2017 CX-5 GT wipers suck

Yesterday the Twin Cities area of Minnesota experienced our largest same-day snow event in 8 years. Officially 12.4" of relatively wet, heavy snow which started around 10am. Our business released us early and the commute home was 'interesting'. Wife and I took the CX-5 and I'll have to say it performed splendidly with no vices whatsoever using the OEM 19" TOYOs.

The stock wipers also performed adequately. We didn't notice any icing until almost home about 60 minutes later. Snow was coming down about 2" per hour and MSP airport was forced to close all 4 runways twice that day.

I'm appreciative of the heated area of the lower windscreen as it does seem to keep the buildup of snow/ice to a minimum in that area.

Yesterday the Twin Cities area of Minnesota experienced our largest same-day snow event in 8 years. Officially 12.4" of relatively wet, heavy snow which started around 10am. Our business released us early and the commute home was 'interesting'. Wife and I took the CX-5 and I'll have to say it performed splendidly with no vices whatsoever using the OEM 19" TOYOs.

The stock wipers also performed adequately. We didn't notice any icing until almost home about 60 minutes later. Snow was coming down about 2" per hour and MSP airport was forced to close all 4 runways twice that day.

I'm appreciative of the heated area of the lower windscreen as it does seem to keep the buildup of snow/ice to a minimum in that area.

An old trick (supposedly) my neighbor (WWII veteran - Russian) told me has worked for me. A dab of silicon oil (in his days it was some oil he called final drive oil) rubbed on the rubber wipers causes them to add a layer of oil on the windshield. Then the snow/rain doesn't even stick on the windshield. It has always worked for me.

I have a 2017 CX5 Touring and for the most part I have been ok with the new vehicle. I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee that was going bad in the engine area, so I opted for something to get around town. Today we had a lot of snow and I had to be out in it. When the snow hit the warm windshield, it formed ice, so I put on the front windshield blower and it took care of it , but quickly froze. the wiper blades were useless as they didn't move the ice away. I had to on several occasions pull over and clean the wiper blades. It got so bad that it was nearly impossible to see out the front window. I won't comment about the back. So I called the local Mazda service, they guy said that the blades that come from the factory were not made for snow (what? no snow in Japan??) and that I should go to a local parts store like O'Reillys or Napa and get an aftermarket snow blade. Since Iwas coming in for the 5k oil change this week, they would put it on. SO I called around, no one had anything to fit. I went to Amazon and ordered a 24 inch driver side and 18 inch passenger and a 14 inch rear blade. Although they claim they fit on anything, but won't commit to this car. I am kind of pissed. Had I known this before I bought the vehicle,, then I might have looked further. Since I have it, I have to work with it. Does anyone know if what I chose will fit ? I have coming tomorrow,
Bosch ICON 24A Wiper Blade, Bosch ICON 18B Wiper Blade. I can still order the Rain-X 5079280-2 Latitude Wiper Blade, 24" and the 18 inch same brand.

Costco sells Michelin blades here in Canada at least that claim to work on the 2017 CX-5. Has anyone tried those?

IskiE

Bosch website says the new Bosch Envision work. Autozone has them, but their selector says they don't fit. It could just be Autozone selector is not updated yet.

Just got home driving with about a 2-3” wide strip of visibility. Man these wipers suck. Sub’d for future reference.

Just purchased the Bosch Envisions. Thankfully the EN24OE & EN18OE fit as long as you use the included adapter #6.

CaXF6UK.jpg

iOv2ZHs.jpg

Last edited:
Just purchased the Bosch Envisions. Thankfully the EN24OE & EN18OE fit as long as you use the included adapter #6.

CaXF6UK.jpg

iOv2ZHs.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Can we get a shot of them front on, fairly close up (not too close though) please (uhm)

Shouldn't be long before you can test them out in Chicago, eh? :)

Please let us know how they perform.

Costco sells Michelin blades here in Canada at least that claim to work on the 2017 CX-5. Has anyone tried those?

IskiE

Depending on which ones they are, I tried some Michelin blades from Wal-Mart and 3 weeks later threw them away and bought a new set of Bosch Icons.

1 snowstorm and they iced up, streaked water, and made noises along the windshield. Truly the worst blades next to the OEM ones I have had on my CX-5.

Granted I'm a 2014, not a 2017, so mine can fit the Icons.

The OEM blades weren't stellar on the 2018 this morning. I had to pull huge chunks off off the blades when I got to work. Has no one tried the Costco Michelin blades or are those not available south of the border?

The OEM blades weren't stellar on the 2018 this morning. I had to pull huge chunks off off the blades when I got to work. Has no one tried the Costco Michelin blades or are those not available south of the border?
What model? The ones I tried at Wal-Mart we're the Optimum-XT. They were terrible.

Agreed on the OEM blades. I ripped mine off a couple weeks after I bought it. Fine for rain, awful for snow.

Was this during snow (uhm)

I just wanted to thank you for the information on these blades. I could not be happier, especially compared to the horrendous OEM blades! It was a little frustrating as the one local places that carried them said the blades would not fit my vehicle, but magical adapter #6 ftw! Thank you again!

CaXF6UK.jpg

iOv2ZHs.jpg

Shouldn't be long before you can test them out in Chicago, eh? :)

Please let us know how they perform.

First full day using them here. I'd have to say from cold start I was bit afraid that there was a small streaking issue (on the top right of the passenger side wiper) and I feared it was the arm pressure might have been the culprit. But as the windshield started melting the snow and when applying wiper fluid on the highway I did not notice the streaking and ice form on the normal wiper path that I had with the OEMs. I'll continue to monitor how they perform and report back if I notice any cons.

Back