First Snow Experience!

:
2021 Acura RDX
Well, I got to finally drive my 1$ GY in the snow today on my way home from work. The vehicle is still on stock tires, and I had absolutely NO trouble whatsoever! I watched people slipping and sliding, and yet I stayed straight as heck. The AWD is amazing, and it is nice to know how capable this vehicle is

Glad to hear that. Still waiting on my first.

(cheerbanana)(cheerbanana)(cheerbanana)

I just had my first experience also and I agree, amazing. Especially coming from a FWD Sedan.

Is there a dash light that turns on when AWD is active? I didn’t see one and I swear it was kicking in.

Same here, I was having fun in the snow. Amazing that it performs well even with the stock tires.

I totally agree! I dont think any AWD light comes on? It would be cool if it had the option to see which wheels the power is gonna to.

Anyway, I was messing around with it, and it was as stable as can be!

Nope, there is NO AWD light. It is seamless, you should never hear any clunk, or see any lights. I really just enjoy being able to drive confidently without ever having to activate it by needing to turn something on, flip a switch or push a button.

I just had my first experience also and I agree, amazing. Especially coming from a FWD Sedan.

Is there a dash light that turns on when AWD is active? I didn’t see one and I swear it was kicking in.

No, and I suspect the reason for this is that to some extent or another, it activates VERY OFTEN, and would drive people nutty.

Well, I got to finally drive my 1$ GY in the snow today on my way home from work. The vehicle is still on stock tires, and I had absolutely NO trouble whatsoever! I watched people slipping and sliding, and yet I stayed straight as heck. The AWD is amazing, and it is nice to know how capable this vehicle is

Be quiet, the snow tire nazis will be along any minute to chastize you for not buying proper snow tires. You'll kill all of us by driving conservatively without them.

Yes I am quite impressed with mazda AWD.

I just drove 60miles for no reason when it was snowing here yesterday with my winter tire setup and I have to say it was very good. reminded me of my EVO X days.

The good thing about the AWD is that the handling is very predictive and the fact that you cannot disable the DSC means that it will try very hard to keep you in a straight line. ( no fun drifting in snow).

I stopped the car in the middle of a steep incline and when pressed the gas pedal the car moved up without slipping or rolling back what so ever. just like in the video in youtube against subaru forester and honda crv.

Last edited:
Be quiet, the snow tire nazis will be along any minute to chastize you for not buying proper snow tires. You'll kill all of us by driving conservatively without them.

Haha well at least you didn't call me out by name:) OP: if the stock Toyos work fine for you and your needs/conditions great- I can't argue because mine never even saw flurries. At 269/tire (back then) winters on dedicated 17s was a no brainer for me. Just keep in mind that next year or certainly the year after that when those puppies are half worn+ your results will definitely not be as glowing.

Last edited:
They could have a screen just for the AWD showing the torque to each wheel etc, Kuga has such a screen I believe.

No, and I suspect the reason for this is that to some extent or another, it activates VERY OFTEN, and would drive people nutty.

This is the second winter we've had our CX-5. No big snow yet this time but last winter I had some fun with the white stuff. The Mazda did fine and I had no issues. The one thing that I didn't like was not being able to lock up the rear wheels with the parking brake and sliding the ass end of the car around at will. Oh well.

Yes, and I believe thats why CX-5s MPG gap between AWD and FWD is larger than all other compact CUVs.

We're on our 3d CX-5 and not once have we gotten stuck in even the worst German snows between Nuremberg-Munich or when we lived in Colorado.

This vehicle performs well in the snow (along with good common sense).

Don't forget that 4WD doesn't help you slow down or turn in the snow, so beware of being overconfident.

Back