2017~2024 Winter Tires for CX-5 - First time review. How are your winter tires?

^Cool, what did you go with? Ice is tough but you'll still be better served with a softer compound

My 17" tires and wheels have arrived. Getting them Thursday. Could have used them today.
Car did great this morning on my all seasons. Gotta be honest, though, it let me down a little on the way home. Very solid sheet of ice on this one road, slight incline. Felt and heard some serious wheel slippage before it caught and pulled me up. My 27 sensors checking 200 times a minute were asleep apparently. Strange.

Maybe the car was doing its job, but the tires weren't. AWD can't overcome zero traction.

I live in Toronto, and I have been running 225-65-17 Continental WinterContact Si's on my 2017 GT.

They have been terrific; no slippage whatsoever. The AWD is seamless, as advertised.

I'm a happy customer so far.

This summer, i.e. 2018 I have to replace my tires. What I am debating is this:

1. Should I go for all-season in NY/NJ and call it a day?
2. Should I go for high performance summer tires and have 16-in wheels / winter tires instead?
As of now: OEM Toyo which in my humble opinion: isn't that bad.

There's a very vocal snow tires crew here that will make you feel guilty if you don't get snows...like your dangerous to other drivers on the road. Fact: you're probably not unless you suck at driving. Fact: snows + AWD is bar none best. There's no question there.
My opinion: if you can afford it, do it. You'll have 2 sets of tires that will last a long time. You'll have the best traction all year round.
If you can't, don't.
I've been driving in Cleveland winters for let's just say a long time. 4 of those winters I had snows. Let's just say 4 out of 25. I've never had a snow related incident. Im a smart driver. But, when my wife drives my car and has my little boy with her, and it's bad out...(and today...I can afford it easily)...I want her in the best possible situation she can be in. And that's snows with AWD.

I bought a set of second hand 17s off eBay and am running Yokohama W Drive’s. I think the benefits are largely unseen as they out perform the standard Toyo’s in anything under 7C (45F) and rain and snow. In other words it’s hard to quantify just how much better they are but the chances are I could have got into trouble without them. I often pass other cars that are creeping about on a snowy or icy road and mine feels just normal. I’m able to brake and steer as if it were a normal dry road. I have to go to work at all hours and wouldn’t be without them. I would add that I never forget about the winter conditions and that there is a limit to what the tyres can achieve. I don’t want to end up with a stone wall inside the car with me!

Here it is with the winters on;

78296_C29-_E283-4524-8330-_CA5_E9_CFABBB3.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Toronto, and I have been running 225-65-17 Continental WinterContact Si's on my 2017 GT.

They have been terrific; no slippage whatsoever. The AWD is seamless, as advertised.

This is what I was going to choose but Michelins were a great deal and TR guy gave them rave reviews- Contis were pretty new when I bought and not much info/reviews on them then but glad to hear they worked well. How's the noise on them?

This summer, i.e. 2018 I have to replace my tires. What I am debating is this:

1. Should I go for all-season in NY/NJ and call it a day?
2. Should I go for high performance summer tires and have 16-in wheels / winter tires instead?
As of now: OEM Toyo which in my humble opinion: isn't that bad.

If you're a teacher(as I thought you mentioned), not a skier and don't forsee driving much in real bad conditions you can certainly 'get by' in NJ/NY area on an AS that has good snow traction (Mich defender or Goodyear tripletred come to mind) but there's always a sacrifice with this solution- I ran Goodyears year round (yes I admit it) on my old CR-V and they were fine but also loud as hell year round too. Defenders should be better in that regard but my guess is you'll sacrifice handling. If you can afford it (and that argument is almost always bs I feel)- 2 sets of tires or wheels and tires is the optimal set up- I like 17s vs 16s for the CX-5 but that's up to you.

Last edited:
There's a very vocal snow tires crew here that will make you feel guilty if you don't get snows...like your dangerous to other drivers on the road. Fact: you're probably not unless you suck at driving. Fact: snows + AWD is bar none best. There's no question there.
My opinion: if you can afford it, do it. You'll have 2 sets of tires that will last a long time. You'll have the best traction all year round.
If you can't, don't.
I've been driving in Cleveland winters for let's just say a long time. 4 of those winters I had snows. Let's just say 4 out of 25. I've never had a snow related incident. Im a smart driver. But, when my wife drives my car and has my little boy with her, and it's bad out...(and today...I can afford it easily)...I want her in the best possible situation she can be in. And that's snows with AWD.

Here I am:)..
Fact- the asshole in a gray Honda Accord who got stuck going up Anderson Hill in front of me put me in a dangerous position because his vehicle was obviously ill equipped to handle the conditions we were experiencing and exhausted his forward momentum about halfway to the summit. I see idiots like this ad nauseam when I'm out (needfully)in bad weather- and yeah it irks the crap out of me!! Its not just a snow tire thing its the dumbfucks on nearly bald tires with or without awd wondering why they have no traction!! In the near blizzard conditions at that time last Thurs no non-awd vehicle w/o snows was fit for the road- period.

Last edited:

Agreed. No question that snow tires are best if given the option. That said, depending on where you are and how much snow you have to deal with every year, if it's not much, you'd be fine saving some cash and just using all seasons, as long as you drive smart.

If you can't, don't.

QFT.

Yep, well said. Here in Denver, ugly snowstorms are really a rarity and any time it does snow it melts fast. For every snowstorm, the roads are totally clear and fine by the next day or 2 and then its weeks before the next one. I mean we get snowstorms, but lately our winters have been pretty mild (it's a winter wasteland here, totally awful, nobody move here :p ), so really I have not seen the value of buying snow tires. They'd be good for a day, and then just wearing out on the road with not snow on it for several weeks before the next. Especially useless when I just stay home when it snows for the most part.

I had one trip, a year ago where I really would have liked having snow tires (Denver to San Francisco in January) but not having extra spending cash for tires, and not starting new job for a couple of more weeks couldn't get snow tires. And yes, this trip was necessary. In the end just drove smart and didn't do anything stupid or try to do more than I knew I was capable of, took it slow when I needed to, and made the trip and back just fine through 3 nasty snow storms in Utah, California, and Wyoming.

To summarize, if you can afford it, get the snow tires and have the peace of mind. If not, then don't sweat it, just don't drive like a jackass who thinks they are invincible.

Last edited:
I'll add this and I'm done- swear..the argument that we don't get enough snow annually to justify the cost is kinda bs too because those are those ones (presumably without much winter conditions experience/practice) who could benefit the most! If you can (and do) stay home when its bad then fine but if you can't and/or if you want you, your kids, other ppls kids (yeah I went there 7) to be as safe possible if the situation happens and you find yourself out in a storm- winter tires--just do it! Compromise elsewhere

Last edited:
Besides, if you are going to keep the car for more than a few years, the cost for winter tires can be minimal.

You can buy used 17" rims that fit exact from Mazda, Kia, or Hyundai for under $300 around here, and often significantly less than that. Then you extend the life of your All-Season tires by spreading the mileage over your winter tires. If your stock are 19" you could eventually break even due to less expensive tires.

This is what I was going to choose but Michelins were a great deal and TR guy gave them rave reviews- Contis were pretty new when I bought and not much info/reviews on them then but glad to hear they worked well. How's the noise on them?

I don't find them to be loud at all.

I was debating between the Continental and the Gislaved. Opted for the Continental because my sister had them on her Tiguan and they have performed well.

I've been running them also. Very impressed. I ran Blizzaks for the last 3 years and the Contis are definitely as good as or better. Much quieter. Grip is fantastic.

Here I am:)..
Fact- the asshole in a gray Honda Accord who got stuck going up Anderson Hill in front of me put me in a dangerous position because his vehicle was obviously ill equipped to handle the conditions we were experiencing and exhausted his forward momentum about halfway to the summit. I see idiots like this ad nauseam when I'm out (needfully)in bad weather- and yeah it irks the crap out of me!! Its not just a snow tire thing its the dumbfucks on nearly bald tires with or without awd wondering why they have no traction!! In the near blizzard conditions at that time last Thurs no non-awd vehicle w/o snows was fit for the road- period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

You gotta always brake lightly at first and Gradually increase braking effort, even if you are trying to stop quickly. Once your tires lock in the snow and stsrt to ABS there is not much you can do. Try to avoid ABS.

Back