The AWD thread

Good to hear. Being able to get around when the weather is sloppy is a testament to the car and the system.
4th bad storm I've driven through this year and it never fails to impress me..

Local bar here is doing a Queen of Hearts drawing. Been running for weeks. Prize was up to 3.7 million and still wasn't won. Should be over 4.5 this week. It's about 2 miles from me, if that. I've tried several times to get tickets. There's always so many people in line I never want to wait when I drive by. We got a good snowstorm last night. They only sell tickets from 2100 to 2400. So I figured last night was my chance in the middle of this bad storm. Yep, just another drive. Thing is a freaking snowmobile. I'm very glad I got the AWD + snows. There was hardly anyone there.
If I stop posting next week for awhile, you'll know why. [emoji41]

Local bar here is doing a Queen of Hearts drawing. Been running for weeks. Prize was up to 3.7 million and still wasn't won. Should be over 4.5 this week. It's about 2 miles from me, if that. I've tried several times to get tickets. There's always so many people in line I never want to wait when I drive by. We got a good snowstorm last night. They only sell tickets from 2100 to 2400. So I figured last night was my chance in the middle of this bad storm. Yep, just another drive. Thing is a freaking snowmobile. I'm very glad I got the AWD + snows. There was hardly anyone there.
If I stop posting next week for awhile, you'll know why. [emoji41]

Almost makes you want to feel guilty going joy riding in this bad weather when all the experts are saying you should stay home. Almost.....

Awesome. Hope they work well for ya! Will be curious to know what you end up thinking about them.

Thanks. The 10 day forecast is boring, so ill likely be waiting another week or so to put them on. Few hundred miles more out of these lx20s! They are fine in dry, so why not.

Thanks. The 10 day forecast is boring, so ill likely be waiting another week or so to put them on. Few hundred miles more out of these lx20s! They are fine in dry, so why not.
Ha! we're looking at another potential storm brewing for Wednesday. My AWD is really getting a workout this year.

Is the currrent AWD on the CX5 a full time system or do you engage when you want to? Never owned one so just asking.

Is the currrent AWD on the CX5 a full time system or do you engage when you want to? Never owned one so just asking.

It does it's own thing and it does it very well, you don't have to even think about it...

It's been getting nothing but praise on this form from owners (like me). It's really good.

It does it's own thing and it does it very well, you don't have to even think about it...

Yeah, I would agree with this. I never notice any issue with the lack of traction or anything. It allows you to just drive like normal.

Bringing back a dated thread but has anyone come across anyone mentioning any mods that allow for full clutch pack engagement of the rear on demand?

Similar to how some makes say AWD lock.. not really a lock since most lack a transfer case but even power distribution front and rear.

Thinking of times of not having to wind up drivetrain speed to get traction/torque transfer to occur to rear.

Bringing back a dated thread but has anyone come across anyone mentioning any mods that allow for full clutch pack engagement of the rear on demand?

Similar to how some makes say AWD lock.. not really a lock since most lack a transfer case but even power distribution front and rear.

Thinking of times of not having to wind up drivetrain speed to get traction/torque transfer to occur to rear.
I suppose you could rig up a power supply to the control solenoid but Mazda wouldn’t approve of it because they use the breakaway torque to limit the load on that diff. Overload it at your peril. They are expensive!

I was looking back about one of your older posts about the RAV4 having the lock option... and since CX-5 hardware was similar it might be a possibility

I was looking back about one of your older posts about the RAV4 having the lock option... and since CX-5 hardware was similar it might be a possibility

They’ve recently re mapped the ABS to be more sensitive to a spinning wheel with the addition of an “off road” switch. This guy reckons it’s effective.

They’ve recently re mapped the ABS to be more sensitive to a spinning wheel with the addition of an “off road” switch. This guy reckons it’s effective.

According to this, the off road feature can be activated by simply turning off traction control (TCS) : What’s the Diff? Mazda CX-5 Unlocks ‘Secret’ Off-Road Mode | Inside Mazda

The last two posts beg a question: Is the new Trail Mode setting doing the same thing as TCS deactivation, making the secret "Easter egg" explicit? How the two function sound remarkably similar.

Back