Tesla in limp mode?

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Saw this going over local pass yesterday afternoon. I assume Tesla was in limp mode. The next Supercharger station is around 38 miles from that spot.

Cold weather caused the range became shorter than expected?

Not sure... kinda looked more like a malfunction as I think they were doing around 50 in a 70 zone.

Not sure... kinda looked more like a malfunction as I think they were doing around 50 in a 70 zone.
Its always hard for me to believe those 295-mile range on Tesla, the latest claim on Model S, especially in cold weather environment. The slow Model S in your dash-cam could be running short of electricity and had to slow down to save electricity until he could reach the next charging station 38 miles ahead.

Of course that poor Tesla guy would have to take a long 1 hour and a half coffee break while charging! (boom03)

It did not look like limp mode. Some people take it easy in the mountains especially if this is not their daily drive. Good that the blinkers were on.

If that is the case they really put themselves and others in danger driving 20MPH below the posted speed limit. Lots of 18 wheeler traffic this route as this is the major route east & west in WA state for commerce. This is actually about 20 miles from the mountain pass and basically flatlands and small hills as one heads into eastern Washington state. A state patrol officer would have likely pulled them over.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.425

AFAIK... not legal to drive around in my state with hazard lights on unless your vehicle is malfunctioning.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/hazard-light-use/

I've come across quite a few major slow pokes the past year... we're talking 10-20 mph under the limit on highways. Usually its someone who is really quite old, but other times what appears to be just a general idiot, someone on their phone, or someone who is just terrified to be driving around other vehicles.

If there is a trooper around, they will get pulled over. But seeing troopers doing speeding details is few and far between these days.

Back