2017 CX-5 GT wipers suck

Dominator

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
I live in Montreal, Canada. I bought my CX-5 in November. I am so disappointed by the wipers they provided me. We had rain most of the time in november and it's so low quality. I contact my dealer for more details about these wipers...

It's worse in the winter as you can see (I turned all the heaters on)...
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/VousH"><a href="//imgur.com/VousH">2017 cx-5 wipers</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What are you hoping they will do, other than removing water from the windshield? If they have ice sticking to them, you need to knock that off before you start driving. You could apply rainex to the windshield and then the ice and snow has a much more difficult time sticking to the glass which translates into less sticking to the wiper.

My wipers have been the best I've had. Not that it would be a challenge to replace if they weren't.

What are you hoping they will do, other than removing water from the windshield? If they have ice sticking to them, you need to knock that off before you start driving. You could apply rainex to the windshield and then the ice and snow has a much more difficult time sticking to the glass which translates into less sticking to the wiper.

I've been using costco's Michelin wipers with my old cars and never had this problem even without rainex...

I live in Montreal, Canada. I bought my CX-5 in November. I am so disappointed by the wipers they provided me. We had rain most of the time in november and it's so low quality. I contact my dealer for more details about these wipers...

It's worse in the winter as you can see (I turned all the heaters on)...
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/VousH"><a href="//imgur.com/VousH">2017 cx-5 wipers</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Its a known issue for these new proprietarily-designed Mazda windshield wipers especially in winter snowing/icy conditions. Since Mazda started to usd this new style wipers on the 2016 CX-9, therere plenty of complains with the same issues youve found out. The worst thing is you can do nothing about it as theres no aftermarket wipers or winter wipers which would fit the proprietarily-designed hook. Youre stuck with these poorly-designed Mazda wipers!

It’s a known issue for these new proprietarily-designed Mazda windshield wipers especially in winter snowing/icy conditions. Since Mazda started to usd this new style wipers on the 2016 CX-9, there’re plenty of complains with the same issues you’ve found out. The worst thing is you can do nothing about it as there’s no aftermarket wipers or winter wipers which would fit the proprietarily-designed hook. You’re stuck with these poorly-designed Mazda wipers!

Thanks buddy! I knew something was wrong... I'll try to get something from the dealer

I've been using costco's Michelin wipers with my old cars and never had this problem even without rainex...
I agree. Everything is comparative. Thiss not the first vehicle youre using wipers in Montreal winter. You feel the performance is worse on your new 2017 CX-5. Unfortunately theres nothing you can do about it until some aftermarket wiper manufacture is willing to develop an adapter to fit the Mazda hook, although itd be bulky and ugly.

And just to be clear, it is not the wiper arms that are heated, but rather the front windshield has electrical de-icer locations built into the glass?

And just to be clear, it is not the wiper arms that are heated, but rather the front windshield has electrical de-icer locations built into the glass?

Correct, there are heating elements in the glass where the wipers rest at the bottom.

Try and change the wiper rubber to Bosch ones. Apparently they are the best and should help

That’s the problem, you can’t. See all the links.

You should be able. See my posts in one of the above links.

I am sure by now Bosch has released wiper rubber for 2017+ model CX-5

Last edited:
You should be able. See my posts in one of the above links.

I am sure by now Bosch has released wiper rubber for 2017+ model CX-5
No ⋯
I believe its Densos first attempt at this modern cartridge style fixing. I tried several from various manufacturers here in Europe (where they are increasingly popular) and none fit, Denso have done their own thing. Its a disappointing step down from the old Hybrid clamshell design but most of the complaints came from the US so youve got yourselves to blame for the loss of those superb wipers.

The idea with all Denso wipers is that the frame is saved for at least the first and indeed as many changes until the frame is knackered and just the rubber is changed as shown in the handbook.

From New, my wipers fit like a glove on a ducks foot in the arm. They shimmy about and clunk when they change direction - a big comedown from the previous setup. There may of course be some cost savings for Mazda in this change but if I can prove the old setup fits on the new model Ill change it all back. That will cost me about $150.

As per above the rubber can be changed.

Unless I am missing something, changing rubber to a different brand might help.

Mazda HQ in relevant country might provide more info regarding different types of rubber.

"fit like a glove on a ducks foot"

Never heard that one before. Thanks, Anchorman! (lol2)

I agree the OEM wipers are no good.

Solution: I was able to fit the Michelin Stealth blade (https://ca.michelin-lifestyle.com/en/michelin-stealth-wiper-blade-1) by trimming (cutting off) very small amounts of the plastic EZ Lock adapter that it comes with. Just used an exacto knife. Also requires a little bit of force to get the adapter/blade in there.

Oh and these blades work very well in summer and winter. Also reasonably priced if you pick them up at Costco.

*Edit/Update: The first time you do this, you will have to buy two 24" Driver Side Blades and modify the EZ adapter (1 in each blade package), so that you have a modified adapter for both the driver and passenger side blade. For some reason, the 18" Passenger side blade doesn't come with an EZ adapter. You only have to do this once during the life of the car because the adapters are reusable.

Last edited:
FWIW: I was in WalMart yesterday in the auto accessories section and noticed that Michelin has a brand of blades exclusively for WalMart called Optimum XT. They look like Bosch Icons. I checked the fitment manual attached to the shelf, and it listed the 2017 CX-5 as compatible.

FWIW: I was in WalMart yesterday in the auto accessories section and noticed that Michelin has a brand of blades exclusively for WalMart called Optimum XT. They look like Bosch Icons. I checked the fitment manual attached to the shelf, and it listed the 2017 CX-5 as compatible.
so I guess the hook adapter now finally is available for Mazda styled hook. But those multi-purpose bulky hook adaptors usually make wipers looked ugly.

Latest posts

Back