CX-5 back seat legroom

Anyone else picture GoFrogs drinking a giant cup of coffee while typing that? LOL.
The Kia Soul? You're nuts! I briefly had a thought of looking at that car and then looked in my co-workers "hatch". [emoji39][emoji33] NO...
(Also disagree on Renegade)
Cherokee was my number 2. So glad I didn't get that. MIL got one and had brake issues at 10K.

Last edited:
Kia Soul/Toyota Rukus (Scion XB for you guys) were initially targeted to young buyers for their supposed funkiness. In reality, older people (pensioners) were the biggest buyers here because of the ease entering/exiting the vehicle and great headroom

The CX-5 targets all types of buyers :D

Kia Soul/Toyota Rukus (Scion XB for you guys) were initially targeted to young buyers for their supposed funkiness. In reality, older people (pensioners) were the biggest buyers here because of the ease entering/exiting the vehicle and great headroom

The CX-5 targets all types of buyers :D

Yeah, that's why my mom has a Chevy HHR.

The CX-5 has more legroom than my current 6

Current 6 sedan: 984mm
Current CX-5: 1006mm

So should be good for me

Last edited:
Anyone else picture GoFrogs drinking a giant cup of coffee while typing that? LOL.

Well, coffee is all natural and made with water. I have a minimum of 20oz a day. (coffee) (cheers)

The Kia Soul? You're nuts! I briefly had a thought of looking at that car and then looked in my co-workers "hatch". [emoji39][emoji33] NO...
(Also disagree on Renegade) Cherokee was my number 2. So glad I didn't get that. MIL got one and had brake issues at 10K.

Our goal on our car was to keep the price below $24-25k. That is hard to do in this current car market. We were not going to lease (been burned once - reason why Toyota was not on the list). It was going to be the Wife's and see needed a vehicle that could carry a kid (4 at the time), be comfortable to ingress/egress, good on gas, safe, carry stuffs, have a CD player and could be had w/cloth seats.

She was stepping out of an '04 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD (3.5 V6, xfer case, pwr do-dads, but cloth seats.) The PF was virtually unstoppable, but we were tired of only going 260 miles on a 17 gal tank. It got 13-20mpg depending on time of year and avg'd 15-17 most times (it was rated 14City / 18Hwy).

Most of our test drives were in base models or near base models w/no options. The KIA Soul+ was one of the VERY few cars that DID NOT have a CVT and still had good safety ratings and drove well and didn't break the bank. The OP did not put a price stipulation down, so why not... We passed on the Jeeps due to safety aspects and on reliability ones too; plus our dollar did not go as far in the Jeeps as it did in other vehicles. Also, have you seen how any Souls are out there (Gen 1 and 2). It is KIAs top selling vehicle. Sure, most might be base models as those can be had for under $18k and offer a lot of car for the dollar (same price as a Honda Fit LX/EX w/CVT).

The Soul+ was an easy car to live with. Everything was w/in reach and in the right place; although the turn signal indicators are at the bottom of the instrument cluster. It was just good all around. I cannot speak for winter performance and it was the only car we tested that could not come with AWD. It was zippy enough with the 162hp 2L and 6spd auto. We thought it would make a good city, run about car...but then I checked the Mazda dealer one last time and they had a CPO CX-5 Touring AWD (no options) in our price range.

Test drove it twice and bought it. it just felt the best out of everything we drove and felt we could deal with some of the things that were not as good as the competition. Driving feel goes a long way. We thought the infotainment was a bit clunky at first, but it was just different. Now that we have had it for about 7 months, it has become old habit. We still don't use all its features and since ours did not come w/NAV, we don't have that to worry about.

KIA Soul. Good daily runabout. Affordable base model, good features on the mid-priced trim (+ Plus); turbo and lots of bells/whistles on the top trim (! Exclaim). And it comes in different, fun colors. Bonus >>> At Halloween, one could dress up as the Hamsters and be ok w/it.

(burnout)

Last edited:
I had an appointment to test drive the CX5 yesterday and the dealer here in San Luis Potosi, MX sold it. We then decided to visit Honda and check out the CRV Touring. I know that the Honda CRV is not in your list but when I sat inside. It was really roomy and had a lot of storage compartments. There was also a lot of backseat leg room. Just my opinion to check it out.

Storage compartments? That's a selling point? Can't say I need anymore storage.
Test drive a CX-5 before you buy the storage laden CR-V gadgetman.

Try taking the car seat and baby to the dealer and going through the motions. Should give a good idea of how things might go.. and you can factor that into your decision. We have a 5 month old in the CX5 and it's enough room with a rear facing car seat behind driver (5'8"). As an overall package, the CX5 is hard to beat. We also looked into the CRV and Forester.

Try taking the car seat and baby to the dealer and going through the motions. Should give a good idea of how things might go.. and you can factor that into your decision. We have a 5 month old in the CX5 and it's enough room with a rear facing car seat behind driver (5'8"). As an overall package, the CX5 is hard to beat. We also looked into the CRV and Forester.

Thank you all guys for the feedback. I'll definitely go to the dealer at some point to check everything out. Now that the 2018 models are arriving I may look into a good CPO deal on a 2017 model. The CRV is out of the question for me, I think it's ugly as hell out and inside, and like I said before I really like the Crosstrek...interestingly, I will say that around here 90 to 95 % of the people who drive Subarus are middle age or old people, including the Crosstrek which is actually more marketed towards younger folks.

Thank you all guys for the feedback. I'll definitely go to the dealer at some point to check everything out. Now that the 2018 models are arriving I may look into a good CPO deal on a 2017 model. The CRV is out of the question for me, I think it's ugly as hell out and inside, and like I said before I really like the Crosstrek...interestingly, I will say that around here 90 to 95 % of the people who drive Subarus are middle age or old people, including the Crosstrek which is actually more marketed towards younger folks.

I drove a Crosstrek, Too under powered for me, no get-up and go.

I have an update guys. I just bought a couple of days ago a 2017 CX-5 Touring. I went to the dealer I wanted and test drove a CPO 2016 Grand Touring CX-5 and the 2017 CX-5 Touring. This was my take: I think Mazda did a great job with this new generation, I was going ready to buy the 2016 model but once I tried both there was no contest. First, the 2017 model is a lot quieter, I think that the 2016 Cx5 was even louder than my 2017 Mazda 3 that I traded in. There are a lot more soft touch surfaces on the 2017 Touring than the 2016 GT, its just way more refined. The LEDs are excellent on both. I dont know if its just me but the screen on the 17 model seems to be of much better quality than the 16, it looks like it has better resolution and much better and punchier colors, the 17 screen though has a lot of wasted screen real state on both sides, huge bezels. Now, our next car is definitely going to be another 3, cause this CUVs dont even come close to having the handling and road connection that I felt with my 3. I really loved the way that car drive. So this one will probably be the wifes car, after I get another 3. Finally, back seat legroom was just perfect, now we have a much better space for the baby in the back seat.

I have an update guys. I just bought a couple of days ago a 2017 CX-5 Touring. I went to the dealer I wanted and test drove a CPO 2016 Grand Touring CX-5 and the 2017 CX-5 Touring. This was my take: I think Mazda did a great job with this new generation, I was going ready to buy the 2016 model but once I tried both there was no contest. First, the 2017 model is a lot quieter, I think that the 2016 Cx5 was even louder than my 2017 Mazda 3 that I traded in. There are a lot more soft touch surfaces on the 2017 Touring than the 2016 GT, it’s just way more refined. The LEDs are excellent on both. I don’t know if it’s just me but the screen on the 17 model seems to be of much better quality than the 16, it looks like it has better resolution and much better and punchier colors, the 17 screen though has a lot of wasted screen real state on both sides, huge bezels. Now, our next car is definitely going to be another 3, cause this CUVs don’t even come close to having the handling and road connection that I felt with my 3. I really loved the way that car drive. So this one will probably be the wife’s car, after I get another 3. Finally, back seat legroom was just perfect, now we have a much better space for the baby in the back seat.

Congratulations!

Regarding the screen, the CX-5 is the first Mazda to adopt a screen that uses optical bonding to join the LCD and touch panel, cutting down reflection in bright sunlight. Hence it appears better

Why didn't you just keep the 3 and add the CX-5??? Unless you're considering waiting 8 months for the next gen 3.

Why didn't you just keep the 3 and add the CX-5??? Unless you're considering waiting 8 months for the next gen 3.

My wife is staying home taking care of our newborn and is going to be like that for a little while. So there was really no need to have 2 cars now.

Back