Rear passenger clunk ?

The bottom
box" is tight and there is no play or movement there.

Mechanic added a washer to the top of the shock where it mounts to the body. He said that is the part that is rattling....
Ok. Just to be clear, the shock ‘mounts’ to the shock mount (one nut); the shock mount ‘mounts’ to the chassis (two nuts). I’m guessing you mean where the shock mounts to the top shock mount? If so, likely the mount (rubber) is bad. Doesn’t hurt to add a lock washer when you put it back together. Thankfully that is cheap and easy to do. Hope that’s the end of it.

Ok. Just to be clear, the shock ‘mounts’ to the shock mount (one nut); the shock mount ‘mounts’ to the chassis (two nuts). I’m guessing you mean where the shock mounts to the top shock mount? If so, likely the mount (rubber) is bad. Doesn’t hurt to add a lock washer when you put it back together. Thankfully that is cheap and easy to do. Hope that’s the end of it.
absolutely correct

I apologize if I was not clear before

Yes I meant where the shock mounts on the top to the top shock mount. I do think that rubber is worn. Mechanic thought it was ok but after seeing lots of video on you tube it seems it’s hard to tell when ok or bad. We added a lock washer there to the old mount. Noise decreased. Thus I think replacing that upper mount (rubber) will solve the issue

I will work on it two weeks

Same here..bought Bilstein .....and clunk ! I suggested do not buy a billig rear schock mount not original , but instead add a simply washer. 20180130_184626.jpg

Last edited:
I have been allowed to return the Bilsteins for a different set of rear shocks. Debating on what to get.

add one more? :)

I will do that Tuesday. What do you think? Should I replace the Bilsteins with another set of rear shocks instead ?

SACHS?
KYB?
55105 or the GR2-Excel G

Last edited:
Well 3 months of clunk has finally been solved

Do not get rear bilstein for this car

I installed new rear shock mounts today
Clunk was there
I added washers clunk was there

I decided to swap the rear shocks out again and went KYB, Walah clunk gone

DO NOT BUY REAR BILSTEIN FOR 2012+ MAZDA5

Back