Grand Touring Tank Capacity

Thank you for an informed, informative reply, Anchorman.

I have heard that running your fuel tank dry is a bad thing. I can't remember why, damages the fuel pump or something. Anybody know if the Mazda will suffer from this?

I can't speak for the CX-5 but some vehicles have the fuel pump inside of the fuel tank. The pump is cooled by being immersed in fuel (my motorcycle is such) and if you run it dry bad things may happen.

You guys are not vehicle engineers I’m thinking. If you were you’d know it’s impossible to run a fuel pump dry or otherwise there would be cars exploding all over the place. Any 12v DC motor has brushes in it (unless it’s one of the newer brushless designs which they aren’t) and to put one inside a tank with fuel vapour would have an obvious outcome. A modern submersed fuel pump is completely encased in a plastic housing with the windings at the bottom. The fuel pickup is above so even if the tank runs dry, the brushes of the motor stay submerged. You cannot run the motor dry. Furthermore, the op is talking about a new car that is highly unlikely to have any debris in it and and even then, the CX—5 has two filters - a course and a fine, all in the self contained pump housing. Even further, the tank is made from plastic so the chances of internal corrosion doesn’t exist. The only chance of getting debris in the tank comes from elsewhere so the big fuel stations are the safest place to buy from as they have a high turnover of clean fuel and backstreet garages or people dispensing fuel out of jerry cans are the prime candidates.

The net result is that you cannot damage a pump by running out of fuel which is just as well as there are an alarming amount of people that do it regularly.

Thank you for this! Very informative and taught me something today. (thumb)

Back