K & N air Filter...worth the price?

Well, in the same train of thought, there's not too much evidence that over - extended oil changes, 200km mi on spark plugs, unspecified oil usage or lesser quality gas cause the engine blow-up...

Well, in the same train of thought, there's not too much evidence that over - extended oil changes, 200km mi on spark plugs, unspecified oil usage or lesser quality gas cause the engine blow-up...

You know it's not the same thing, but I'll play along. So how bout I stay using the AEM dryflow air filter on my CX-5. I'll wash it every 50k miles or so or if it is really dirty. And you can do an over extended oil change on your CX-5. We check back in at 100k miles. Deal?

Yeah, but what's the evidence...

We will provide the evidence when we check back in at 100k miles. By then I can tell people if the lesser filtration capabilities on the AEM air filter resulted in engine problems or worse, a blown up engine. You can give the same report with regards to over extended oil changes.

Though really, I'll be too scared to try consecutive over extended oil changes. Lubrication is key to healthy engine. An over extended oil change means the oil won't be doing a good job of lubricating the engine, which means more wear and tear on the engine. Possibly not enough to blow it up though, but I don't know that. That's where we need the evidence/report at 100k miles.

An air filter causing total engine failure? A bit of a stretch I'd say.
Heck, I remember running my cars for weeks without any air filter in them at all, with zero damage.
Maybe I just live in a clean air city or something, and it's not a big deal here. Who knows.
At the same time, maybe we're overthinking this whole air filter thing here.
Clean, replace, whatever.
Just make it part of your regular maintenance routine, and we'll all be fine.
Peace and happiness to all at this time of year. (drinks)

Have you thought of trying the JBR drop in filter? Had it on my mazda 3 and that was the first thing I did on the cx-5 as well. It won't add power but gives better throttle response. JBR filter is similar to the k&n one but without oil. The oem filter makes the car feel as if it has a stuffy nose, can breathe better after swapping filter.

Heck, I remember running my cars for weeks without any air filter in them at all, with zero damage.
Maybe I just live in a clean air city or something, and it's not a big deal here. Who knows.

I also think we are overthinking the whole drop in air filter thing. The last thing I'm going to say about it is, I really believe that oem replacement drop in air filters will not cause engine problems, provided they are from a reputable manufacturer and are installed correctly. If people want to run oem air filters, that's fine with me. If people want to run aftermarket drop in air filters, I think your car will be fine.

Have you thought of trying the JBR drop in filter? Had it on my mazda 3 and that was the first thing I did on the cx-5 as well. It won't add power but gives better throttle response. JBR filter is similar to the k&n one but without oil. The oem filter makes the car feel as if it has a stuffy nose, can breathe better after swapping filter.

The only reason I didn't go for the JBR drop in filter is because it was more expensive than the AEM dryflow drop in filter. I believe I paid around $30 for the AEM, while the JBR drop filter in costs somewhere around $50.

So I really need to this question. Is there any data on blown engines due to OEM replacement aftermarket air filters? Like have there been car engines that have blown up because a K&N or AEM air filter lets in too much dirt than OEM filters?

The reason I ask is because I feel like there is too much concern placed on the filtration capabilities of the filters, whereas I'm more worried about blowing up my engine due to tuning or my trans going out, both of which don't involve oem replacement airbox filters. Am I missing something here?

No, but is there any real data showing that the filter helps a darn thing? no. However, I do recall reading that one Porsche club racer would leakdown test his car after every 500 miles. The K&N produced some sad results, while the factory filters resulted in less leak-down than before the race, as things seated in and didn't get sand-blasted.

It was years ago, but it was part of why I pulled all my K&N's out.

Maybe you would ask yourself why OEM's don't use them?

You want something GOOD? Cosworth. When they make one for the CX5 airbox, it will be the best option, IMO

I have K&N. Its only been 3months yes its cost saving in the long run not having to replace filter every year.

In terms of performance it was very hard to notice (for me) the gains or small change in exhaust note. you would have to go with CAI or SRAI to see 5hp gains and exhaust sound difference....

I however found the car to be a little peppy when using high octane 93. I think it boost hp because mazda skyactive engine has higher compression ratio.

The best investment would be to turbo the cx 5 like the cx9 or new mazda 6. 250bhp and 310Nm would be great. If only there was an option available.... sigh

I have K&N. Its only been 3months yes its cost saving in the long run not having to replace filter every year.

In terms of performance it was very hard to notice (for me) the gains or small change in exhaust note. you would have to go with CAI or SRAI to see 5hp gains and exhaust sound difference....

I however found the car to be a little peppy when using high octane 93. I think it boost hp because mazda skyactive engine has higher compression ratio.

The best investment would be to turbo the cx 5 like the cx9 or new mazda 6. 250bhp and 310Nm would be great. If only there was an option available.... sigh

Do us a favor if you really care. Take the intake hose/tube off, and behind the filter place a smear of very heavy grease. Then check it in a week and tell us what you see on it ;) Better yet, photograph it before/after your week of driving! Then explain to us how you're cool (or not) with the results of it.

Oh, and stop whining, like, you got cylinder deactivation for 2018 for crying out loud! What more could you possibly want than what noone asked for!?

No, but is there any real data showing that the filter helps a darn thing? no. However, I do recall reading that one Porsche club racer would leakdown test his car after every 500 miles. The K&N produced some sad results, while the factory filters resulted in less leak-down than before the race, as things seated in and didn't get sand-blasted.

It was years ago, but it was part of why I pulled all my K&N's out.

Maybe you would ask yourself why OEM's don't use them?

You want something GOOD? Cosworth. When they make one for the CX5 airbox, it will be the best option, IMO
No, but I've never claimed any performance gains either from using their drop in filters. Like I said previously, the main reason to get them is reusability and not having to buy filters every 20k miles or so.

OEMs most likely don't use them because it is cheaper to just use paper filters. It also keeps customers coming back to buy replacements every 20k miles or so. So it is tiny bit extra income for them.

What makes the Cosworth filters special? I don't think the CX-5 is sporty enough to have Cosworth even consider creating drop in filters for it.

How do you know there was "zero damage"?

I put a K&N in my Acura. I probably oil it at 50K mile increments. I don't think about it. It does make a marked difference in engine sound, from silent to a low growl. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but then I came to like the sound. Never occurred to me that it would affect the sound until I heard it.

How do you know there was "zero damage"?

I know because I keep my cars a long time (at least ten years).
Even after running with no air filters, those cars ran for years with no performance degradation or mechanical faults.
No increased oil consumption, or drop in mpg's etc. That's how.

K & N Air Filter...I don't mind paying $54 for the filter, but is it worth it? What results has any members had with this filter upgrade?

As you've seen your question usually becomes a he said - he said kind of thing with no data.

Is the K&N worth it? In the end it depends how long you keep your rig.

Last edited:
No, but I've never claimed any performance gains either from using their drop in filters. Like I said previously, the main reason to get them is reusability and not having to buy filters every 20k miles or so.

OEMs most likely don't use them because it is cheaper to just use paper filters. It also keeps customers coming back to buy replacements every 20k miles or so. So it is tiny bit extra income for them.

What makes the Cosworth filters special? I don't think the CX-5 is sporty enough to have Cosworth even consider creating drop in filters for it.

They make filters for a ton of vehicles.

I hate cleaning and perfectly re-oiling, and de-oiling MAF wires, and...f that. You work too hard, lol

I hate cleaning and perfectly re-oiling, and de-oiling MAF wires, and...f that. You work too hard, lol

+1. K&N is too much trouble for me, I won't even consider it, as I'm not convinced there is any added benefit. The paper filter is not that expensive and I do my own oil changes.

What makes the Cosworth filters better than the K&N or even the AEM dryflow air filters? The AEM dryflow air filters don't need to be oiled. Just wash and dry.

------------------

This question is not really aimed at you Unob, but for everyone, how much do you all pay for an OEM replacement air filter for your CX-5? And where are you buying them?

So I really need to this question. Is there any data on blown engines due to OEM replacement aftermarket air filters? Like have there been car engines that have blown up because a K&N or AEM air filter lets in too much dirt than OEM filters?

The reason I ask is because I feel like there is too much concern placed on the filtration capabilities of the filters, whereas I'm more worried about blowing up my engine due to tuning or my trans going out, both of which don't involve oem replacement airbox filters. Am I missing something here?

I don't believe switching to a K&N will yield a failed engine due to lower efficiency.
Most engines these days fail from some other reason or other parts of the vehicle fail before dust wear causes an engine to fail.
You'll lose performance(i.e. compression) faster, but I would say it's rare that the engine would fail altogether from a lower efficient filter.
I will still stick with the OEM style filter for 2 main reasons: maintain the performance as long as possible and I would never see the payback.

Why are you replacing a standard style filter every year?

What makes the Cosworth filters better than the K&N or even the AEM dryflow air filters? The AEM dryflow air filters don't need to be oiled. Just wash and dry.

------------------

This question is not really aimed at you Unob, but for everyone, how much do you all pay for an OEM replacement air filter for your CX-5? And where are you buying them?

Considering I live in the desert, I can attest that the AEM's actually really do protect the MAF from dust. The protection is there. Think of it as a cleanable OEM filter that other than allow you to rev more freely produces same HP/TQ as stock. Worth $30 to me.

Cleans with mild soapy water.

Back