Drag Coefficient

What makes you think that it might be, Unobtanium, hmmm?

Because drag is a huge deal, not just punching the hole, but how the rest of the car slides through that hole. For example, the 4th gem Fbody cars were shaped like cheese wedges. Very sharp. Still had more drag than a cx5.

I deal with bullets and trajectory and velocity a good bit. Ogive, base/tail profile, etc. are vastly more important than the tip of the bullet (in fact, it was just recently that through radar tracking, in real time with analysis, that Hornady discovered the ballistic tips were actually melting off of tipped bullets in flight!) A ballistic tip 55gr .223 round has a BC in the high .2s. A hollowpoint 77gr .223, in the mid .3s. But the bt had such a sharp nose...there is so much more at play here...and that's a bullet. With cars you have wheel well air management, underbody air control, side body, the list is huge. Even tire width matters a lot. Then you have the back of the car, which is massively important...gotta make it look good AND low turbulence, unless you're building a prius, and then F looks, apparently.

Last edited:
The front end isn't all that matters at all.

You missed my point. I did not suggest that it was "all that matters".
Maybe you read my comment too fast. It was: "What makes you think that it might be, Unobtanium, hmmm?"
The emphasis is on the word "might". Maybe the sarcasm was too subtle. (shrug)

You missed my point. I did not suggest that it was "all that matters".
Maybe you read my comment too fast. It was: "What makes you think that it might be, Unobtanium, hmmm?"
The emphasis is on the word "might". Maybe the sarcasm was too subtle. (shrug)

Well realistically the front end is very aerodynamic. The manipulation of contours to create very little airflow ruffles is impressive. headlights used to be the big one, as well as the bumper/grill. Mazda has (as well as others) engineered this out, by and large.

Good point. I think Nissan came up with something for that right?

Nissan has pretty decent aero. My 370Z felt very planted, as compared to my Z06. The 370Z is actually a neutral lift car, or it was in 2012, while the Z06 generated lift, I believe.

Back