Heated steering wheel

T-pole

:
2017 CX-5 GT
It's getting cold here in Chicago. The cx-5 is the wife's daily driver, and she told me the heater only works for a few minutes.

Owners manual said it stays on for a half hour, but I found that it gets really hot for a few minutes, then seems to cool off for about 5 minutes, then kick back on. Like the thermostat has a wide on/off range.

Does this seem normal? I have this in my Tahoe as well. It doesn't seem to get as hot as the Mazda's, but the Tahoe remains a constant temperature the whole time.

I've got to turn my off after about a minute unless I'm wearing gloves-- mine gets too hot to hold! (flame2)

I've noticed the same thing, as well. Wondered if it was just a temp regulation thing to ensure it doesn't get too hot. It does seem odd that it would ramp up to a high temperature and then reduce the temperature rather than keeping a consistent, moderate temperature for a prolonged amount of time.

Definitely feels like an on/off element. But it's not THAT hot. I find it warm enough to head up my cold hands a bit. My guess for the ramp up is to get it to operating temp quickly as opposed to 5 minutes down the road. Bet there probably isn't a temperature sensor so it goes on timer to cycle and keep it within some engineered temperature limit. They COULD have made it to toggle between settings like the seat but personally if it gets too cold I'm wearing gloves sooooo no need for warmer.

Mine works fine. doesnt turn off and gets HOT pretty fast.

However I am dissappointed in the heated seats and windshield deicer. it takes atleast 15 min for the seat to get HOT at LEVEL 3 and LEVEL 2 keeps it warm after 15min and LEVEL 1 is good for nothing cant feel anything.

When asked dealership . they said it uses multiple temperature sensors and decide the intensity. you might want to keep you cabin temperature, heated seat setting. front and rear defogger all ON and then turn on heated steering wheel hopefully then the program knows that its freaking cold.

I miss my OLD FORD now. that things gets hot in a min. And I have found that in multiple Ford cars. they have some good heated seat.

And my deicer just tries to make sure its above freezing point. doest warm enough i still have frozen wipers

It doesn't get too hot to a point you can't hold them imo. But you sure would have to restart it as it cools off

I think both the heated seats and steering heater are really nice in CX-5 2017. They really heat up well and the steering heater switches off just as the car is getting warmer (in which you case you do not need the heated steering). It is better than BMW's heater.

It's definitely annoying how it gets too hot then shuts off. When I had my thermal camera, it showed 44C (111F) max temp. No idea why they'd ramp it up that high while the seats take forever to even get warm.

It's definitely annoying how it gets too hot then shuts off. When I had my thermal camera, it showed 44C (111F) max temp. No idea why they'd ramp it up that high while the seats take forever to even get warm.

I know it shuts off my rear defogger after a few min of having it ON. It was driving me nuts making me think did I turn it OFF accidentally or it shut off by itself.

However I am dissappointed in the heated seats and windshield deicer. it takes atleast 15 min for the seat to get HOT at LEVEL 3 and LEVEL 2 keeps it warm after 15min and LEVEL 1 is good for nothing cant feel anything.

Sounds like there's a lot of variation between cars. My seats heat up HOT and FAST... I can feel it literally in less than a minute. In fact, the heated seats make the cockpit tolerable until the air gets heated up enough to run the fan.

I'm guessing that the seat heat is regulated by voltage variation. Seems like something that should be adjustable by techs with the proper knowledge... IF the dealer is willing to admit that anything is wrong. Good luck with that!

I know it shuts off my rear defogger after a few min of having it ON. It was driving me nuts making me think did I turn it OFF accidentally or it shut off by itself.

Every car I've ever had with rear defrosters work that way, by design.

Wife's heated wheel in her 3 cycles up/down with heat but keeps my fingers warm. I'd imagine the CX5 is similar.

My old '02 Maxima's heated wheel was on some kind of 20 minute on/off cycle. The one in my GX seems to heat up hot and stay there although it isn't heated all around on that car due to the wood pieces.

It's getting cold here in Chicago. The cx-5 is the wife's daily driver, and she told me the heater only works for a few minutes.

Owners manual said it stays on for a half hour, but I found that it gets really hot for a few minutes, then seems to cool off for about 5 minutes, then kick back on. Like the thermostat has a wide on/off range.

Does this seem normal? I have this in my Tahoe as well. It doesn't seem to get as hot as the Mazda's, but the Tahoe remains a constant temperature the whole time.

I have the same issue with my heated steering wheel. It also seams that the bottom portion of the heated sections (both sides of the steering wheel) heat up more then the top portion. Asked dealer to check and the answer they gave me is "it is working as designed".

I have the same issue with my heated steering wheel. It also seams that the bottom portion of the heated sections (both sides of the steering wheel) heat up more then the top portion. Asked dealer to check and the answer they gave me is "it is working as designed".

The dealer is correct. Heating elements are only on the sides.
They must get a lot of questions about that, since my dealer explained that specifically when I took delivery.

The dealer is correct. Heating elements are only on the sides.
They must get a lot of questions about that, since my dealer explained that specifically when I took delivery.

My question to dealer was not where heating elements are located on the steering, I new location of heating elements from reading owners manual, the question to dealer was about steering not heating up evenly and heating steering only for few minutes.

My question to dealer was not where heating elements are located on the steering, I new location of heating elements from reading owners manual, the question to dealer was about steering not heating up evenly and heating steering only for few minutes.

That's not what you wrote... but I can see that could be what you meant.

Back