which is to say less power than I'd prefer, AWD and a bloody fine manual. If the CX5 diesel doesn't materialize, the Golf might be my next car. If it does....man have I got hard decisions to make.

But bloody hell is it frustrating how limited we are here on cars. It feels like hunting unicorns. If I lived in Germany I'd have 5-10 solid cars to choose from including a diesel, AWD, manual transmission 6 wagon.
    Last edited by J.R.; 12-14-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

^I hear you brother..and while I certainly see the allure of the 6MT AWD Golf Wagon largely for its existence alone (I hate VW clutches personally- shift action never wowed me either save the gen1 R32 I almost bought but that's another story).. Personally I would A) hold on maybe 6-9 months to see if diesel comes through (and my $ is that it will) but if not B) light used Gen1 or leftover 17 CX-5- as I'm not at all convinced this cylinder deact move is a good idea. I'm honestly still amazed at how fun the car can be when its asked to hustle particularly on some twisty roads as I did today- very placeable and precise for something 8.5 inches off the ground, great steering, handling and transmission- that I utilize semi-manual mode on way more than I would've imagined. I think dynamically the Mazda out-souls the capable but less playful (even with the manual imho) vw and will likely hold up better over time and offers much better (than terrible) support if things don't go as planned.

Just went on vw and at least for us for now you can only get the base model S w/AWD and a manual and while it is pretty budget friendly (which the CX5 diesel likely won't be) I'd easily go with the lightly used/leftover 16.5 or 17 CX-5 and get at least some modern creature comforts...the S highlights rearview camera system..so I'm guessing its pretty spartan inside, and zero options other than an auto trans were available.
    Last edited by Monterra; 12-14-2017 at 06:23 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +good house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast enough and still did donuts, e-steering wouldn't let me love it
    and then..?

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

And do you trust VW these days??? (spank)

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    ^I hear you brother..and while I certainly see the allure of the 6MT AWD Golf Wagon (I hate VW clutches personally- shift action never wowed me either save the gen1 R32 I almost bought but that's another story).. Personally I would A) hold on maybe 6-9 months to see if diesel comes through (and my $ is that it will) but if not B) light used Gen1 or leftover 17 CX-5- as I'm not at all convinced this cylinder deact move is a good idea. I'm honestly still amazed at how fun the car can be when its asked to hustle particularly on some twisty roads as I did today- very placeable and precise for something 8.5 inches off the ground, great steering and transmission. I think dynamically the Mazda out-souls the capable but less playful (even with the manual imho) vw and will likely hold up better over time and offers much better (than terrible) support if things don't go as planned.

Just went on vw and at least for us for now you can only get the base model S w/AWD and a manual and while it is pretty budget friendly (which the CX5 diesel likely won't be) I'd easily go with the lightly used/leftover 16.5 or 17 CX-5 and get at least some modern creature comforts...the S highlights rearview camera system..really? and options other than an auto trans were available.
    2018 GSW 4Motion, manual can be had in all trim levels in Canada FWIW

Pretty much diesel or bust for me and Mazda short of them announcing a 2.5T, AWD, 6 wagon (with stick) as an alternative.

Maybe a 2019 3 if they announce a 2.5 'X' motor with more power (220+HP/lb-ft), the AWD they've been talking about AND still let us get a manual with it. But it's really smaller than I'd prefer. And that's really a longer wait than I was hoping for (if it comes at all).

Registered Member

That is pretty cool- all trim levels avail w/AWD & 6MT. VW used to give me pause now (post scandal) it would take a near miracle for me to financially or otherwise support anything they roll out but that's just me.

2.5T AWD 6MT 6 wagon- that would be sweet tits just take the $

I really hope that Mazda (let's be honest gov't regulators) gives us the chance to buy the CX-5 diesel- I think it would be at or very close to my perfect commute/everyday vehicle I really do. Having said that why are you taking CX5 gas options off the table?
    Last edited by Monterra; 12-14-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited

Down here, the only SportWagen with AWD is the base model. If you want AWD with higher trim features, you need to go with the Alltrack instead. I prefer manual transmissions too, but they are becoming too rare for me to consider it a requirement.

I checked out the Alltrack and it's OK. It handles better than a CX-5, and has more low end torque. But I was hoping for a bit more power and rear seat space. And the fuel economy isn't all that great. And it's kind of expensive for what you get. Plus I'm a little weary of VW, because of the scandal and because our last VW was a shop queen.

Another option you might want to look at is the new Buick Regal TourX. It's a rebadge of the new Open Insignia wagon. It has AWD, 250 hp, and looks nice. No manual transmission though.

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

That is pretty cool- all trim levels avail w/AWD & 6MT. VW used to give me pause now (post scandal) it would take a near miracle for me to financially or otherwise support anything they roll out but that's just me.

2.5T AWD 6MT 6 wagon- that would be sweet tits just take the $

I really hope that Mazda (let's be honest gov't regulators) gives us the chance to buy the CX-5 diesel- I think it would be at or very close to my perfect commute/everyday vehicle I really do. Having said that why are you taking CX5 gas options off the table?
    Not enough grunt for towing or a manual transmission. I'd be better off with the lighter (better power to weight) 3 Sport and still have my manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
    Down here, the only SportWagen with AWD is the base model. If you want AWD with higher trim features, you need to go with the Alltrack instead. I prefer manual transmissions too, but they are becoming too rare for me to consider it a requirement.

I checked out the Alltrack and it's OK. It handles better than a CX-5, and has more low end torque. But I was hoping for a bit more power and rear seat space. And the fuel economy isn't all that great. And it's kind of expensive for what you get. Plus I'm a little weary of VW, because of the scandal and because our last VW was a shop queen.

Another option you might want to look at is the new Buick Regal TourX. It's a rebadge of the new Open Insignia wagon. It has AWD, 250 hp, and looks nice. No manual transmission though.

Yeah no desire for the Alltrack. Worse handling AND more expensive! Where do I sign up?! ...lol

Don't know if I could bring myself to buy a GM product haha. They're even lower in my books than VW!

Registered Member

Well..maybe this? If the CX-5d doesn't materialize I think this could be an option for me (could):
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...wd-test-review
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Suzuki SX4

Well..maybe this? If the CX-5d doesn't materialize I think this could be an option for me (could):
    No manual, poor driving dynamics, slow, GM product...

'16 CPO Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

2009 / 2010 SAAB 9-3 Sportcombi Aero... OR 9-5 Sportcombi Aero

2011 / 2012 AUDI A4 Avant... OR A6 Avant

oh, wait, are you talking new? my bad...

I am the current driver of a 2004 GTI w/the (AWP) 1.8t (think 180hp Audi TT FWD) and I have/am seriously considering replacing it w/a Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and a 6spd....why...because it is one of the few, if not ONLY wagon (like there are a lot out there) w/a manual.

I don't need the tarted up All Track and its .5" greater ground clearance over the regular Sportwagen. Granted VW screwed the pooch royally w/their diesel thing, but that doesn't mean they make bad cars; just bad decisions at the highest management levels. I am happy w/mine and know there is a healthy aftermarket to help me enjoy it more.

My goal for my next car is simple...
    1)Manual
    2)Hatch or Wagon, but willing to compromise for manual transmission
    3)Cloth seats
    4) Profit
    5)Try to keep it under $30k

Candidates are:
    - Golf Sportwagen S w/ and w/o 4 motion
    - GTI S 4-door
    - Mazda6 Touring (yes a sedan)
    - Mazda3 Touring Hatch
    - Honda Accord Sport 1.5t (yes a sedan)
    - Honda Si 4-door (another sedan)
    - Honda Fit EX

[see my sig]
    #savethemanuals _ #savethewagons _ #savethemanualwagons
    _
    MazdaUSA - Please bring the '6wagon to the US (with a manual option)
    _
    Go Frogs!!!

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

Just to rub it in my last cx-5 was a manual awd diesel, but I much prefer my auto awd diesel, which I can use (and do) in manual if I want, and its a dam sight easier to change gear in manual with the auto than with the manual box .

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
    Don't know if I could bring myself to buy a GM product haha. They're even lower in my books than VW!
    It's built in Germany by Opel, who is part of Groupe PSA now, and then rebadged as a Buick.
    So it's technically not a GM product. I don't know whether that makes you feel any better.
    Still doesn't come with a manual though.

I checked that one out as well. It's boring to drive, I didn't like the interior, and it's really slow when you floor it to pass someone. And the price premium for the diesel is too much. Those who want to sip fuel can get a RAV4 hybrid for less.

Registered Member

Eh pass on rav4..rated for 30 hwy..cx5 a million times over that. Chevy is a long shot as i might puke myself during ingress but if i don't and it gives me over 40 on the road I will consider it..as i will consider a v6 camaro over a twin.

Only 30? Wow. Not worth it for the hybrid unless you do all your driving in the city.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast