The AWD thread

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
For us Northern Hemispherians.
A lot of pairs in different threads about AWD. How about a dedicated thread?
Do you love it? Do you not?

Sitting at the coffee shop right now. We got hammered yesterday and overnight by Winter Storm Chloe.
I can't believe we name Winter storms now.
Anyway... Got up a little early today. Woke the kid up. Made him breakfast. Went out and dusted off 6 inches of snow on my car.
We left 15 minutes early to get to school.
Ha. Took me like 3 minutes longer. After I drop him off I start hitting a few side streets on my way to the coffee shop...because I have time to kill now since I got up early. LOL
I'm aiming for stretches of road that are untouched. The CX-5 just plows right through like a happy dog. "What next buddy?" Wag. Wag.
The AWD on this thing is no joke. I feel like I'm driving a tall snowmobile....

There are minor situations where I would require AWD base on my usage in this side of the planet but I'm still a happy camper. Never had anymore problems with approaching angled inclines.

DISCLAIMER:
I didn't choose AWD because of those angled inclines (let me make that clear [emoji4] ).

However aren't you again opening a can of worms here? [emoji16] There's this regular poster here in this forum who thinks AWD is useless and is more prone to accidents. [emoji847]

I'm aiming for stretches of road that are untouched. The CX-5 just plows right through like a happy dog. "What next buddy?" Wag. Wag.
The AWD on this thing is no joke. I feel like I'm driving a tall snowmobile....

Fully agree. Been very impressed and satisfied with the CX-5 AWD system.

Damn, I guess I'm not welcome in this thread what with my FWD CX-5. LOL just kidding. I think AWD is the way to go if you have the budget for it. I would have gotten an AWD CX-5 but mistakenly decided on just getting a FWD CX-5. You don't really need AWD here in Texas, it is more of a "want" as far as driving feel and performance goes. Our next CX-5 will definitely be AWD though.

If i lived in texas id save the $ and the fuel with the fwd..eh no i wouldn't Id buy out my rwd x1 and compliment that with another rwd sports car:)
They don't call it fail wheel drive for nothing...relax im mostly kidding

If i lived in texas id save the $ and the fuel with the fwd..eh no i wouldn't Id buy out my rwd x1 and compliment that with another rwd sports car:)
They don't call it fail wheel drive for nothing...relax im mostly kidding
For me, the mpg gains for the FWD model are not significant enough over the AWD model, that I feel like I'm missing out on the fun of AWD. (Again, for Texas, I see AWD as just a want not a need.) Now if I was getting 29+ combined mpg on my FWD CX-5 like Kaps does, then that would slightly change my opinion on it.

Color me impressed. I just backed into my driveway. My unshoveled sloped driveway. Zero hesitation. My snow blower may not get used much this winter. [emoji41]

Can't speak for Mazda's AWD but my SX4 loves snow, even with just all seasons.

Yes I have to leave lots of space for stopping etc (as you should anyway in the snow) without snow tires but otherwise no snow bank has yet to stop it.

Went through 2 snowstorms this week, more than all last winter by the way, with snow tires on. Was like driving on dry blacktop. No slipping, no spinning, no sliding. Had FWD in the past with snows on, AWD is way superior. I actually looked forward to making the 25 mile trek to work.

Last edited:
Love CX-5 AWD in snow. Frankly, I am looking forward to getting some serious snow just to drive in it.

For 25K car, its AWD is just great.

Yeah, when I lived up north. I did not notice the AWD at all and drove in the rain and snow without much thought. My AWD manual Outback with snow tires was still the best but the CX-5 was not far behind.

for me, I'll 99.99% be getting an AWD version not because I need it in sunny SoCal but because I'm just not a big fan of FWD cars and having driving an X3 for the last few years, I've just gotten used to AWD and prefer the handling characteristics.
Happy to hear some of you are putting the AWD to use in the snow and having great results. The local mountains are less than an hour away from me and I'll probably be making the occasional trip there in my unicorn 2018 Diesel AWD CX-5. (if it ever freaking gets here. **glares at Mazda** )

The local mountains are less than an hour away from me and I'll probably be making the occasional trip there in my unicorn 2018 Diesel AWD CX-5. (if it ever freaking gets here. **glares at Mazda** )

Should probably be glaring at the EPA/CARB FWIW...lol

Edit: And maybe VW as well...lol

Last edited:
for me, I'll 99.99% be getting an AWD version not because I need it in sunny SoCal but because I'm just not a big fan of FWD cars and having driving an X3 for the last few years, I've just gotten used to AWD and prefer the handling characteristics.
Happy to hear some of you are putting the AWD to use in the snow and having great results. The local mountains are less than an hour away from me and I'll probably be making the occasional trip there in my unicorn 2018 Diesel AWD CX-5. (if it ever freaking gets here. **glares at Mazda** )

I get to drive my parents FWD CX-5 back to back with my own AWD CX-5 often. I have to adjust my driving style for the limited traction in the FWD, and I can say it makes a discernable difference to me. This is my 2nd AWD, I will be continuing to seek out AWD over 2wd vehicles. While it does cost more in tire longevity, maintenance, and fuel, I appreciate and utilize the enhanced characteristics.

A CX-5 with winter tyres is virtually unstoppable in the snow unless the snow is so deep as to beach it.

They really have astonishing capabilities for a “soft roader”.

I get to drive my parents FWD CX-5 back to back with my own AWD CX-5 often. I have to adjust my driving style for the limited traction in the FWD, and I can say it makes a discernable difference to me. This is my 2nd AWD, I will be continuing to seek out AWD over 2wd vehicles. While it does cost more in tire longevity, maintenance, and fuel, I appreciate and utilize the enhanced characteristics.

As (yet) another Californian, I wasn't going to get AWD on my 2017 Touring, but am really glad I did. No snow here, but I live on a very steep, curving concrete driveway, and on rainy days, every car seems to spin out on it unless you crawl. But my CX-5 is like a tank -- no matter how wet or slippery with leaves the surface, no matter how fast I accelerate or don't, this thing never slips or slides. It's amazingly reassuring. I'm sure it's at work on the surface streets too, but just unnoticeable. But on the driveway, it's an open-and-shut case for AWD.

No need for AWD in Texas, I might still be tempted to get a 2.0L AWD CX5 in low or mid trim as my 2nd car replacing the Jhamry. I am willing to take a hit on FE for depreciated AWD CX5 :)

Back