About to pull trigger on used 2016 GT w/Tech pkg plus....question on 2016 v 2016.5

RSMBob

:
2004 Mazda Tribute LX, 2016 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring???
Other goodies - retractable cargo cover, wheel locks, rear parking sensor, side roof racks,rear bumper guard
23K miles. Trying to get it under $22K before TTL, but for now am in mid $23K (California). Just put new tires on it as well.
Build date is 10/15 so it's a 2016 not a 2016.5.

Trying to get an understanding if I am missing anything by getting a 2016 vs the 2016.5 - interior, exterior, safety, entertaiment, other????
It seems to me that the 2016.5 just makes some features standard so therefore simply lessens the tech package option.

One more question...about the Nav system.
As I understand it , the Nav system operates by a SIM card...does this SIM card update itself somehow to stay current with new and changing roads?
The dealer (not a Mazda dealer) seems to be all excited about the Nav system but to me it's nothing special since I can just use my phone.

Appreciate any info/advice...and wish me luck.

With the build date on 10/2015, it definitely is a 2016, not 2016.5. For a GT, there’s no difference between these 2 model years including optional GT Technology Package and i-ActivSense Package. The only thing better on 2016.5 is it gets modified attachment with rubber pad and a plastic fastener for fuel filler pipe to overcome a possible fuel leak problem during the rear-end collision test performed by NHTSA instead of an empty bolt hole as the bolt got removed during a safety recall. I’d still ask for the window sticker, most likely is in the owner’s manual folder.

The rear parking sensor is a dealer-installed Mazda genuine accessary with an on/off switch hiding in the trunk. But it only beeps you and it’s totally different from front/rear parking sensors found in other regions which is integrated with infotainment system.

The SD card for NAV won’t update by itself. You have to do it by yourself manually. And you’re right, it’s almost useless as it lacks the advertised “Live Traffic” feature. Mine hasn’t been working for 2 years but we don’t even bother to get it fixed as wife just uses Google Map on her cell phone to avoid traffic jam.

And, good luck! :)

Last edited:
The Navi is great. Some people just cannot use a GPS if it doesn't give them LIVE traffic. The rest of us LOVE our GPS.

Good luck!

The NAV stuff is on an SD card, so to update the maps you'll have to hook it up to your computer. I believe they do the updates twice a year, and the update process is super easy.

The NAV certainly isn't anything special but it works great for us. Live traffic would've been nice to have at times, but the system does a fine job for what it is. I bought the SD card off ebay for a fraction of what the dealer wanted, so I don't have any complaints (I think i got it for about $150 where the dealer wanted around $400). That being said, we don't use our car to commute to work at all so live traffic wasn't a big deal for us.

We really only use it for long trips to visit family and we've never had any issues. When visiting my parents in NYC, we'll quickly set it up to avoid certain routes and it's been perfect for that.

Hi all, just reached a verbal agreement with the sales manager. Goal accomplished. This time Wed night I should be driving my new (to me) car home (and it's a 90 minute drive!). Goodbye 2004 Mazda Tribute. Hello 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT!

Hi all, just reached a verbal agreement with the sales manager. Goal accomplished. This time Wed night I should be driving my new (to me) car home (and it's a 90 minute drive!). Goodbye 2004 Mazda Tribute. Hello 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT!
Nice! Have you figured out if the CX-5 is a CPO by Mazda?

Back