2017~2024 Winter Tires for CX-5 - First time review. How are your winter tires?

soulred17

:
CX-5
So with high hopes and excitement I got myself a set of new wheels and BEST category winter tires.... Here is my 2cents if you are planning on getting winter tires.

1. The acceleration and grip you get off the line is amazing, no slipping what so ever, felt definitely quicker off the line in cx5 and winter tires vs all season in my EVO X which slips but digs itself to contact tarmac with superior performance and AWD system.

2. cornering is now very predictive with a smooth steeering control and right amount of throttle makes the car point in the right direction.

Neutral:

1. I have to say that the braking has been Good 75% of the time but 25% of the time it feels like a all season tire.
Sometimes the tires were able to stop with greater force like you can feel yourself moving forward with ABS kicking only 2 or 3 times before coming to a complete stop like from 40mph to 0. And other times I have found that the ABS is working too hard to stop and the car slides and glides before stopping. I guess there could have been ICE underneath but I was expecting the same performance in braking through out.

Dislikes.

1. Cost and convenience has to be the only downside, it set me back $1300 for new wheels and winter tires and it is going to cost me atleast $60 a year for switching back and forth twice a year and wheel balancing rotation etc.

2. Also these tires are so soft that screws puncture it with ease. I already had to fix a screw that punctured my tire with just 1 week of having it ON.

3. Almost forgot...... The tire noise is noticeable compared to OEM toyo 19", I dont mind but its worth mentioning

If you have or used winter tires can you share your experience. Is my expectation high that the braking will not be that dramatic to a all season on snow or ice? I am not talking about controlled environment results in video but real time in real road conditions.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Last year was exceptionally snowy for Portland. By spring one of our cars had picked up four screws (on three different tires) and the other just one. Both had all-seasons. Probably all the construction in our area didn't help, but four screws in one season is crazy. Luckily all could be patched.

If you are rotating your tires, do it at the same time you switch winter to summer / summer winter. Then the switch is free.

You could also just spend ~$50 and get a 2 1/2 ton floor jack and do all your tire swaps/rotations yourself since your winter tires are on dedicated rims.

If you have no interest in buying a jack, there is no need to re-balance the tires after each seasonal change, unless you're banging a nasty pot hole every few miles.

Blaming the tires for picking up screws is like blaming paint for chipping when hit with 70 MPH gravel. Tires aren't meant for driving over screws...

You could also just spend ~$50 and get a 2 1/2 ton floor jack and do all your tire swaps/rotations yourself since your winter tires are on dedicated rims.

If you have no interest in buying a jack, there is no need to re-balance the tires after each seasonal change, unless you're banging a nasty pot hole every few miles.

Agree 100%. Here we change and rotate the tyres ourselves, twice a year, while changing from winter to summer and vice versa. All you need is a flat surface and a good quality floor jack and stands. Balancing is only done if you have had a tyre related misadventure. I have never had to re balance my tyres in all these years. I think it is a rip off. Keep track of which tyre went where each season and rotate accordingly. There is even a competition in the Nordic countries as to who can change the tyre in the shortest time. Under 3 minutes! Here is a video from Finland. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ChdGHNDmYM

If you are rotating your tires, do it at the same time you switch winter to summer / summer winter. Then the switch is free.

Yes but Discount usually has Wheel balancing and tire rotation together as a package. I would have to find one that is itemized so I can pick and choose. But the cost isnt terrible if I can wrap my head around the benefits have winter tires is superior to the all season then its worth it. Otherwise it was a bad decision to have spent the money. Have you had winter tires before how was the handling especially in braking

Last edited:
Agree 100%. Here we change and rotate the tyres ourselves, twice a year, while changing from winter to summer and vice versa. All you need is a flat surface and a good quality floor jack and stands. Balancing is only done if you have had a tyre related misadventure. I have never had to re balance my tyres in all these years. I think it is a rip off. Keep track of which tyre went where each season and rotate accordingly. There is even a competition in the Nordic countries as to who can change the tyre in the shortest time. Under 3 minutes! Here is a video from Finland. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ChdGHNDmYM

It might be a rip off. But the importance of Wheel balancing is undeniable.

Yes but I live in an apartment and the luxury of having a small shop in the garage to do things yourself doesn't really help me and people like me in this situation. I agree with you on tire rotation, wheel balancing would probably be required just to make sure the weights did not shift or got lost during the season, prett lame reason but it happens.

^That^^

As for my CX-5 winter tire experience I went with a 235/65-17 Dunlop SP wintersport D3 and they have been fantastic in all but the worst conditions (where they're still ok+) which has worked out as we've been getting off easy past cpl years. The wear on these tires has been amazing..on their 5th winter now and I drive 75m/day- I have 4 new 225/65-17 Mich XI2s in my garage for a year now that I expect will do better in snow and be quieter but not handle nearly as well..so I'm resisting the switch:) Had wife's Blizzak dm-v2s mounted on her Highlander last week and they're floaty as hell but holy crap does that thing hook up in snow- blasting up (and down) my steep and narrow driveway w/3 inches on it Sat like it was literally nothing- the Dunlops would make it but not nearly as drama free as that- extra 1000# of Toyota doesn't hurt there either.

OP- need to know what tire you're running..all winter tires are not created equal!!

Last edited:
Yes but I live in an apartment and the luxury of having a small shop in the garage to do things yourself doesn't really help me and people like me in this situation. I agree with you on tire rotation, wheel balancing would probably be required just to make sure the weights did not shift or got lost during the season, prett lame reason but it happens.

Ah yes, you probably don't have a lot of driveway/parking space, but you only need room for the vehicle to do the swap. Worse case load 'em up and head to a parking lot and change them out there. I'm thinking if you have room to store the wheels, then you should have room for a jack?

From my experience, most of the time balancing is included because they are also mounting tires to the rims. If its just a simple rotation with premounted tires, then there is little need to have the tires removed, reinstalled and balanced. I only have them balanced if one or more is wearing excessively, or there is obvious wobble/vibration at highway speeds.

Last edited:
^That^^

As for my CX-5 winter tire experience I went with a 235/65-17 Dunlop SP wintersport D3 and they have been fantastic in all but the worst conditions (where they're still ok+) which has worked out as we've been getting off easy past cpl years. The wear on these tires has been amazing..on their 5th winter now and I drive 75m/day- I have 4 new 225/65-17 Mich XI2s in my garage for a year now that I expect will do better in snow and be quieter but not handle nearly as well..so I'm resisting the switch:) Had wife's Blizzak dm-v2s mounted on her Highlander last week and they're floaty as hell but holy crap does that thing hook up in snow- blasting up (and down) my steep and narrow driveway w/3 inches on it Sat like it was literally nothing- the Dunlops would make it but not nearly as drama free as that- extra 1000# of Toyota doesn't hurt there either.

OP- need to know what tire you're running..all winter tires are not created equal!!

Its pretty cool you had the option to test multiple Top 10 winter tires. I am glad to hear that winter tires handle only OK+ at worst conditions and I can live with the money I spent for best handling in normal conditions.

I heard the Michelin XICE 2 and 3 are pretty good handling as well and no doubt the blizzak are awesome in snow and in water. I know what you mean by floaty I felt it in warmer days myself and dry conditions.

Now for the reveal. I have aftermarket 17" wheels that wear Nokian hakkapeliitta R2 225/65 R17 SUV

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7956.JPG
    IMG_7956.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 3,065
Those Nokian's get fantastic reviews. They're #1 on my short list for my next winter tire. I've used General Altimax Artics in the past on our CX5, CRV and 4Runner, and have been very happy with them. I'm currently using Hankook i*Pike RW11s on my QX. Pretty darn good in the first 2 storms that we've had this winter.

Regarding performance, some do better in snow, some better on ice, etc. All are slightly different.

If you have or used winter tires can you share your experience. Is my expectation high that the braking will not be that dramatic to a all season on snow or ice? I am not talking about controlled environment results in video but real time in real road conditions.

My experience has been that braking is FAR better on snow and ice than all seasons. I spent 20 winters in the Rockies, and I would say the improved stopping power is just as important a reason to get winters as any other consideration.

Ah yes, you probably don't have a lot of driveway/parking space, but you only need room for the vehicle to do the swap. Worse case load 'em up and head to a parking lot and change them out there. I'm thinking if you have room to store the wheels, then you should have room for a jack?

From my experience, most of the time balancing is included because they are also mounting tires to the rims. If its just a simple rotation with premounted tires, then there is little need to have the tires removed, reinstalled and balanced. I only have them balanced if one or more is wearing excessively, or there is obvious wobble/vibration at highway speeds.

Yes Space isnt the problem. Its the inconvenience of having the winter set. I'm only half way in and it was a pain carrying the tires up 2 storey building. And even the idea of having a jack and storing winter tires and switching them twice a year isnt all that bad.... I am with you. The question is, does it add even more value than the time, effort and money we spend on winter tire for the little or more gains we get out of them. So it would be useful for future buyers or help us to make the right decisions when its time to get another set again. This is my first winter so the next 3 or 5 winters would really make me love it or hate it.

Last edited:
I heard the Michelin XICE 2 and 3 are pretty good handling as well and no doubt the blizzak are awesome in snow and in water. I know what you mean by floaty I felt it in warmer days myself and dry conditions.

I have the Xice 2 on my GX. 40K mile tire warranty... read of some keeping them on year round.

My 17" tires and wheels have arrived. Getting them Thursday. Could have used them today.
Car did great this morning on my all seasons. Gotta be honest, though, it let me down a little on the way home. Very solid sheet of ice on this one road, slight incline. Felt and heard some serious wheel slippage before it caught and pulled me up. My 27 sensors checking 200 times a minute were asleep apparently. Strange.

Back