2013 CX-5 Traction, Tire Pressure, Master Warning, Engine Light, Trouble Starting

Replaced all calipers and hoses, new pads and rotors... and the same problem persists. Front brakes are smoking after not much driving, left and right. Would the abs sensors be somehow to blame??? At a total loss here

Wait who replaced all those parts? Why would you replace brake hoses and calipers?

It seems that your problem may be electrical related. Did you take it to the dealership?

I replaced all of the brake parts. I took it back to the shop that recommended the full brake job and had them check and reset the codes. The only hard code in the system was C0040, brake fluid pressure sensor. Some research at this link http://www.mcx5.org/brake_fluid_pressure_sensor-846.html
says the sensor is an integral of the DSC HU/CM, and malfunction of this sensor means replacement of the whole unit.

Anybody aware of any recalls or service bulletins regarding this component? 70,000 miles seems early for this critical of a component to fail..

Also, anybody have an idea how much one of these costs? I called the two nearest dealerships to me but both are closed for the day.

For the sake of completion and in case this helps anybody else out, Ill wrap up the saga.

After replacing the dsc controller, the problem still did not go away. The car was constantly engaging the brakes while driving. I had to have it towed to the dealer as there was not much left for me to do and every single dash was illuminated since the controller needed to be initialized by the dealer. Turns out the brake light switch I iniatilaly replaced mightve had a short in it. Unbelievable to me that would cause the brakes to engage but thats what it seems to have been as car is driving fine now. Dealer seemed to think the controller mightve still been bad since it was throwing the code for brake fluid pressure switch. And it makes some amount of sense that was the root cause of the problems since that controller and the brake switch are on the same circuit, so maybe that controller caused some overvoltage event? There was also a brake light out so that might be more evidence, but your guess is as good as mine.

Bottom line, if your Mazda is engaging the brakes by itself, check your brake switch.

Last night my 2013 Mazda CX-5 showed the check engine light, master warning light, the traction control light, and my tire pressure light would blink several times. Luckily I was just pulling into the driveway of a friend's that we were staying for dinner at when it all happened, and I was able to turn the vehicle off without driving it with it's apparent problem. Found your post here and read through it while eating dinner. After an hour I went out to the car to try and start it, me and my wife have both had some fits with starting it at times, after applying pressure to the break the start button on the dash would be orange instead of green, only turning on the electronics on the dash. After a second or third try, it usually goes green and then no problem. I thought it was a bad battery in the key fob, so I replaced them a while back. I plan to call to my closest Mazda dealer today to see if I can't replace the same switch that you had. Just went out to warm up the car to go to work, the check engine light is gone, but the traction control light is illuminated along with the blinking tire pressure light.

I just got to work and wanted to say that when I got back in my car, the traction control light was illuminated along with the blinking tire pressure light. But when I put the car into gear the dash lights went off. So I now have no warning lights on again.

Last edited:
Wow, what are the chances somebody would have the same symptoms within a week! How many miles on the car? I definitely recommend at least switching the brake light sensor, that will most likely take care of the starting problem. If the traction control and TPMS light are still on after that, I really recommend taking it to the dealer to get diagnosed before you start throwing $700 parts at it. Id be very curious to hear what they think after theyre actually able to plug into the car, I only ever spoke to them over the phone and relayed the codes my local shop were able to pull.

Please keep me updated, Im very interested to hear how this gets resolved!

I was thinking brake switch misalignment since that had just been changed. Bad switch! Thanks for the heads- up.

2011 cx9 here and had same issue today. Driving home from an out of town bday party, all my warning lights came on. I had all 3 kids with me so I was freaked out. We pulled over before getting on interstate and when I stopped and put in park radio screen went out and car made odd noise so I shut it off. I waited a minute and tried to restart car and it wouldn't turn over. I had left my GPS on the whole time while we were at party and figured battery died. Luckily my parents where headed behind and gave me a jump and there was an advanced auto store right near us. They checked the voltage and was only reading 9 volts. They said it was alternator not battery. We decided to try and take back country roads home but as soon as I started to get back on road vehicle wouldn't shift gears and was very sluggish. So we stopped and had it towed home. My husband went and got new alternator and is replacing now. I'm just wondering if that was right move. We are strapped for money and have only had car for 3 months. It's at 88k miles and everything seems perfect on it until now. Any input would be great!

Hi, 2012 CX5 and I had the same issue today. 135k. RACQ checked it and said that it would need a new alternator and battery.
2011 cx9 here and had same issue today. Driving home from an out of town bday party, all my warning lights came on. I had all 3 kids with me so I was freaked out. We pulled over before getting on interstate and when I stopped and put in park radio screen went out and car made odd noise so I shut it off. I waited a minute and tried to restart car and it wouldn't turn over. I had left my GPS on the whole time while we were at party and figured battery died. Luckily my parents where headed behind and gave me a jump and there was an advanced auto store right near us. They checked the voltage and was only reading 9 volts. They said it was alternator not battery. We decided to try and take back country roads home but as soon as I started to get back on road vehicle wouldn't shift gears and was very sluggish. So we stopped and had it towed home. My husband went and got new alternator and is replacing now. I'm just wondering if that was right move. We are strapped for money and have only had car for 3 months. It's at 88k miles and everything seems perfect on it until now. Any input would be great!

Hi, I had the same issue today and RACQ recommend to replace the alternator and battery. How did you go after doing the work. Did you fix it? Mazda centre said that they have never seen and alternator failing on this Mazda model.
Your feedback would be much appreciated!
Thank you

Hi, 2012 CX5 and I had the same issue today. 135k. RACQ checked it and said that it would need a new alternator and battery.

Hi, I had the same issue today and RACQ recommend to replace the alternator and battery. How did you go after doing the work. Did you fix it? Mazda centre said that they have never seen and alternator failing on this Mazda model.
Your feedback would be much appreciated!
Thank you
@mt365 Same thing here. Any updates on your end?

Back