2018 Consumer Reports Reliability: Spoiler Mazda #12

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Just ran into an old post in CX-9 forum and found the latest Consumer Reports Car Brands Reliability ranking. Unforyunatrly Mazdas reliability keeps dropping now its #12 dropped 6 spots from 2016! The brand reliability now is behind Honda、Hyundai、Nissan, the only one worse than Mazda among all Asian brands is Acura! I personally dont read too much into CR since they faked roll-over reports on Suzuki Samurai and Isuzu Trooper, but their reliability data is still the best collected from thousands of vehicle owners since 1960s. This also coincides my feeling on Mazdas quality and reliability during my almost 3 years of ownership on our 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD. Im gradually losing confidence on our CX-5s longevity after many things in our CX-5 started falling apart. Before anyone jumping into conclusion that CR is not trustworthy on reliability data, in 2015 when we purchased our CX-5, the salesman proudly showed me the reliability ranking from CR, at that time Mazda was #4! And that was part of reason we made the purchase, and kept recommending it to friends and family.

Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up

Ranking the brands and showing their most and least reliable cars

attachment.php

0C856AF5-9F7E-4092-8EA5-47717C935CB4.png

2106 CR Reliability: Spoiler Mazda #6
here is the article:
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Mazda did okay although it dropped two spots from last year (#4)....still being in the same category as the "More Reliable" brands says something.

Wow look at Toyota, they certainly know how to build a car. Subaru is legit as well. No wonder they lead the pack in residual values year after year. A little surprised to see BMW and Audi as high as they are.

BTW it's just a matter of time before you're labeled a 'troll' for posting this.

Yep not fake news but its definitely not new:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVTmjoBWXeFPrRjyiNw6YfLSJm5ugZCCH

That overall drop for Mazda was largely attributed to the CX-9 and when you only have 7 cars in the portfolio and 1 of them does bad that's what happens.

I'll take a CX-5 (or 9) over a BMW or Audi anything all day long 3,5,7 years down the road with exponential conviction respectively.

Last edited:
I just signed a purchase order for the 2018 X3 xDrive 30i. Nice to see “my” brand is so high.

Im curious are you actually making money by buying and selling cars in couple years or you just have a big wallet from you day job that you can afford the losses... I was drooling over to fancy the chances of getting a 2018 BMW x3 M40i but the timing and price simply put me beyond reach

That overall drop for Mazda was largely attributed to the CX-9 and when you only have 7 cars in the portfolio and 1 of them does bad that's what happens.

I'll take a CX-5 over a BMW or Audi anything all day long 3,5,7 years down the road with exponential conviction respectively.
Mazda currently has 6 models, but theyre plenty of car brands having less than or equal to 6 in the chart. Mazda ranked #4 just 3 years ago, now dropped to #12. I think the trend on Mazdas reliability is bothering me as its going to wrong direction, and fast! If you really want a most reliable Mazda, thats Mazda3, not CX-5.

I, quite frankly, don't put too much stock in such broad category ratings. Having recently done a lot of comparing and research before buying our CX-5, I came away with the impression that such rankings are generally biased and skewed from the start. Several of the comparisons I looked at had nothing but great things to say about Mazda and objectively put it ahead of other cars but in the end gave the advantage to another car without really justifying it. In the end we determined that We were sticking with Mazda because it was the best vehicle option for us. I suppose you can also look at from the standpoint that there sure are a lot of big names BELOW Mazda on that list. Imagine how their fans feel?

Im curious are you actually making money by buying and selling cars in couple years or you just have a big wallet from you day job that you can afford the losses... I was drooling over to fancy the chances of getting a 2018 BMW x3 M40i but the timing and price simply put me beyond reach

I’m in a good position to do so. This is it [emoji23]nothing lasts forever. I’m moving back to the US in the next 18 months and pick up a new mortgage once our house finishes being built. The paycut and income taxes will greatly impact my car “thing,” so I have to get this right. The M40i was just beyond what I wanted to pay. The M4 was a bucket list thing and I can’t see myself NOT getting into trouble back in the states with it. It just BEGS to be driven hard. Plus in the long term, the M4 will just get more expensive, once that warranty expires (which isn’t honored here in Germany).

Same ol' CR sheeit.It's a broad characterization and I can't see how the CX-5 contributes much to the drop.If you follow CR's ratings from year to year you'll notice that Toyota and Subaru are continually at or near top.Wonder what the ratings will look like when models with newly introduced cvt transmissions and the increasing electronic safety/nanny systems get some age on them.This doesn't make me want to sell my cx-5.

If you follow CR's ratings from year to year you'll notice that Toyota and Subaru are continually at or near top.Wonder what the ratings will look like when models with newly introduced cvt transmissions and the increasing electronic safety/nanny systems get some age on them.This doesn't make me want to sell my cx-5.

Maybe they're always at the top because they produce the most reliable vehicles? And they'll still be at the top with CVTs/safety systems.

Same ol' CR sheeit.It's a broad characterization and I can't see how the CX-5 contributes much to the drop.If you follow CR's ratings from year to year you'll notice that Toyota and Subaru are continually at or near top.Wonder what the ratings will look like when models with newly introduced cvt transmissions and the increasing electronic safety/nanny systems get some age on them.This doesn't make me want to sell my cx-5.
Lexus and Toyota may always be at the top of CRs reliability ranking, but Subaru was #11 in 2016 and now #6 moved up 5 spots.

No need to sell our CX-5 immediately. I just hope Mr. Masamichi Kogai would take a note on Mazdas reliability ranking which has been dropping from #4 to #12 in 3 short years. The same on IIHS and NHTSA safety ratings. Mr. Masamichi Kogai has a lot of work to do right now.

Corporate conservatism, testing the hell of things before rolling them out and obviously tight mfg tolerances..that's why Toyota and Lexus are generally boring and also generally excellent in terms of holding up over time..strong resale values bear that out.

Last edited:
Honestly, I know what Toyota Tacoma pickup is, but I didn’t know what the Toyota “86” is until I googled it. ;)

Whoa there don't dis the twins! Helps when little to nothing has changed on them in what 5 years now, but you know what they're great as is..simple, pure, fun. If you need a built in supercomputer look elsewhere.

Also Tacoma maybe the worst Toyota but that's likely still better than most.

Last edited:

Likely a big wallet. I know when I was making around 6 figures and living in an apartment, I traded every 2 years. Z06, 370Z, etc.

2015 sees the introduction of the new Miata and CX9, one suffered from the soft top rubbing and the other infotainment system.

Back